WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Good Morning Ladies~
    I am up and feeling a bit better have 2 loads of laundry going and will hop in the shower..and will go feed DFIL and walk the boys...working 11-5 today we shall see if Claudia comes back today, she was gone for 2 weeks they are looking for an apartment in Tokyo...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    In case you were wondering ... September 2018 weather in Tasmania ...

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/month/tas/summary.shtml

M in Oz

One of my husband's apple trees ... :) Actually, it's slightly more leafy than that now.

43804345595_9503ac78de.jpg

M in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Happy October Ladies! Thanks for getting us started off right Barbie!

Thank you Rori, Heather, Viv, Kate and Barbara for the birthday wishes.

Today I have my prep for my colonoscopy and endoscopy so clear liquids only for me today. I don't know yet what time my procedure is tomorrow so I don't know if I do half of the prep today and half tomorrow or half this afternoon and half this evening. They were supposed to let me know Friday what time I should arrive tomorrow but they didn't. I tried calling and got voicemail, imagine that. If I can't eat anything today and can't eat (or drink) anything tomorrow until 5 pm I am going to be one grumpy girl!

September went well for me. My goals were simple, close all the rings on my watch and try to gain a few pounds. I accomplished both. I don't think the whole 4 lbs will stick around, a large part of it is water and extra food from my food fest the last 6 days.

My goals for October are to keep within my goal range and to close the rings on my watch daily. This month will be a little more difficult, it will be a stretch to hit the October challenge, but I will do my best!

Have a great day lady. Heather, a very happy birthday a day early in case I'm not logged in tomorrow.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Happy October Ladies! Thanks for getting us started off right Barbie!

Thank you Rori, Heather, Viv, Kate and Barbara for the birthday wishes.

Have a great day lady. Heather, a very happy birthday a day early in case I'm not logged in tomorrow.

Happy Birthday to both you and Heather. :)

• okiewoman510
    Thanks Machka and Kelly.

I got my miles in, I’ve eaten my eggs and dry toast I’m allowed and now I have to go log in to work. Since I’ll be off tomorrow, I’m working today.

• Trying to lose that final 10lbs.

Okie - Happy Belated Birthday

Heather - Happy Early Birthday (I hope I got the right person); did not set up my side-by-side Word; so my short-term memory is being tested! LOL! Going to 'sleep apnea' MD tomorrow evening and guess we will discuss if my husband's and son's desires for me to NOT ever drive again is what is in the cards.

Lenora
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    edited October 2018
    Goals for October
    Stay on high fiber low sugar diet.
    I maintained in September

I went on the biannual Summit Ave house tour yesterday. There were twelve homes on the tour. These are more mansions than homes. These are the homes that the very wealthy built around 1890-1920. I didn't take pictures I barely got them all in in the 6 hour time frame they allowed for viewing. They were spread out over a a large are. I must have walked four to five miles yesterday. Many of these homes were three stories too. Not all the homes were open to the third floor but several were. I got plenty of exercise.

Highlights: One owner was on our Children's Museum Board and when they moved the museum he bought the boat that children played on in the museum and put it in his basement and then had a white and blue theme. It was a delight.

The room that F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote Paradise Lost was on the tour. It was on the third floor of a brownstone. He would go out on the small balcony to smoke his cigarettes. The story was he went running into the street when he finally sold a novel going up to people saying he was going to be a famous author. Once he sold a novel Zelda married him. He was not from one of the wealthier families on the block. You can see the influence of this in his book The Great Gatsby.

For me one of the joys was seeing all the art work some of the owners displayed. Many you could tell had travelled the world.

Many were had tasteful displays of antiques too. One of my favorites was a metal doll house like I had as a child.

One owner had an exact replica of the Downtown Abbey servant bell board. FUN!

One of the homes a former owner had bought rooms from Europe and had them recreated in her home. One room was filled with mirrors from Italy and beautifully carved doors. One room she had made up tp feel like a castle. She also had a gorgeous carved staircase. You could tell she loved her home and loved history. She felt preservation was important.

Another favorite for me was the home that was getting new siding. When they pulled the siding off they found boards that made the frame had sign paintings on them. Turns out the home was built from wood that from a skating rink that was torn down. They pulled some of the boards and incorporated them into their entry area. They also made a wall display as an art piece. I particularly liked the one that had signatures of people who had visited the skating rink. This is why I went on the tour because they will soon be putting up new siding and will be covering up the siding they left on the home for another owner to find some day.

