The Healthier Me: My Journey from 600lbs

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    @justintorres2012 I’m absolutely thrilled for you!! What amazing progress! Please keep us posted and I’m off to check out your blog. Huge hugs to you :)
  • Jadesfire93
    Jadesfire93 Posts: 92 Member
    There's a thread in Chit-Chat titled "What real thing made you smile today" (or something like that). This made me smile today! Wonderful!
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Oh my gosh! Amazing! Keep at it! You're going to feel so good!
  • tyb03
    tyb03 Posts: 52 Member
    Your story is motivating and inspires me to take the next step to become healthy. Thanks for sharing & keep up the great progress :smile:
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    What great news, that's amazing progress! I'm so happy for you, looking forward to the next update.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Keep it up! You got this! <3
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    My Journey continued: Day 32

I laid awake on the night of day 30. My doctor's appointment was in the morning. I am naturally a night owl so it was already hard enough to sleep. I kept running through the past week in my head. I still couldn't believe how fun and easy this has been. Not "easy" as in I'm not putting in the work, but how just changing the type of food I was eating so not to have that "need more" feeling.

I am an emotional eater, always have been. I enjoy food! I enjoy how it feels in my mouth, how it tastes to my tongue and the feeling of it going down. I love the mental... for lack of a better word "Orgasm", that food gives me. Food was always there for me when I felt nothing else was. It gave me that comfort. That feeling of wholeness... even after binging on several double cheeseburgers and semi regretting the stomachache. Food made everything better.

Now somehow its still doing all that, but in a different way. My relationship with food has changed. I'm having fun coming up with new recipes that are low calories and high protein. It's like a challenge. This has allowed me to eat bigger portions and not get extra calories. It is also helping to fill me up.

When I woke up that morning of Day 1 and knew I was ready! Everything had clicked, every day after was like waking up on some kind of happy drug. I was full of energy, my stomach didn't feel like crap. My head was clear and my energy increased more and more each day.

I was nervous about the appointment. I knew I had been telling myself its not about the number this time around, which I fully believe, because how happy I feel. I was just worried about seeing the number and it changing everything, like it use too. I actually logged on to my health to cancel my appointed because that's how scared I was to see the number. I didn't cancel...

After tossing and turning for a few hours I woke up on Day 31. Got ready and walked out of my house for the first time in over a month. It was easier then it had been a month and a half ago. First good sign! I have been trapped in my house for the past ten months, except for going to the hospital or clinic. This time I didn't have a panic attack from being outside. I got in the car and my daughter shut the door. I fit better in the car than before, second good sign. "Are you ready?" she asked. "here we go!," I said. Off to the clinic, we went.

"Justin?" My doctor's nurse asked as she came to get me out in the waiting area. Her and my Daughter walked and I still waddled to the first room where all my nightmares started, The Weight Room! "Please step on the scale", she nicely asked. "No, you step on the scale!" I thought to myself as I step onto the "Livestock" scale I like to call it. I looked down to read the number.

Let's take a second to reflect... I weighed 613lbs. The Fitness Pal app said that if I kept eating like this, I would weigh 582lbs. So I was planning on losing at least 20lbs, no more than 30lbs. I kept telling myself that It's not about the number, it's about how I feel, and I feel amazing! So no matter what, it's just a number!!!!!

The scale read 527! I was in shock so was my daughter. Of course, the nurse didn't know what was going on and why I looked like I saw a ghost and was speechless. We walked/waddled to the appointment room. She took my vitals and said my doctor will be right with me. She left and I turned to my daughter... "Um, how much did it say?" I was in disbelief. I mean in 2007 when I was younger and had lost 100lbs in a month and a week, I had been working out every day and basically starving. So believing that I lost 86lbs was unbelievable with just eating food.

My doctor walked in not really looking at me and started talking about she had found something that might help me since it was getting harder for me to get into the clinic because of my size. She turned and looked at me and I had the biggest smile on my face. "You didn't see the cart yet did you?" I said. She looked down at the chart, then at me, then did a double take! That moment alone was worth counting calories for the month.

