WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    Ll
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Morning all,

Just getting it together to leave again tomorrow... but it's my last trip until Oct. 24--and this one is just Sunday to Wednesday, jam-packed, and luckily, not to El Paso, but to Midland. Means earlier flights, earlier arrivals, but I'm OK with that.

Really enjoying the cooler weather in Arkansas, not looking forward to near 90 degrees in Midland, TX, but it's so dry there that 90 degrees is more comfortable there than 80 degrees here, with high humidity. Packing this morning, after the hubby gets up, and then out to the mountain house to get the bedroom trim up and finish prepping it and the hallway for painting (hopefully tomorrow, after I leave!). Then the only paint necessary will be the kitchen and the bathroom.

Tempted to convince Corey to start taking items that aren't in use out to the house NOW--we have all the bins from our move here, but they're up high in the garage, and I need him to get them down... :blush: It's finally time to go ahead and do that, I think, and taking a pickup truck load out every time we go will be easy, and will mean the final move will be a whole lot easier.

It could happen...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas, on a cool fall morning
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,286 Member
    Machka - thank you for posting the 16 small steps to happiness! Those ideas are spot on. B) And I think spraying the bed with Eucalyptus and Lavender counts twice! What a shame about the pins. Glad to hear your DH was doing yard work and I really enjoy seeing where the Zwift is taking you! How's the tooth/cheek/head pain? Responding to antibiotics?

Lisa - how nice it will be get this trip over and done with so you can go full bore into the move. <3

Tracie - great job on the bathroom! Love those colors. ;) Want to tackle mine? Getting the cracked shower replaced in our master bath isn't that big of a deal.... but in the process of replacing it, the flooring will have to be redone, it will have to be repainted, the toilet might as well be replaced, etc. Whole $$$he-bang unless we want it to look shabby. So I'm content to leave it as it is.

Got the results of all my blood tests back yesterday, Doc said everything was PERFECT! Cholesterol down a bit and it didn't need to be - I'm thinking that's the daily avocado kicking in. Vitamin D up nicely from 2 years ago, but the B12 was off the charts. Nearly twice the upper normal range. Didn't seem to bother the Doc as liver and other tests were right in line, but I consulted Dr. Google of course and am now fretting a bit. :(

I'll talk with her this week - will immediately stop all B12 supplements and just depend on my daily multivitamin in the meantime and see if she wants me to do a retest in a month or two.

On that note, it's Saturday morning, cooling off, and I'm waiting for the sun to come up to head out for my walk and count my blessings.

Have a great weekend ladies! <3B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Thanks for the compliments on the bathroom. We bought the track for a barn style door for it this week, going to buy the door next week. Since the dryer is in place the door no longer opens properly. I’m excited for this. Then we will replace our bedroom door to match. That will be it until we can start replacing flooring throughout the living, kitchen and hallway.

Today we are going to help a friend build a gazebo. It’s supposed to have happened last weekend but the snow postponed it.

Machka - I love the 16 things for happiness. I will have to copy and incorporate some more of those. I do a lot of them already.

Tracey having a cool Fall Day in Edmonton
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Machka, After reading the 16 things for happiness that you posted, I decided to share the list I made for myself a few years ago.

Be Barbie
    Lighten up
    Do it now
    Dance more
    Choose strategy over willpower
    Cultivate an attitude of gratitude
    Come from a place of love
    Stay in the moment
    Act the way you want to feel
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Don't expect praise or recognition
    It is what it is
    Don't take things personally
    Treat yourself like a toddler
    What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa
    You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like
    Be kind, no exceptions
    Ask always, how could my life be better with less?

:)Snowflake, I loved the pictures of your bathroom. How fabulous that you'll have a barn style door. I have seen those and would love to have one. Lucky you.

:)Lanette, congrats on the good results on your blood work. All your efforts have shown results.