My father did something similar in the sixties when he finished off our screened in porch. He used the wood from a torn down carriage house. If something old has to be torn down I love it when it can be reused into something else.

Such fun seeing how people blended the old with the new and making them functional living spaces.

Then there was the home where the third floor was converted into an apartment completed with the aunt who would say, "I am the aunt who lives in the attic."

This home was not one the tour but for Halloween they had three full size skeletons climbing on their home. Another one not on the tour had rather than cut down a dead tree they had made a live size carving of Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin, and Tigger. Love it!

It did inspire me to not over clutter my she-cave. For me it is just about right. Now if I want to add something I know something else must go.

Another favorite of mine was the poster made by the owners children saying Welcome to Our Home. Worthy of framing in my book.

:heart: Margaret
  • okiewoman510
    Thanks Lenora! You got it right. Heather’s is tomorrow.

Okie
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Margaret ~ Thanks so much for sharing your home tour. I would love to see inside the old mansions. The only two I have ever seen was the Biltmore house in Carolina and the Flagler museum in St. Augustine. Loved seeing their history.

Carol in BA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Back again~ had quite a scare lol so i did my laundry and dried and folded it and put it in my hamper thing to bring down to my place and when I got back from walking the dogs it was gone, had a panic until my friend Lil said oh thought it was another persons and put it in front of there door.. crisis averted...
    DFIL was having none of anything this morning... madder than a wet hen and he was combative... so didn't stay to long... hope they can get trazidone into him to calm him down as he was being disruptive...
    thank goodness these are few and far between but still sad to see ...with dementia you take the good with the bad..
    working 11-5 today
    Barbie~ thank you again our fearless leader .. xoxoxox
    Heather~ Happy Early Birthday xoxoxox
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks so much for once again having the reporting page for the month ready to go, Barbie! It really is helpful.
    September was an up and down month for me. I started off the first two weeks of Sept. really making some progress. I reached the 5 lbs lost and I was exercising and staying under my calorie goal. I got to 10,000 steps regularly. I had my appt with the nutritionist and she basically confirmed that I was doing a good job although she wanted to see more veggies in my journal, wanted to see me eating breakfast within an hour of waking, and wanted to see me eating 5 small meals instead of 3 big ones. So far, I have failed on all of those suggestions:( I also met with my doctor. My liver enzymes were much improved since January and my A1C was also much better although still above the 7 he would like to see as my high point. The class on managed weight loss did not happen because the hospital has changed and is no longer offering the class and the nutritionist said my bmi would not qualify me for any bariatric help, so I failed in that goal. I did still get out much more with family to have some fun and DH is actually walking with me regularly now plus walking during his lunch break. I think he wants to rock that tuxedo in May for DDs wedding.

Then, everything just went south real fast. I broke my 6th rib on the left side and for the past two weeks, I have been doing nothing but laying around, taking pain medicine, and eating what tastes good as the medicine makes me really nauseated. I was at 220 and am back up to 224. I did try to walk for the first time yesterday and made it to between 4 and 5 thousand steps before the pain became too much, so I had to stop. I have not been doing any of the exercise machines or dance videos that had been so helpful.

My goals for October while I continue to recover are going to be slight;
    1. journal food daily in an attempt not to gain back any more weight
    2. try to walk a little more each day
    3. continue to try and get out of the house and enjoy the fall weather
    4. keep scrapbooking....get cruise book done by the end of the month
    5. continue to work on eliminating carbs to get blood sugar levels down to below a 7 by the end of December
    6. manage wedding stress

Hope everyone has a really great October!
    dee
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,284 Member
    Dee- sorry to hear about your rib! Barbie has great advice and yes, life does deal strange challenges!

Mary - sorry I'm late but great letter! Will be interesting to see their response. Good proofreaders in this group. B) Don't blame you for wanting to take Shep along! A girl and her dog... <3

Viv - Leah is a cutie! Hoping for the best with your Dad's doc visit.

Barbara AHMOD
    - hope you are continuing to feel good and your floor exercises go well. By the way, the international broadcast we get with the "leaf" antenna isn't from Canada, it's called "NHK World-Japan". The newscasters speak great English, and there are some interesting gardening and food broadcasts also in English or subtitled. How this station gets transmitted to a repeater in our little county, I'll never know. We sometimes watch the SUMO matches! Rebecca - can you access this? There might be an app for it to view on your tablet.