It was hard not making Day 31 about the numbers. It was worth it for the day tho. I am motivated more than ever. I am excited to see where my journey takes me this month. This month I plan on adding walking to my daily goals and coming up with more low-calorie meals! My next appointment is October 29th. I will not be weighing myself until then.

Thank you to everyone that has been following me. It has given me motivation and an overwhelming feeling of belonging. Remember we all can do this and to keep it about the way you feel. Its ok to slip and fall, just get right back up and keep walking.

More to come throughout the month! I'm not sure how the best way to update. hope this is it. you can follow my personal blog as well. I will be updating more there. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/justintorres2012

YES!!!!!!!!!! <3
  • joezmom13
    joezmom13 Posts: 8 Member
    WOW~ I love all the feedback. And would love to see updates. :-) If you need anyone to support you one on one, hit me up here or on face book. this is very hard, but it is also very wonderful. The pride you will feel in yourself is amazing and mind blowing. Look at my pinterest board for recipes and motivation. Or find some there yourself. ALSo, on youtube there are a ton of video bloggers who have so much helpful advice for you and there are sit and get fit videos all free and all so helpful. Have a wonderful day!!
  • Rocketts81
    Rocketts81 Posts: 13 Member
    Justin, you are an inspiration to many on here. Very best wishes on your journey towards better health and fitness. Well done, keep it going...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    My Journey continued: Day 32

I laid awake on the night of day 30. My doctor's appointment was in the morning. I am naturally a night owl so it was already hard enough to sleep. I kept running through the past week in my head. I still couldn't believe how fun and easy this has been. Not "easy" as in I'm not putting in the work, but how just changing the type of food I was eating so not to have that "need more" feeling.

I am an emotional eater, always have been. I enjoy food! I enjoy how it feels in my mouth, how it tastes to my tongue and the feeling of it going down. I love the mental... for lack of a better word "Orgasm", that food gives me. Food was always there for me when I felt nothing else was. It gave me that comfort. That feeling of wholeness... even after binging on several double cheeseburgers and semi regretting the stomachache. Food made everything better.

Now somehow its still doing all that, but in a different way. My relationship with food has changed. I'm having fun coming up with new recipes that are low calories and high protein. It's like a challenge. This has allowed me to eat bigger portions and not get extra calories. It is also helping to fill me up.

When I woke up that morning of Day 1 and knew I was ready! Everything had clicked, every day after was like waking up on some kind of happy drug. I was full of energy, my stomach didn't feel like crap. My head was clear and my energy increased more and more each day.

I was nervous about the appointment. I knew I had been telling myself its not about the number this time around, which I fully believe, because how happy I feel. I was just worried about seeing the number and it changing everything, like it use too. I actually logged on to my health to cancel my appointed because that's how scared I was to see the number. I didn't cancel...

After tossing and turning for a few hours I woke up on Day 31. Got ready and walked out of my house for the first time in over a month. It was easier then it had been a month and a half ago. First good sign! I have been trapped in my house for the past ten months, except for going to the hospital or clinic. This time I didn't have a panic attack from being outside. I got in the car and my daughter shut the door. I fit better in the car than before, second good sign. "Are you ready?" she asked. "here we go!," I said. Off to the clinic, we went.

"Justin?" My doctor's nurse asked as she came to get me out in the waiting area. Her and my Daughter walked and I still waddled to the first room where all my nightmares started, The Weight Room! "Please step on the scale", she nicely asked. "No, you step on the scale!" I thought to myself as I step onto the "Livestock" scale I like to call it. I looked down to read the number.

Let's take a second to reflect... I weighed 613lbs. The Fitness Pal app said that if I kept eating like this, I would weigh 582lbs. So I was planning on losing at least 20lbs, no more than 30lbs. I kept telling myself that It's not about the number, it's about how I feel, and I feel amazing! So no matter what, it's just a number!!!!!

