TEAM: Gutbusters (October)

AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215 or Craig @craigo3154 .

Replies

• Mariamamjad
    Mariamamjad Posts: 83 Member
    Hi, I thought I'd introduce myself, my name is mariam, I am a mother to 6 children my youngest being 8 weeks old, after having a csection and gaining weight (more after the pregnancy than during) I really want to lose as much as I can so I can feel better in myself, my goal is to altogether lose between 40/50 lbs but aim to lose 14 lbs during this challenge, anyway that's me can't wait meet u all xx
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Hello I was on here when biggest loser started. Since then I've had a second child and been on medicine that I gained weight on twice postpartum. I've been very slack trying to lose weight on my own and I know this group always motivated me, so I'm back. I'm 37 years old and my aim is to fit into size 8 aus/UK shorts and/or two size 10 dresses hanging in my cupboard by the end of the month.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    September 26
    Exercised?: Yes (5km in 38mins - hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Managed to get a walk in before evening phone conference with Spain (again).

Worked from home.

Not much else to report.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for September 26 is dips ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    September 26

Worked from home.

Not much else to report.

Daily Strength challenge

3 sets
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins

Done! Feeling depressed as I managed 10, 6 and 5... I used to 3 sets of 15 with legs extended... I have a long way to go .. :'(
  • craigo3154
    Cross posting from September as I found this interesting enough to expand on.
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    This is an interesting post if anyone is interested. I immediately identified with this woman.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697701/i-still-have-chronic-obesity-even-a-year-into-maintenance

@Rocknut53. Very interesting. I can see where a lot can identify with this.

From my point of view, obesity is a symptom, not a disease. It's indicating that there is something that is not right either with your eating habits (food choices), or the way your body processes food.

The modern food industry is heavily driven by profit, not the benefit of the consumer. As such, long shelf life foods that are calorie dense and cheap to produce (usually heavily government subsidised) are prolific. When you can make profit from something, you spend money on influencing and advertising to continue to make a profit. Consequently, funded studies, education, government backed food organisations, etc.. have questionable motives.

What can be done?
    1. Teach the people about health, nutrition, macros and how the body processes food. (science based research, reproducible results, method and results published, researched aimed at finding information rather than targeting to prove a hypothesis, ideally NOT interest group funded - a lot of my research was through pub-med and I needed to learn a lot of medical terminology to wade through the data).
    2. Encourage people to experiment with their diet and activity to find a balance that works for them (not everyone processes the same food in the same way). Any change must be able to be made forever. If the change is too hard, it can never become habit.

Tracking is ESSENTIAL to diet/lifestyle experimentation. Only by tracking can you know what the start point was, what has been changed and what the result is.

Before experimenting, get a medical (blood tests), check to see if you have any known conditions that may be affected by experimentation (hyperthyroidism, type II, reduced liver function, etc...).

Experiment till you find out what works for you.

Once you get the right mix of eating and activity as an easy habit to maintain, weight is MUCH easier to keep in line.

Through experimentation, I found I do not process gluten the way I should (not celiac, just sensitive). Solution for me is to limit gluten where possible.

I see myself as gluten sensitive, not normal with "obese" tendencies.

I also limit snacks so I can have better meals. If I find myself hunting for food between meals, drink something first (water or unsweetened tea) and wait 20 minutes. Often hunger is a sign of dehydration (or boredom). If still wanting food after 20 minutes, find something small, high fat (like nuts) or high protein (dried meat) to snack on as it induces satiety. I carry high fat/protein snacks with me most days when out of the house.

Small changes at a time. Weight management is a long term activity, not just something you do for a month or three.
  • craigo3154
    edited September 2018
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Daily Strength challenge

3 sets

Done! Feeling depressed as I managed 10, 6 and 5... I used to 3 sets of 15 with legs extended... I have a long way to go .. :'(

@Sparx_81. I am elated you did the exercise. Dips are one of the hardest.

