Protein Donuts using your favorite protein pancake mix

Replies

• Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member
    Mine came out excellent using that exact recipe. I thought they had a great texture! They were light and airy and delicious. I was very careful to maintain the volume in the batter, used a mini donut pan, and cooked them a few minutes longer.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    @Crazyravr , any creative ideas on increasing the protein on these delicious little miracles?!
    crazyravr wrote: »
    My creation from last night. As shown the 3 were under 100cal. Yes. 100cal for all 3.

ch5z8cpwetu3.jpg

Deep fried donuts they are definitely not, but if you think of them as donut shaped cakes, AMAZING :)

Would you mind sharing your recipe please? They look amazing and 100 cal for all 3 is fantastic!

Get:
    2 tbsp Coconut Flour
    2 tbsp Almond or Cashew Milk
    0.50 tsp Baking Powder
    1 tsp Stevia or any Sweetener
    3 Egg Whites

Make:
    Whip the egg whites until nice and firm.
    Mix all the other ingredients and add to the egg whites.
    Gently fold everything until mixed through.
    Spray your donut pan and add the mix.
    Bake 10 minutes at 350F

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 115
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g 10 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 247 mg 10 %
    Potassium 166 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 21 %
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 13 g 26 %
    Vitamin A 1 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 7 %
    Iron 10 %

• Sallyw2004
    ppzdzopzt3nz.jpeg
    Made a batch with orange extract and cinnamon in the batter and one serving of low sugar orange marmalade in the centers when they came out of the oven (25 extra calories for tons of extra sweetness and flavor!)
  • Sallyw2004
    The one serving of marmalade was split between all 12 mini donuts and it was the perfect amount
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great ideas!
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 wrote: »
    The one serving of marmalade was split between all 12 mini donuts and it was the perfect amount

I am guessing for 25cal the serving is a TBSP. You split that up into 12 muffins???? wow lol :)

Your recipe makes 12 perfect mini donuts. The weighted single serving size of the jam, which is the equivalent of a TBSP, surprisingly fills the 12 holes (not super generously) and adds a nice punch of sweetness and flavor. It’s definitely a delicate recipe, but yields great results.
  • TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    Suggestion....... look into Walden Farms spreads. I love using them and no I dont care what sort of magic is involved.

Where do you buy your Walden products? (I'm in Canada) I bought a bottle of the pancake syrup from walmart in the states via instore pickup last time I went - it was $3! Now I look and it's something like $7 and it's out of stock - kicking myself for not ordering more last time! And the spreads look intriguing! And yeah, I don't want to know the magic involved LOL

For the Americans - are there any stores that sell this IN the store? I'm going back over shopping shortly and thought I'd just grab some if I can find it!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    s1ojelm9n8u6.jpg

I like to whip the egg whites til quite firm and then add 1/2 tsp. of Xanthum Gum, continue to whip til ensuring mixture is really firm.

Add in sifted dry ingredients (gently folded in).
    I also bake them for 12 minutes. I like them crispy - I toast them too when they soften, as I rarely eat them all in one sitting.

Adding the Gum to the whites really thicken and puff them up yielding in a few more doughnuts. I get 8 doughnuts from one recipe amount.

sorry for the blurry pic...
  • Sallyw2004

I am guessing for 25cal the serving is a TBSP. You split that up into 12 muffins???? wow lol :)

Your recipe makes 12 perfect mini donuts. The weighted single serving size of the jam, which is the equivalent of a TBSP, surprisingly fills the 12 holes (not super generously) and adds a nice punch of sweetness and flavor. It’s definitely a delicate recipe, but yields great results.

I know that and thank you. I was just impressed that you managed to spread that 1tbsp into 12 donuts lol. If that was me I would just do a tbsp for a donut haha :) but I am lazy sometimes.

Ohhhhhhhhh great idea with the filling BTW.

Suggestion....... look into Walden Farms spreads. I love using them and no I dont care what sort of magic is involved.

Walden Farms pancake syrup is a staple for me. I use it in all sorts of things, sweet and savory. I used to only use real maple syrup, but it's too calorie dense and high sugar to fit into my calorie goals on a regular basis. It's easy to find Walden Farms in many stores where I live and I can find it on sale for around $3.00 a bottle.
  • Sallyw2004
    sdwqlbr6cdjd.jpeg
    It also fills 6 slots of a mini bundt pan with great results!
  • vegmebuff
    nsxbmqp3nujm.jpg

Whipped longer and resulted in nine doughnuts only 100 calories for whole thing
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    nsxbmqp3nujm.jpg

Whipped longer and resulted in nine doughnuts only 100 calories for whole thing

Nice!!!!! :)

thanks...I love Xanthum gum:)
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Thank you so much for the recipe! This sounds delicious, I'm going to try it, maybe with chocolate whey protein!
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    the idea of this thread is that the donuts are protein rich and low calorie NOT high fat and high calorie.

Tom, where can I find your recipe for the frosting?

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Here I just used simple PB2 mixed with some cashew milk until its the right consistancy (spreadable) and it will set a bit a more more once spread. Drizzled with Walden Farms chocolate syrup.
    In the cheesecake thread I have posted frosting that I use for the cheesecake. If you cant find it I will repost or msg you.

Thanks, Tom. You are the best. And the best cook :)

• Jenneke0269
    Jenneke0269 Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2018
    I made these for the first time today, using the OP's recipe. They don't taste great, but they're not as bad as a lot of diet foods. I did chocolate with a chocolate casein "frosting". The taste honestly reminds me of a somewhat stale Hostess cake.

edit: If I could get it to work, I'd post a picture of them. 😑
  • allarounddice
    allarounddice Posts: 39 Member
    Those donuts look delish
  • TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2018
    I followed a tip posted by someone earlier and put them in the toaster oven for a few minutes to crisp them up a bit - made a big difference!

I don't have any Walden's chocolate syrup yet, I just have the pancake syrup

(crazyravr's recipe)

oudqlytualez.jpg

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    I followed a tip posted by someone earlier and put them in the toaster oven for a few minutes to crisp them up a bit - made a big difference!

I don't have any Walden's chocolate syrup yet, I just have the pancake syrup

(crazyravr's recipe)

oudqlytualez.jpg

Nice!!!!! I do the same thing. Never eat them cold and never from a microwave.

Genius idea to put them in the toaster oven!