The scale read 527! I was in shock so was my daughter. Of course, the nurse didn't know what was going on and why I looked like I saw a ghost and was speechless. We walked/waddled to the appointment room. She took my vitals and said my doctor will be right with me. She left and I turned to my daughter... "Um, how much did it say?" I was in disbelief. I mean in 2007 when I was younger and had lost 100lbs in a month and a week, I had been working out every day and basically starving. So believing that I lost 86lbs was unbelievable with just eating food.

My doctor walked in not really looking at me and started talking about she had found something that might help me since it was getting harder for me to get into the clinic because of my size. She turned and looked at me and I had the biggest smile on my face. "You didn't see the cart yet did you?" I said. She looked down at the chart, then at me, then did a double take! That moment alone was worth counting calories for the month.

It was hard not making Day 31 about the numbers. It was worth it for the day tho. I am motivated more than ever. I am excited to see where my journey takes me this month. This month I plan on adding walking to my daily goals and coming up with more low-calorie meals! My next appointment is October 29th. I will not be weighing myself until then.

Thank you to everyone that has been following me. It has given me motivation and an overwhelming feeling of belonging. Remember we all can do this and to keep it about the way you feel. Its ok to slip and fall, just get right back up and keep walking.

More to come throughout the month! I'm not sure how the best way to update. hope this is it. you can follow my personal blog as well. I will be updating more there. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/justintorres2012

Congratulations!!!! Wow.

Great attitude about not worrying how much you're losing. 1lb or 100lbs, progress is progress - so many forget that.

You are awesome!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Hope that was the right way to update you all! I could not find an edit button or add button! lol

Yes, updating by posting in this thread is a great way to update. It also bumps the thread back to the top so new people can see it too.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    ^^ People have different ideas about what "woo" means, but if someone believes I am wrong or offered bad advice, in this case I wish you would explain, because the OP's situation is different than the average user and I readily admit I don't know everything ;)
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    countcurt wrote: »
    So, I’m a bit conflicted here. Certainly, congratulations are in order. You’ve obviously committed yourself to losing weight and have begun to examine (in a very positive way) the factors that contributed to your situation. That is all great.

Am I the only one, though, who is worried by the rate of your loss and by your description of ‘basically starving’ yourself to achieve your loss? There are some specific health concerns with losing weight so quickly and you shouldn’t have to feel like you’re ‘starving yourself’ to get where you need to be. That feeling wears thin at some point and also prevents you from starting to learn what it feels like to be a little hungry versus very hungry versus not really hungry versus not hungry at all. You also can’t learn what if feels like to determine when you’ve eaten the amount of food you need to satisfy hunger as opposed to obliterate it.

I know I sound like a Donnie Downer here. I’d simply point out that you’ll need tools and tactics for the long game. And for health.

He commented that the last time he lost 100 pound in a month, he had been starving himself, but this time he was eating more, and not starving himself. But yes, 86# in a month does sound like a lot, but I suppose when you have 400+ to lose......
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Keep updating here @justintorres2012 You are doing an incredible job keep going we are all here for you.
    (Bookmarking to follow)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited September 2018
    pinuplove wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    ^^ People have different ideas about what "woo" means, but if someone believes I am wrong or offered bad advice, in this case I wish you would explain, because the OP's situation is different than the average user and I readily admit I don't know everything ;)

@try2again Woo, you're so awesome! :wink:

I wondered if he maybe had a lot of edema that is reflected in the loss. I shed an impressive amount of water weight following a very swollen pregnancy (totally different situation, I know, but to illustrate that the body can hold on to large amounts of water in certain circumstances).

Yeah, I wondered that too. I'm not very familiar with edema, but would think people with it probably see much larger water weight fluctuations than others, and with the drastic change in diet (likely much lower in sodium & carbs), the OP probably shed a lot of water this past month.

I think the woo was probably my woo-stalker, and of course, now that I've mentioned "woo", I'm doomed :D
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Amazing! Keep us posted on your progress!