Doing low carb

2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Well, I suck . I was doing really well keeping my carbs below 20 . Till today , I couldn't leave the french bread alone. Made myself a cheese and turkey sandwich on french bread. :open_mouth: Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I got this! >:) Before anyone says, I would keep the bread out of my house, but other people live there and buy it. ugh!
    Don't take it personally. It just means that what you are trying to do, is pointless and difficult, and people generally suck at making pointless, difficult things actually lead to useful results.

Ask yourself if you really just don't want to lose weight. It sounds absurd, of course it does, but think about it. The dynamics in social relationships changes when someone loses weight. Gaining weight can be seen as a punishment for the "sin" of eating too much, or eating enjoyable food, and sins must be confessed, and the act must be punished. Dieting can become a hobby, an obsession, and is often social glue - have you seen how many posts there are with people "confessing" to eating this or that, or boasting about what they have resisted, or eaten a "yummy healthy" meal? What do you and your colleagues talk about at lunch? Expectations of what you should be able to do, how you will look and be perceived, once you lose weight, can be scary and unrealistic. Eating is enjoyable, setting boundaries means saying no to pleasureable things. Helplessness can feel good, because it reminds us of when we were children, when someone helped us. Having rules that make you resentful just makes you want to break them. None of these issues are things we like to think about or admit, but to change habits permanently, we need to challenge our assumptions and change our mindset, and that can be difficult, but it's a positive and meaningful difficult task.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    I’ve been low carb for a little over a month. I tried a few different Keto bread recipes but honestly didn’t find them very satisfying. I’m on a 1350 calorie diet, I’d much rather eat a giant buffalo chicken, bacon and avocado salad then a small piece of fake pizza, but that’s just me.
    Here is my absolute favorite snack, Parmesan cheese crisps, we make them with just 1/2 teaspoon of cheese in mini muffin pans and bake until crispy. Make a few trays at a time because you can eat a ton of them!!! Perfect little cracker for dipping.
    Also I don’t eat breakfast on Keto, I’m not hungry until lunch time. Just 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream and pyure stevia .
    Good luck, you can do this! It’s amazing for controlling insulin spikes.
  • danlincou
    danlincou Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    Well, I suck . I was doing really well keeping my carbs below 20 . Till today , I couldn't leave the french bread alone. Made myself a cheese and turkey sandwich on french bread. :open_mouth: Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I got this! >:) Before anyone says, I would keep the bread out of my house, but other people live there and buy it. ugh!
    You can do this: Meal planning, lots of yummy recipes, drink tons of water and putting those temptations in top cabinets so you don't have to see them. When we are hungry we grab for anything available, especially the forbidden french bread. This is my second week and I am doing good so far. I have done a few recipes from flav city on YouTube and liked them a lot. Good luck.
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Thank you all for the ideas and letting me know it's okay to fall of the wagon perse' once in a while. AND yes, I know my blood sugar spiked because of it. Don't have test strip right now but carbs always makes it spike to 200. If I stay away from , keep it low I can keep my sugar at 130 or less. I do want to shed at least 30 more pounds also. I want back into my skinny jeans! Thanks for the support! :#o:)
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2018
    As an avid runner 5 days a week and box once a week, just wondering where anyone gets energy to workout with cutting carbs? I find the days I haven't had as many carbs as I usually do, I seem to run out of energy half way through my run and feel more tired than usual. When I have a regular carb day, I can run all day and feel great. Maybe instead of worrying about cutting carbs, try and keep your total calorie intake to what fits you best. I've been sticking to my 1800 calories a day and along with my workouts, I stay at my weight I want to stay at eating what I want. Wouldn't hurt to try something different to see if it works. This may not work for everyone, but it may work for you.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    If you keep your carbs around 100-150 grams per day you can eat starches like potato, rice, etc with blood sugar problems. That is about 2-3 pieces of fruit and 2-3 servings of starch. This is still low carbs. But, you will feel more satiated with a little bit of carbs. The problem is if you are low but not very low you are kind of playing in and out of ketosis which is a problem. Therefore the lower limit of 100 grams but if you don't overeat carbs your liver and muscles will be able to quickly absorb the carbs hence keeping your blood sugar low. Also helps to eat the starch with a meal to slow digestion.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    OP you may also find that losing weight helps to control your blood sugar as well and you might be able to increase your carb intake. I previously lost (and unfortunately gained back) 50 lbs about two years ago. I was able to cut my diabetes medication by 75% while still having the same carb allowance. If I would have kept going I am curious to see if I could have increased my carb intake.

Remember to let your meter (and other health markers) be your guide. I personally have trouble with my blood sugar if I eat too little carbohydrate--my liver seems to enjoy dumping glucose into my blood stream to compensate. I find that eating a little more carb (about 100 g) but spreading it throughout the day is very helpful!

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Thank you all for the ideas and letting me know it's okay to fall of the wagon perse' once in a while. AND yes, I know my blood sugar spiked because of it. Don't have test strip right now but carbs always makes it spike to 200. If I stay away from , keep it low I can keep my sugar at 130 or less. I do want to shed at least 30 more pounds also. I want back into my skinny jeans! Thanks for the support! :#o:)

I agree by cutting the bread carbs and often times the pasta carbs out that is a tremendous assist in keeping the blood sugar numbers below the 130-140 mark. I know because that is pretty much me these days. I am staying away from grains. But I do work in my carb allotment which is 45-50 per day the treats and for me that is popcorn, and from time to time sweet potatoes 4 oz, and my real favorite low fat frozen yogurt. Not often, but enough so that I do not go hog wild. I know at 45-50 carbs it does work. Because I went from a AC1 reading of 11.4 to 6.6 from April 2018 to September 2018. So cutting back on specific type of carbs, calories overall, and more exercise, oh and 60 pounds of flab. Have been a huge help. And so you had one day you had bread that is no big deal at all, one meal. You know what to do. Lots of options, and the Parmesan crisps are fantastic I am lazy I buy in stores.