:) Our new neighbor brought us some plums that another neighbor had grown in his yard. I used her visit to ask to see how the remodel was going on her house and she invited me in. The interior was stripped down the framing. They are replacing walls, floors, some electric, a lot of plumbing, and adding skylights along with some roof repair. The previous owner was a woman alone with a cat. We thought that the odor in her house was the cat litter box. It turns out that the odor was mold and when the new owners searched for the mold, they found a huge nest of rats. They have a great attitude about this whole mess and are enjoying the opportunity to make everything new and fresh for themselves. They are comfortably living in their trailer in the driveway and have found workers they like and trust.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Good happiness lists. :D

I rang an old friend this morning on a ring back call that was long overdue. She just annoyed me no end prattling on about how I should have a different attitude to the move problems. Ugghh. :# No, the universe is not trying to tell me something. It's just some prats f÷×+#=÷× everything up. She nearly always gets up my nose, which is why I delayed returning the call and have avoided going to see her in years. Oh well. No one is forcing me to.
    Went out for my run to clear my brain. Listened to Fauré's Requiem and The Impossible Dream. :D
    Still gorgeous weather here. B)
    Wondering whether to go up to London, the day after my birthday, next Wednesday as a celebration. Tate Modern has a couple of things on I want to see and The Globe nearby has a decent enough restaurant for lunch. Can I be bothered? I don't feel as if I want to do anything. :| I'm in a funk.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I saw these posted on FB. I had a bit of a chuckle because there's a bunch of them that wouldn't be small steps to happiness for me ... instead, they'd probably make me really cranky!!! :lol::grin:

Sixteen Small Steps to Happiness

1. push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. go to the nearest hill with a big coat and a scarf and watch the sun rise.

2. push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.

3. erase processed food from your diet. start with no lollies, chips, biscuits, then erase pasta, rice, cereal, then bread. use the rule that if a child couldn’t identify what was in it, you don’t eat it.

4. get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic, fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. sit and eat it and do nothing else.

Machka in Oz

I do have to say that the first four in particular would make me quite the grouchy monster. You wouldn't want to be around me if I had to do those things!! :lol:

There's no happiness in getting up early, going to bed early, removing the good things from my diet, and frying stuff for breakfast ... or eating breakfast in general on a weekday!!!! :open_mouth:

I'm a sleep late, night owl who added things like bread to my diet when I embarked on a plan to lose weight and who goes through a jar of nutella every couple week ... and whose breakfast consists of black coffee and a glass of water. :grin::grin:

M in Oz

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Margaret ~ I had to laugh about your "she cave." There's an insurance commercial on recently about a woman's "she cave" burning down and her wanting the insurance to replace the "she cave."

Snowflake ~ Nice remodel! :)

M ~ Barbie: Thanks for your lists of positive things that make you happy!

Carol in GA
  • Snowflake – Love your new bathroom. That is about the same color my BF has used in all of her condo. Very restful.

Michelle – Sometimes it really is better to ‘let go and leave it’. Do what is best for your well-being; not because you have some sense of ‘having to sit back and watch it go to Hell and back because you think you have to finish out your term in office’. If someone emails me a ‘link’ – I’m not about to open up a link without some message as what I am supposed to be ‘seeing when do open it up’. And never from a 'stranger'; sometimes not even a family member or friend. Not worth having my computer ending up with a lot of trash and spam or phishing emails on it. I can put them into Junk folder; but all that does is put them into a folder; that I still have to delete as a group. Even so, when anything comes to my ‘Junk folder’ doesn’t mean it is actually junk; it is because of my security settings and it thinks it is junk.

One way to make sure the wire is behind you is to allow it to go over your shoulder while using your weed whacker. I’ve learned to do that with my vacuum cleaner.

Lanette - I don’t belong to any ‘organizations’ either. I spent a couple of years in Women’s Club when we lived in Macon (at my Mother’s insistence). It was a good way to meet new friends in town; and, we did have a lot of fun. One night when I was well into my 9th month of pregnancy; I sat down next to the MD-husband of one of my friends from Women's Club. I was pregnant when we moved to Macon and being followed weekly by the former classmate of my OB/GYN here in Albany; then at the beginning of my 8th month I started rotating through the other 5 in the practice. I had a Friday appointment with this man. He started talking to me and asked ‘when I was due’ and I gave him a date; and, even said that I’d see him on Friday. He looked at me, laughed, and then said, ‘you’re not going to make it, I’ll see you in the delivery room'. He was really nice and gentle. My how things had changed in the 27 months from when I delivered my first son.

