WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    She Cave:
    k59ilb8ns0gl.jpg

Very nice ... and I want to find a shelf a bit like that. Slightly narrower and slightly taller, but otherwise just like that. Unfortunately I haven't come across anything remotely like that here.

• Machka9
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka in Oz - where are you getting that nice tidy tracker for your stats? I wish there were a way to have a multi clipboard!

I use Excel, and then copy and paste it into here. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    I got out for a decent run today at lunch. I started running thinking I'd do 3 km ... then as I went, I thought I might turn around at 2 km for a 4 km run. Eventually, I decided to turn around at 3 km for a total of 6 km. :)

It was OK and the weather was pretty good, but my legs felt a little bit lead-like. I want to tap into my inner gazelle!

Distance: 6.19km
    Elevation 84m
    Moving Time: 46:01
    Elapsed Time: 46:26
    Pace: 7:26/km

Plus I ended up doing quite a bit of walking and 5 flights of 20 stairs.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    good luck Lisa~
    I am up and dressed , and would like my cup of tea.. which I cant have.... or anything else for that matter.. have to get my lunch together and get ready to leave early as I have to walk the boys before going up to work...going to be a late day for me...
  • Machka9
    Regarding public speaking, I used to be absolutely terrified when I had to speak in public ... nauseated and shaking.

I knew that public speaking could be part of my future jobs (and I was right), so I decided to join Toastmasters and was with them for 2 years. In the first year, I went through the program and did each of the 10 speeches, but nothing extra. The second year, I felt brave enough to participate in a couple speech contests. I actually did a humorous speech in a competition in front of an audience of about 300 people. I placed second. :)

But I could hardly believe it ... just a couple years earlier, I would never have even imagined I could do that!!

That was quite a few years ago, and I've lost my touch ... I should really join another Toastmaster's group! But most of the time, I'm not too bad speaking in public now. Many of my classes these days have a public speaking element and that's OK.

That said, a few years ago, I did a speech for a class ... not even a very large class ... and for some reason, my exercise/stress induced asthma kicked in and I couldn't breathe. I was gasping for air every few seconds. The students each wrote a sentence about my speech and gave them to me (we did that for everyone), and about half mentioned that I looked like I was holding my breath. I was! Not deliberately ... my body just decided to shut down the breathing function for 5 minutes. :astonished:

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    heather happy birthday and enjoy your milestone accomplishments—a loving family, passion in your life and 139 lbs!!! The t-shirt is hilarious as well, your DH is a keeper <3<3

Lisa love hearing how excited and busy you are. Enjoy the grants rolling in :p

I stretched 2 days in a row! Woohoo insert stretching emojis here!!

NYKAREN
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    Happy birthday Heather. Here's to pink pocketbooks and good news! LOVE that T-shirt :)
    Margaret so cozy!
    Welcome TammyThaxton we're here for you.
    Sharon my signoff stats are manually updated from an excel spreadsheet. Sorry, no magic here!
    Kay How about a little homemade beach, with a comfy lounge chair, good book, heat lamp, some recorded sea sounds and maybe even an umbrella drink? I'll be right there with you!
    Betsy lucky Ella, lucky you! WTG!
    Michele angry tears yup. And when I'm really VERY angry, I lose my voice completely.
    Rye likewise, I frequently talk back to the TV driving Joe nuts. Will not correct his usage nor anyone else's in public. While it's perfectly appropriate in the classroom, elsewhere I believe it's more hurtful than helpful.
    Katla toilets not working=adventure? Your DH has an admirable attitude!
    Mary Happy for Shep, happy for you!
    Viv (((hugs)))
    Machka thanks, never thought of bracing on a pillow for sneezing and coughing. As the climate changes, think we'll see more out of season leaves and blooming.
    Lisa I misread at first, thought you liked being the supervising Princess ;)
    Allie can you put your tea in a thermos for after the blood test? That's the only way I can get going on a tea-less morning.

Was pooped from vacuuming half the house this morning, THEN Joe decided to rearrange living room furniture in preparation for winter. Needed to clear space around wood stove etc. OK great, but after he finished with the sofa and recliners, that left the tables, lamps, etc etc etc for me. He wanted the rolling table from the guest room for between our recliners. OK, swapped with smaller pedestal table so guest room would still have lamp, but the setup was rickety so moved floor lamp from master bed to guest room, and the dominoes continued to topple all afternoon. Tomorrow will finish the vacuuming and start the marathon dusting/tidying needed to prep for visit from my young Idaho friend on Saturday. And you know how much I love to clean :noway:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 1/1, rx/vits 1/1, meditate 1/1, walk one more step 1/1, knee exercises 1/1, core 0/0, walk Tumble 0/0 times, SWSY 0/0, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 1/1.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! I had Trentin with me last night until 9pm, tonight I have a provider meeting, and tomorrow night I will have Trentin again until 9pm; which means, no work on the play areas for the kids until Thursday night. I need to finish putting up the cubby sized shelves in my new closet alcove, but I put the hardware SOMEWHERE and I can't remember where! lol So frustrating!
    Heather- Happy birthday! Hope your day is filled with all of the things/people you love! <3
    Machka- I saw a really interesting article in regards to trees having a "heartbeat". It talked about how there is a rhythm to the way sap flows through the tree's trunk and limbs, etc. I will see if I can find it and post it here. Found it! https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/it-turns-out-that-trees-have-a-heartbeat-too/ Oh, I hope this doesn't post the whole article right here. Just wanted the link.

