I Still Have Chronic Obesity (even a year into maintenance . . .)

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I too can relate totally to this post. I am still in the losing it phase, down 60 and that much more to go. I was never the thin child, was overweight, chunky, plump, fat. And yes obese for decades. So it really is an ingrained mindset in many ways. At this point in time, I cope by not allowing trigger foods in the house at all. Maybe some day but for now, I know I am better off with them not in the house. But yes, I feel the same that the pounds given a microdot chance will come hustling back. So I weigh everything, eat lots of veges for volume, and try to keep starchy food low. But this post I am giving a yellow star so I can find and review over and over as I totally get it.
  • lk2011
    lk2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Very insightful and inspiring! I, too, will be bookmarking this post to come back when I need those words of hope, encouragement and understanding.
  • Excellent insight and it articulates well exactly how I feel too. Thank you. I have printed your post and included it my journal I keep. Resonates with alot of folks and for good reason. Keep on keeping on.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    SKintsch wrote: »
    Decades ago, an ex gave me some motivational tapes from Zig Ziglar. One of the most helpful things I remember from those tapes was his philosophy on reaching goals. He said: "Ask yourself, does that act take you closer to or further away from your goal?" I try to ask myself this with every tough decision -- spending, eating, family matters, etc. It is now a healthy habit for my thought process. I'm still "falling off the wagon", but I won't let myself fall too far. My best regards to all.

Wow. Such a good quote to think about. Another one I think of is "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't make yourself one of them."
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    This absolutely nails it for me too, I haven't been an ideal weight for 29 years, I gradually got bigger and bigger but then decided to do something about it 15yrs ago, lost 6st and vowed I would never be fat again. 15yrs later here I am bigger than I ever was and losing it again. I know if I don't keep using tools like MFP and my fitbit I will relapse and the cycle will start again. To explain it in the way the OP has makes perfect sense to me and reinforces why this must now be my norm.
    Well done for reaching your goal 😊
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    It's the same idea as someone being an alcoholic even if they've been sober for years.
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    "Chronic obesity" is a unique way to identify my issues with weight gain and loss, repeatedly. As @seska422 said, it's comparable to a recovered alcoholic.

I agree that the comparison to alcoholism is probably apt. While obesity doesn't have the same horrific life and relationship-shattering consequences, there is still that mindset that in order to keep the monster at bay, you have to realize that it's never gone.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Blue Bell and a bluebonnet. That's a Texas gal! If it can help, Blue Bell has a No Sugar Added vanilla which is half the calories of their regular. It's a good vanilla.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Blue Bell and a bluebonnet. That's a Texas gal! If it can help, Blue Bell has a No Sugar Added vanilla which is half the calories of their regular. It's a good vanilla.

Haha, you indeed spotted me! I am not a native Texan, just recently transplanted here, and soon moseying along my way. :) I haven't tried the no-sugar added Blue Bell--I will have to give it a shot!
    I too can relate totally to this post. I am still in the losing it phase, down 60 and that much more to go. I was never the thin child, was overweight, chunky, plump, fat. And yes obese for decades. So it really is an ingrained mindset in many ways. At this point in time, I cope by not allowing trigger foods in the house at all. Maybe some day but for now, I know I am better off with them not in the house. But yes, I feel the same that the pounds given a microdot chance will come hustling back. So I weigh everything, eat lots of veges for volume, and try to keep starchy food low. But this post I am giving a yellow star so I can find and review over and over as I totally get it.

Ice cream has definitely been a temptation for me. For about the first nine months of counting calories I didn't keep it in the house. However, for the last long while I have been able to pretty easily enjoy it in moderation. I think that it's important to remember that not every moment is the same. This last weekend I was missing my husband, hadn't gotten eight hours of sleep in a couple weeks, and I had too much spare time on my hands. Not a good combo for solid decision making there. I hesitate to say "absolutely no" to something because that tends to make me want it all the more. However, I think that I need to work on considering challenges that may come up and my mental state when I go grocery shopping. This month is not the month for me to buy ice cream! When my husband comes home I think I will be much more likely to be able to return to a healthy relationship with it.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    OP, thanks for taking the time to share your well-thought-out reflections - they are very much in-line with my own feelings and approach to maintenance, so hit a real note with me. :)
  • phaniea69
    phaniea69 Posts: 9 Member
    I absolutely love this way of thinking about obesity. This was a total light bulb moment for me. Thank you for sharing!
  • Ademann1
    Ademann1 Posts: 47 Member
    I love how you put this. I can see how some would be worried that you are setting yourself up as a victim of a disease but I think it’s more of an honest, gentle way of dealing with your strengths and weaknesses. I especially love the idea that a binge is just a flare up, not an indicator of moral failings at large!

I’ve gone through a moderate food addiction recovery program and I’ve never been an alcoholic but I can see how the 12 steps help with both situations.
  • klincolnlog
    klincolnlog Posts: 5 Member
    Your post is very helpful to me!! Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!