The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Does anyone else live with someone who drinks? Today was my day six and if there would of been extra alcohol available I may have given in. Does anyone have tips for the early days and constantly being around alcohol at home?
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Nomseys wrote: »
    Does anyone else live with someone who drinks? Today was my day six and if there would of been extra alcohol available I may have given in. Does anyone have tips for the early days and constantly being around alcohol at home?

Well I live with someone who drinks daily. I poured out my fav booze because I don't care for his (scotch and whiskey). Other than that, I just from and bear it and sometimes get annoyed at how nuch he is drinking (but I keep that to myself).
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    Started the Annie Grace 30-day alcohol challenge this morning. It's the first day of the rest of my life.

How wonderful! I still go back to it to watch some of the videos and to read my journal entries. I learned a lot those 30 days, it was very helpful.
  • Nomseys
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Nomseys wrote: »

Well I live with someone who drinks daily. I poured out my fav booze because I don't care for his (scotch and whiskey). Other than that, I just from and bear it and sometimes get annoyed at how nuch he is drinking (but I keep that to myself).

Thanks for responding Ruby. Yeah I try not to be nagging. I’m trying to stay my course and remind myself that my sobriety does not depend on the decisions he makes or doesn’t make.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    There was an interesting Annie Grace video about how to live with someone that continues to drink. I think it is helpful. My husband drinks still (though rarely like I did...more sensibly) and I TRY not to be resentful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7YvkzRQC8&t=7s
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    To live with someone who does the things you are avoiding can be difficult. I find reasons to be outside more. My wife still smokes and drinks when we are on vacation or out to dinner when we are back home. I swim and run so the smoking annoys me even more than the drinking since it’s every day and around the house
    I will be out early and again in the afternoon or read in another room, I have mentioned my feelings but after 45 years many of which I was the heavier drinker which she put up with I adjust and avoid being around if she is smoking
  • Nomseys
    JenT304 wrote: »
    There was an interesting Annie Grace video about how to live with someone that continues to drink. I think it is helpful. My husband drinks still (though rarely like I did...more sensibly) and I TRY not to be resentful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7YvkzRQC8&t=7s

Thank you for sharing this video. It reminded me that I just need to focus on my journey. A lot of great insight.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Good Morning to everyone B)@SisterSueGetsFit Sounds like a good plan. New start!! You CAN do this! Hoping the best for you <3
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Good Morning to everyone B)@SisterSueGetsFit Sounds like a good plan. New start!! You CAN do this! Hoping the best for you <3

Thank you! I'm ready for a positive change.
  • Nomseys
    @RubyRed427 sorry you missed out on the food, such a bummer! Thanks for the encouragement I am starting to feel pretty normal again.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Lifelong non-drinker here.

To be honest, because of the social side of drinking, had I started drinking as a teenager, I might not have the crippling depression I have now! But I'm still glad I don't.

I don't drink because:

1) Physically, it's really not a great substance to put in your system
    2) I resent how it's practically compulsory in our society - you're a weirdo/boring if you don't drink. Or if you do drink and choose not to one particular night, it MUST be because you're ill/pregnant/going insane
    3) There's no escape from it. Out with friends? Have a beer! Sad? Have a whisky. Celebrating? Champagne! Nasty shock? You need a brandy!
    4) The hypocrisy of the situation with regard to legality makes me furious
    5) Drunk people annoy, depress, and sometimes scare the hell out of me

Thanks for sharing. You made good points. I’m happy you never drank. It’s a curse, really.
    Also, alcohol causes depression and anxiety in the brain. So, imagine how much deeper your depression would be now. I hope you have a good support system. I’m sorry your depression is crippling.
  • Nomseys
    How is everyone else doing? I had a pretty easy day nine full of friends and a 3.5 mile jog!