Heavy runners?

2»

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    emerrywe wrote: »
    Has anyone else has issues with heel pain? I started the program at 247lbs and am taking 2 rest days between each run to make sure I don't aggravate it into something that doesn't go away after a couple days of rest. I imagine it will get better as I lose weight. I hope so because I hate swimming at the pool or using the machines at the gym. I love that I can just put my shoes on and go out the door.

Have you been fitted for good running shoes?
  • emerrywe
    emerrywe Posts: 32 Member
    I havent gotten fitted, no. I have a pair of new balance...was waiting to go to the fancy running shop until I knew this is something I was going to stick with...but I suppose it is time to invest for my feet's sake.

Just_Ceci wrote: »
    emerrywe wrote: »
    Has anyone else has issues with heel pain? I started the program at 247lbs and am taking 2 rest days between each run to make sure I don't aggravate it into something that doesn't go away after a couple days of rest. I imagine it will get better as I lose weight. I hope so because I hate swimming at the pool or using the machines at the gym. I love that I can just put my shoes on and go out the door.

Have you been fitted for good running shoes?

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    New to this group, but started the C25K Jan 1 @ 275 lbs. Missed last week (hurt my toe snow shoeing) but am doing week 5 now. Did day 2 and have day 3 to look forward to.

I've not got any real pain. Have a bit of a knee issue, but a tensor thing keeps it from coming back. And I'm bad in that I repeat day 1 and day 2 on Tuesday and Thursday, but I need the routine of doing something every day and have been doing 5 days a week on the treadmill since mid Sept.
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    I started C25k at 210 lbs, I'm now on week 6 and weigh 188 lbs. (5ft 7")

The best advice I can give:
    1. Especially in the early weeks, listen to your body and adjust your speed accordingly: you don't want to hurt yourself before your body has adapted to the program. Even if that meals dropping to brisk walking on the "run" intervals - that will still help train your heart which is the most important muscle of them all.
    2. Stretch after runs. I use the following stretching plan after every run and I now have no soreness at all the day after: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-stretch-after-a-run.aspx (I do each stretch for 30 seconds rather than the 15 it suggests).
    3. Get either an app or a podcast to guide you through. Personally, I use the RunDouble C25k app - the first couple of weeks are available in the free version of the app but I found it worked really well for me so I paid for the full version and it's been brilliant. Very customisable with announcements to help push you on (having a voice tell me "4 minutes left", "3 minutes left", "2 minutes left", "1 minute left" really works for me!).
    4. Get your playlists in place - anything with a strong beat or even a bit of "overcoming adversity" lyrical theme can really help push you on. But most importantly, something that you love :smile:

Hope that helps!
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    I have trouble running because my legs feel like logs.
  • fionamaryan
    fionamaryan Posts: 6 Member
    I have restarted the C25k program...this is about my third attempt. I am going so slowly that it’s more like fast walking. I was on week 3, but accidentally played week 2 again! Doh!