is it bad to lose more than 2 pounds per week?

Hi :) I recently signed up. I'm very new to all this stuff >.< I noticed when I signed up their was a question about "What is your goal?" and the highest was Lose 2 pounds per week so I clicked that because I really want to lose weight fast. I was wondering why wasn't their no other higher options than 2 pounds? Is it bad to lose more than 2 pounds per week? I was just very curious because I just really want lose weight fast i'm tired of having fat belly.

i'm not sure of my actual weight but i remember the last time i was weighed i was somewhere around 300-320. i know i will need to get a weight scale i'm going order one today from amazon and food scaler too. Honestly i don't know what my weight goal is I just want lose the fat

i'm also curious at around what weight would the fat be coming off?

It's weird too because AFAIK It was never my fault I got fat n the first place. When i was a child i was told i had bronchitis or something in i couldn't breathe in i had to take steroids or else i would've died. But i'm here now in have the mindset to lose the weight cause i'm very tired of being fat. I keep putting myself down because of it. When i'm around others i just feel very uncomfortable because of the fat & put myself down more & more. It's now the time to lose the weight i'm really tired of it. it starts now :)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Around 1% of your weight is a rule of thumb for max rate of loss.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Around 1% of your weight is a rule of thumb for max rate of loss.

Going by this, OP could safely lose 2-3lbs per week, since they weigh ~300lbs
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Weight loss is as much about mindset as physical loss. While you're losing weight, work on your self esteem, because if you don't end up with the body you may be expecting, you might negatively focus on what you don't have rather than the success you achieve, and you might start putting yourself down over some other aspect of your body you're uncomfortable with. Humans are kind of primed to never be satisfied, especially with something as slow as weight loss can be, and sometimes we can go from berating ourselves for being fat to berating ourselves for not being thin enough. So if you do have any self esteem or body anxiety issues, start dealing with them as soon as you can.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi :) I recently signed up. I'm very new to all this stuff >.< I noticed when I signed up their was a question about "What is your goal?" and the highest was Lose 2 pounds per week so I clicked that because I really want to lose weight fast. I was wondering why wasn't their no other higher options than 2 pounds? Is it bad to lose more than 2 pounds per week? I was just very curious because I just really want lose weight fast i'm tired of having fat belly.

The max MFP will go is 2lbs a week because it is the recommended max for safe/healthy weight loss without doctor supervision.
    1.b. Rate of weight loss—A reasonable time line for weight loss is to achieve a 10 percent reduc- tion in body weight over 6 months of therapy. For overweight patients with BMIs in the typical range of 27 to 35, a decrease of 300 to 500 kcal/day will result in weight losses of about 1⁄2 to 1 lb/week and a 10 percent weight loss in 6 months. For more severely obese patients with BMIs ≥ 35, deficits of up to 500 to 1,000 kcal/day will lead to weight losses of about 1 to 2 lb/week and a 10 percent weight loss in 6 months.
    From page 72 of:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/ob_gdlns.pdf
    Moreover, with rapid weight reduction, there is an increased risk for gallstones and, possibly, elec- trolyte abnormalities.
    Also from page 72 of:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/ob_gdlns.pdf
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Have you seen a Dr.? Because as someone who when I started my weightloss journey here in May of 2018 with a bunch of health issues as well. I did check with my Dr's, and actually went to see a Dietician to help me with a good solid diet plan. Of Calories but more importantly of breakdown of Carbs, Fats, Protein, Fiber and so on. By going this route I was put on a bit stricter diet than the standard that is set up on MFP. But only because I was under medical advice and not just doing it on my own. I see my dietician twice a month. I understand what works for one person may not work for others. Nor am I pushing this route. But when someone has much weight to lose, and potentially health issues other than just being overweight/obese it is a good idea to get medical ok.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    heumpirej wrote: »
    You can lose more than 2 pounds a week. The rule that you can't is old and is a myth.

It’s not that you can’t. It’s a question of should you and whether or not it is healthy to do so. National Institute of Health does not recommend rapid weight loss.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    heumpirej wrote: »
    You can lose more than 2 pounds a week. The rule that you can't is old and is a myth.

Sure - I could eat ridiculously low calories and lose a kitten-ton of weight per week. But I'm sort of attached to having hair. And fingernails. And muscles (like my heart).

OP - with your stats it's likely you will lose more than 2 pounds per week in the beginning, but you can expect that to slow down as you lose more. At ~143 and with only 8 pounds to go, my weekly losses are glacial (I've started looking at it monthly instead, although I weigh every day and track my trend).
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    OP please read all the Getting Started best of. It will give you 98% of the information you need to be successful with your weight loss journey. You have to log well and stick to it over a long period of time. However, in a year if you stick to it you will be a total different person.
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    My two cents... We want to create lasting change. Drastic & quick weight loss is usually not sustainable long term. We didn’t gain the weight overnight so we are not going to lose it overnight, either. I’m actually hoping to lose the weight slowly (but steadily!) because I don’t want my metabolism to slow down. I want my weight loss to be something I can maintain. Small changes will lead to big progress! You can do it!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    I once went on a very low calorie diet and extreme amounts of cardio and lost weight really fast. The problem was that it messed up my sleep (had insomnia), was very lethargic, and lost a lot of hair. I won't do that again. I don't think it's a good idea to try to lose too fast based on my experience.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Set your goal at the 2 pounds, in the beginning you may lose a little more than two. But remember those weeks when the scale doesn't move much things are evening out. Good luck my friend, you got this :)