Boxing

Hello all,

Recently I have discovered a LOVE for boxing

Any tips to make myself better, stronger and fitter?

This can include technique, footwork and any general advice

Thanks in advance

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    YouTube has many good videos.
  • sameeya2121
    sameeya2121 Posts: 15 Member
    Ok
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Hello all,

Recently I have discovered a LOVE for boxing

Any tips to make myself better, stronger and fitter?

This can include technique, footwork and any general advice

Thanks in advance

Everlast has streaming and dvds. Boxing is a great sport all the way around. Have fun is #1 rule.
  • sameeya2121
    Yes I agree!
    I’ve been previously following NateBowerFitness on YouTube, but will definitely try Everlast
    Thank you
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Have you heard of 9Round? Awesome 30 minute full body kickboxing gym. Look it up.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited September 2018
    Pick classes with a good instructor
    Let your instructor know if you have any injuries, modify any moves according to his/her instructions
    Always wear your dental guard just in case - dentists's offices are not fun places
    Form first, then speed
    Always keep your hands up to guard your face
    Fabric softener in your gloves after sessions will keep them smelling fresh

Have fun!
  • 777Gemma888
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Let your instructor know if you have any injuries, modify any moves according to his/her instructions
    Always wear your dental guard just in case - dentists's offices are not fun places
    Form first, then speed

Have fun!

Great tip. So wipe it clean first, then fabric softener?
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Join your local ABC

I boxed throughout my teens and early 20s, but decided being punched in the face and the potential cosmetic damage post sparring/fighting was not a good look to wear to the office lol
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Form first, then speed

Have fun!

Yup - you got it!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Are we talking "boxing" type workouts or actually stepping into the ring and trading blows with someone?

I boxed in my teens - eventually had to have reconstructive surgery to fix some cosmetic issues. My wife loves to beat on the mitts but if I ever whopped her with them she'd probably scream bloody murder. lol
  • LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    Form first, then speed

Have fun!

The fabric softener helps, but you should really wash your wraps, or wear clean ones, every class. Once your gloves start to smell it's all downhill....trust me, I've tried everything!
  • 777Gemma888
    Form first, then speed

Have fun!

The fabric softener helps, but you should really wash your wraps, or wear clean ones, every class. Once your gloves start to smell it's all downhill....trust me, I've tried everything!

That does sound gross... If washing it with an enzyme eater, vodka sanitiser and fabric softener fails ... It will definitely be time to change them.

Thanks for the heads up.
  • sameeya2121
    I think many people meant in the ring Personally I meant boxing as a workout
    But these experiences and tips are great regardless
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Welcome to the obsession!!! I spray out my gloves with the sanitizing spray provided by my gym to wipe down the bags, equipment, etc. I alternate wraps so each one has a chance to air out and dry before I use it again. I only wash them every other week, but I soak them in vinegar and baking soda when I do. There are VERY different styles, and every gym I've gone to have been vastly different, so it's hard to give any other advice not know what your current style is.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    My town has a bunch of gyms that offer various forms of boxing options from cardio boxing fitness classes to mixed martial arts training. Most of these are fitness classes, so you are not actually getting hit or hitting anyone else. You could check GroupOn or Living Social for a week pass or punch card to try out some options in your area. Some gyms offer the first class free or for a small fee like $10.

I personally have a membership at a Title Boxing Club. My gym offers a variety of group classes (boxing, kickboxing, MMA, women's weight lifting, TRX, etc.) as well as personal training and small group training (working mitts with a trainer, lifting weights, etc.).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Boxing means sparring. I assume you are doing cardio kickboxing or just plain kick boxing.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Boxing means sparring. I assume you are doing cardio kickboxing or just plain kick boxing.

Boxing doesn't just mean sparring. The group I was in our coach had us doing lots of bag drills, conditioning, foot work drills, and mitt work. Sparring was only a part of it.

I personally love boxing but our coach left the gym I'm at. I've continued running a lot of the drill workouts she used to have us do though to improve my fitness and form. I'd love to get more formal again with my training when the opportunity presents itself.

You can also download a free app called Heavy Bag which will guide you through some pretty good bag workouts
  • allanhudson12
    allanhudson12 Posts: 2 Member
    There is nothing better than boxingbtraining for fitness speed and power
  • sameeya2121
    No I’m not just sparring, even though it’s an important part of boxing. Footwork and bag are key too!