Talking about situations of any kind of organization the preacher that married our youngest son and his wife; was making choices of people he wanted to be ‘in charge’ of certain programs in the church. One lady thought she was going to be in charge of the ‘children’s service’ and she came to him ‘expecting to be named’. He told her kindly that he had someone else in mind. She went ballistic and told him that ‘she had been at that church long before he got there and she’d be there long after he was gone’. That next Sunday, without a word spoke; he tendered his resignation and no explanation other than his vision for the church was not the direction some people wanted to see it go. He was hired as a pastor at another church in another parish (or county as we call them in Georgia). Will and Tami were going to a couple of times to a church nearer to where Will is and a lot of the students from the school where Mallory went were members there; but, the old church was just a few blocks from where they live in town. So it is a better location when they are all ‘in town’. Mallory was to serve in a position through the church to be an ambassador ‘which basically means’ that ‘if she encountered someone that she went to church with and to school with’ and they acted one way at church and the opposite way at school; she was to try to intervene and turn it around to something positive. Not that she is expected to ‘tattle’ on whoever; just to let them know that bullying another was unacceptable if he or she acted like a ‘saint’ at church. Mallory is really involved at school and at church. Will has decided that since he is always so busy on weekends during hunting season; he will take her to church on Wednesdays and Tami will take her on Sundays and they’d both go when he is ‘in town’ for the weekend.

Just about any organization – civic or church related go through splits when one person is elected to a high position; but, tries to change things in hopes that it will grow. Like the Methodist Church in my home town. Not a lot of parking other than city parking; but, they do have a portico where if it is raining people could get out and then the only one needing an umbrella would be the driver. Half the people wanted to rebuild out of town and focus on having a gymnasium and workout room and pool (basically making it a ‘church community social club’; others preferred to rebuild. So now there are 2 Methodist Churches in town. But, it also had a church for all faiths; but, if you were Catholic or Jewish you had to go to Macon, 30 miles away.

M in Oz and Michelle – Our local hospital (in Albany) will x-ray all candy collected on Halloween. Now they tell the parents to not allow anything that isn’t in its own wrapper and anything that looks like it had been opened. Oh, for those days of long ago – when we got Popcorn Balls at one house up from our house; but, you had to get there early. When they ran out they locked the gate coming to the house. Then there was a big hedge that acted as a fence.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    yo peeps

woke up late, k8:48, missing spin class, gonna go in and do my own class
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    stat for the day:

spin- 62min, 108aw, 78ar, 129ahr, 153mhr, 15.5mi= 540c
    Apple Watch- 538c

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Went out with my friend Trudy and shared a burger..but I don't know if it's allergies or I'm getting. Fall cold...or maybe the flu shot I got...but tired.....
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Did a Beach Body Turbo Jam DVD. This is a band DVD, which is a good compliment to weights. Actually, in many ways it’s better since you’re working not once when you do a concentric move but also an eccentric move. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Caribbean Workout Pilates Plus – another new one. Oh, this will probably make me also yearn for St. Kitts.

M – I like your attitude of being so willing to learn new things. Thank you for posting those pics of when you use the zwift. What it reminds me of is that the Wii has this program where you ride the bike around this island and get these flags. However, you don’t see anyone else on the screen. But that’s what this reminded me of.