When not used to them 10, 6 and 5 is a great result. You are where you are now, not what you used to be. It's the old use it or lose it problem. Triceps are not often used for heavy lifting in daily life.

Be proud. You have done well.

Building lean muscle mass is the quickest way to increase metabolism. It also helps you get around in daily life with less aches and pains. :)
  • 12Sarah2015
    Hi guys this week will be a bit crazy for me. My grandma is in hospital, doing well now. But I will be travelling with children to my parents. I will be without a pram so no exercise, and my parents are unhealthy eaters. I will also be doing my next weighin potentially on a different scale. So not envisaging I will be much help at losing weight this week, sorry!
  • Mariamamjad
    September 26

Worked from home.

Not much else to report.

Daily Strength challenge

3 sets

Exercised: no (cant do certain exercises due to having csection 8 weeks ago)
    Calories: no, over by 20 😭
    Tracked: yes
  • Sparx_81
    Exercise: yes, 30 mins spin class, 20 Mon run (c25k w1d2), few weights
    Plus walk to school for drop off and pick up and walked to the gym! :-)

Calories: over allocation - nearly 1800 instead of 1200 but I ate back some of the exercise calories! Still showing a definite of 400 when exercise is included (though I don't trust the exercise calories! )

Tracked: yes!
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Hi guys this week will be a bit crazy for me. My grandma is in hospital, doing well now. But I will be travelling with children to my parents. I will be without a pram so no exercise, and my parents are unhealthy eaters. I will also be doing my next weighin potentially on a different scale. So not envisaging I will be much help at losing weight this week, sorry!

@12Sarah2015 It's tough when family is sick and worried. I'm glad your grandma is doing better, though.

Don't worry about helping the group with losing weight - this week or any week. Winning as a group is fun, but we're all in this weight loss game for our individual success, right?

Instead, focus on something that you can do while you're away, like writing down what you eat. Even if you're not able to accurately track the calories because you're eating home-cooked meals, being conscious of estimating the serving sizes and writing down what you eat will help -- it will help you establish a pattern of tracking that you will rely on when you get home again.

What do you think? Would that be a realistic goal for your time away, or is there a different process-related goal you'd like to focus on?
  • 12Sarah2015
    Spent 25&26
    Exercise yes calories yes tracked yes. Exercise was aerobics and walking.
    Shopped in my wardrobe today. Found a dress I can wear to work so no need to buy anything.
    Yes i think I can focus on smaller portion sizes.
  • Mariamamjad
    For the 27th
    Exercise no
    Calories yes
    Tracked yes
  • Sparx_81
    27th
    Exercise: no formal exercise, just walking son to Montessori, so covered approx 7km
    Calories: over allocation as I the some exercise calories back
    Tracked: yes
  • craigo3154
    September 28
    Exercised?: No
    Calories?: No

Conscious decision to be over today (and not have activity)

Lunch with parent (who I had not seen in 6 months). Home after dark. Large lunch, chicken dinner, but then chocolate to start to build up some reserves for trip to Spain (as running low and was under-prepared for last trip).

Will still make circle as normal day planned for tomorrow, then travelling where I usually get under-fed as well as airport hopping for extra activity.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for September 28 is sit-ups or crunches (abs day - be sure to use a mat or towel for cushioning - )

2 sets
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

The reason for only 2 sets for this exercise is that it ideally should be balanced with back strengthening exercises (which plank variants provide).
  • craigo3154
    September 29
    Exercised?: Yes (6km in 46 mins - hills)

Last forest walk for a while. Flying to Spain tonight for 2 weeks.

My wife made my favourite dinner (roast lamb).

Now to pack for 2:00am taxi ride to airport followed by 24+ hours travel.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for September 29 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Username: Jojoboxing
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Starting Weight: today 262.1lb

hopefully i did not miss the cutoff to join.
  • 90kgToNewMe
    90kgToNewMe Posts: 52 Member
    September 30
    Exercised?: Yes
This discussion has been closed.