Margaret - loved that home tour description. Closest thing I've come to that was touring one of the "Ball" mansions when I attended Ball State U in Muncie IN. So neat to see how the houses were designed back then, and the quality was outstanding. Loved hearing that F Scott Fitzgerald story. WOW!

Machka
    - how thrilling to see your DH's apple tree budding. Now, I'm curious. If someone were to get a dormant tree from the US, would it get mixed up season-wise if planted in your area? Maybe if it's truly dormant it won't care. My gravenstein has a branch that blossoms every fall so there's a mixed up one, lol.

October goals... keep on with what I'm doing. Lower carbs, a day or two of intermittent fasting per week. Keep on with the 3x per week strength training.

September was a review of the benefits of lower carb eating and intermittent fasting. So this month, I want to investigate cardio equipment and/or exercises I can do at home when the rainy season hits. Also will be on the lookout for possible new activities/organization I can join and just do my introverted minimal, lol, in case the two I belong to right now aren't for me anymore.

Before we moved to this neighborhood, I attended a very small Methodist church (attendance around 25 each week, most of them seniors) in a tiny town. Between that and volunteering at the food bank, I had a few treasured friends and acquaintances. I really, really miss that and haven't been able to find a new church home. It might be time to start looking again.

Happy October ladies!

Lanette
    Damp and once again green SW WA State
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Trying to lose that final 10lbs.

Okie - Happy Belated Birthday

Heather - Happy Early Birthday (I hope I got the right person); did not set up my side-by-side Word; so my short-term memory is being tested! LOL! Going to 'sleep apnea' MD tomorrow evening and guess we will discuss if my husband's and son's desires for me to NOT ever drive again is what is in the cards.

Lenora

I hope you get cleared to drive again, I don't think I would handle that very well at all.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Goals for October
    Stay on high fiber low sugar diet.
    I maintained in September

I went on the biannual Summit Ave house tour yesterday. There were twelve homes on the tour. These are more mansions than homes. These are the homes that the very wealthy built around 1890-1920. I didn't take pictures I barely got them all in in the 6 hour time frame they allowed for viewing. They were spread out over a a large are. I must have walked four to five miles yesterday. Many of these homes were three stories too. Not all the homes were open to the third floor but several were. I got plenty of exercise.

Highlights: One owner was on our Children's Museum Board and when they moved the museum he bought the boat that children played on in the museum and put it in his basement and then had a white and blue theme. It was a delight.

The room that F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote Paradise Lost was on the tour. It was on the third floor of a brownstone. He would go out on the small balcony to smoke his cigarettes. The story was he went running into the street when he finally sold a novel going up to people saying he was going to be a famous author. Once he sold a novel Zelda married him. He was not from one of the wealthier families on the block. You can see the influence of this in his book The Great Gatsby.

For me one of the joys was seeing all the art work some of the owners displayed. Many you could tell had travelled the world.

Many were had tasteful displays of antiques too. One of my favorites was a metal doll house like I had as a child.

One owner had an exact replica of the Downtown Abbey servant bell board. FUN!

One of the homes a former owner had bought rooms from Europe and had them recreated in her home. One room was filled with mirrors from Italy and beautifully carved doors. One room she had made up tp feel like a castle. She also had a gorgeous carved staircase. You could tell she loved her home and loved history. She felt preservation was important.

Another favorite for me was the home that was getting new siding. When they pulled the siding off they found boards that made the frame had sign paintings on them. Turns out the home was built from wood that from a skating rink that was torn down. They pulled some of the boards and incorporated them into their entry area. They also made a wall display as an art piece. I particularly liked the one that had signatures of people who had visited the skating rink. This is why I went on the tour because they will soon be putting up new siding and will be covering up the siding they left on the home for another owner to find some day.

My father did something similar in the sixties when he finished off our screened in porch. He used the wood from a torn down carriage house. If something old has to be torn down I love it when it can be reused into something else.

Such fun seeing how people blended the old with the new and making them functional living spaces.

Then there was the home where the third floor was converted into an apartment completed with the aunt who would say, "I am the aunt who lives in the attic."

This home was not one the tour but for Halloween they had three full size skeletons climbing on their home. Another one not on the tour had rather than cut down a dead tree they had made a live size carving of Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin, and Tigger. Love it!

It did inspire me to not over clutter my she-cave. For me it is just about right. Now if I want to add something I know something else must go.

Another favorite of mine was the poster made by the owners children saying Welcome to Our Home. Worthy of framing in my book.

:heart: Margaret

That sounds like an awesome way to spend a day. I love seeing how others live.