Update on the Newcomer website: Fooling around, I just found out that you can do a search for anyone else interested in, say, kayaking. You can’t do that on the new directory. Also, you can do a search for your hometown or where you moved from or even the people whose birthdays are the same as yours (you can’t do that with the new directory). I just haven’t fooled around to find a way where you can search for the members who joined in the last 6 months or whatever. But that information should have been gotten from the membership person (me). Not from Adra. Even the vice-president said “there are names on this list (Joe’s) that aren’t on this list (Adra’s)” dhhhh…that’s because I have the most current information, not her. In the worst case scenario, I can look back on the last 6 month’s membership forms and print that out. Or the person needing that information can look back in the last 6 month’s newsletters where that information is. I’ve told the president and cc’d Adra and Sandy. I told them that the information is out there (I think Greg told them that it’s breaking down), it’s just a display issue. See, it used to be when you clicked on an ellipsis, you got a box that gave you extra information about a member (where they moved from, etc). Code doesn’t break down, he just can’t access the custom code, that’s all. I’m still planning to leave membership in April. I’m feeling not needed when the president doesn’t tell me what information she needs but goes to someone else for that information.

Lisa – with all the work you’re doing I bet you’re losing weight. Going up and down ladders etc. You probably don’t even have time to eat!

Made chocolate ginger cookies for this gal at the Y. Really, I’m not a member there but she lets me go in free until I can get on Silver Sneakers. I just want to show her my appreciation and I know that she likes ginger. I also made a lasagna for Vince and now I’m making brownies for this one gal at ceramics whose birthday is Monday. After this…I think I’ll go in the pool Update: never did get in the pool, by the time I made the second batch of brownies it was time to get ready for church.

Lanette – good job on the blood work

Lenora – that is EXACTLY why I won’t send that link. There is no way on this green earth that I’d open any link, even if it’s from someone I know, without an explanation of why I’m being sent it and what it’ll do for me.

Vince just asked when we’re going to close the pool. The end of October works for me! Actually, the end of November works for me….lol

I just took the brownies out of the oven and they looked weird. Oh crap! I forgot to put the eggs in them. And I remember once before I didn’t put as many eggs in it and it was hard as a rock. So I’ll need to remake them.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lenora: Being patient is not one of my talents. Good luck with the projects. :star:

Machka: Good luck with your new project. I’ll bet you do exceedingly well. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I like your ideas about taking things to your new home a load at a time. We did that when we moved here. Things that didn’t fit here went back home to the garage sale. :bigsmile:

Lanette: I recently had a similar visit to the doctor. I took in all my supplements, and the only one she had me eliminate was sublingual B. She said I was already taking B in another vitamin and didn’t need to take it twice. :star:

Heather: Your friend sounds like a Debbie Downer. The two words “you should” are rarely appropriate, and only okay if they are part of a compliment or positive statement such as “You should be very proud of your accomplishments, they are amazing.”

Rita: I love your little green man & like the picture that includes your DH. Great sense of humor!

(((Allie))): I hope you feel better soon.

I survived the homeowner’s annual meeting and have a rough draft of the minutes to share with the HOA President. If they’re okay, I’ll type it all up on the computer and send a copy to him and to anyone & everyone whose email address I possess. I’ve been reappointed for 3 more years.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member

Hi Gals,

Best wishes to all! Remodels, booboos, sore muscles, dancing, newbies

Interesting I think of myself as introverted and the test agreed, but I am more extroverted than some of you – such a continuum.

Clubs – I do join, a book club, a garden club and I have played Bunco – but the book club is so small there is very little politics or fuss 6 of us at most meetings. The garden club is so large 200+ that while I am expected to have a roll as a 20+ year member, working full time is a great excuse to get out of most things, so agreeing to have my garden on tour was a really a way to give me a dead line to get things done. And I really thank all of you for the support of my decision. I knew I had to do it, but the support makes me feel like it was the right decision. Now I just have to break the news.

The embroidery business booming has been interesting and for the first time in 10 years I have enough in savings to cover an unexpected expense in the few hundred dollar range. My goal is 6 months of expenses, but this is the first step and makes me feel better.

I have not been logging, I am having a hard time with time management, but have been doing something right as the scale is down a couple of pounds… I am eating less carbs and sugars, but know that logging is really what works best for me… and while on most things I make changes incrementally, logging is one I have to commit to every meal. every snack. every day. I think that will be my October goal.

Smiles

Kim from N. California