Oooops! EArly arrival! Gotta go! ttfn xoxo KJ
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday!

Oooops! EArly arrival! Gotta go! ttfn xoxo KJ

How early? Do you charge extra? (I think you ought to if they arrive with their child more than 15 minutes before the agreed start time of the day or more than 15 after the end of the day. Your time is VALUABLE!

Rye
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Good morning Ladies!

Viv - I’m so sorry about your Dad. I hope the tablets help him.

Michelle - Thanks for your well wishes. I’m down almost 4 lbs this morning. We know a couple of those will come back, but the prep helped move along the extra food volume.

Heather - Happy Birthday!! My hub got me a red purse for part of my gift. Congrats on entering the 130’s! Great job!

Lisa - Congrats on bringing in more money than anticipated. Try to enjoy your event!

KJ - I know you can hardly wait to dig in to the new fun stuff for your kiddos.

Congrats to those with victories, hugs to those in need and prayers for those struggling.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather Happy Birthday! I hope you find a beautiful pink handbag. k06207.gif

Okie So you gave yourself a colonoscopy for your birthday? :D:D:D

Janetr Congrats on the new baby coming soon!

Viv Condolences on the death of your beloved aunt.

Meg Glad you're back.

Kate UK Sad to hear of your sister-in-law developing dementia. One of my best high school friends has Alzheimer's disease, early onset starting when she was 48. It is a source of great sadness to all who know her. Before she deteriorated, she told a mutual friend she had some bad news to tell her (about the Alzheimer's). Then she qualified it & said, "Well, it's bad news for you, but not so much for me." So insightful. She was such an accomplished person & the loss to her family & friends is so great.

Kelly & Rori I loved the AB episode w/BO in VietNam.

Carol Your short post struck a chord with me. Be honest with myself. Yes, I need to do that, too. And sorry to hear your freezer is on the blink. We just went through that. Threw away an entire refrigerator's food due to failing compressor. Expensive refrigerator less than 2 years old. Made me mad, LOL! :#:#:#

Margaret Nice she-cave. Have you seen that funny State Farm ad? with the Cheryl's She Shed on fire?

Allie Whew! on the "stolen" laundry. :)

Dee (((Hugs)))

Lanette Will be watching w/interest as you explore the cardio equipment. It all takes up so much room...

Rebecca We all tell little white lies. <3 p.s. what is NHK?

Barbie Getting new shoes today, right? Walking shoes?

Barbara What a sweet funny doggie! (((Tumble)))

Sharon My mail piles up, too. Was it NYKAREN who shreds &/or recycles as soon as she gets her mail? I do okay for awhile, opening envelopes, then shredding or recycling, but then I get busy or have a long day and the pile gets moved intact on top of another pile...ugh...

DrKatie It's hard to get your momentum back. I'm in the same boat but not because of injury. I stopped going to Jazzercise for various reasons. Now I feel so inert. Icky.

Michele & Rye "Me" vs "I" grammar is one of my pet peeves, too. LOL! I don't know why it bothers me.

Machka I know dormancy in grasses is temperature-related rather than having anything to do with the length of the day.

Lisa Great news about the grant being more generous! (How did that happen!?!)

I am tired. I have had 2 long days at work plus home-schooling yesterday, & home-school this morning and then work again this evening. Last night at work was especially tiring. I'll get over it. My goal is to get down to 2 days a week, so I can focus on the home-schooling. It's fortunate my grandson is intelligent because I am finding gaps in his education, particularly in math. He is in a math class that is a year ahead of his grade level. We are using
    khanacademy.org to get him up to speed in certain areas he is already supposed to be proficient in (exponents, for example). He picks it up quickly, & likes the khan format. At first it was like pulling teeth, but now he thinks it's "sort of" fun.

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    edited October 2018
    Machka9 wrote: »
    She Cave:
    k59ilb8ns0gl.jpg

Very nice ... and I want to find a shelf a bit like that. Slightly narrower and slightly taller, but otherwise just like that. Unfortunately I haven't come across anything remotely like that here.

The picture that is hanging is a photo taken by a friend of a winter scene with a red cardinal. It does not show up well in the picture. The small black cat hanging on top is my mom's toy of Felix the cat made out of wood. Fits my sense of humor.

I got this at Target about fifteen years ago. The nice thing is the shelves fold up and the sides fold in so it is easy to carry and store. I bought three of them for my classroom. My son has one now and I use the other in an upstair hallway. I love that it is so versatile.

Karen I'll have to watch for that ad.

Heather Happy Birthday to you. :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Llll
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :) I am a good public speaker (not as good as Heather's DIL, but quite competent) but I am uncomfortable having to carry on conversations with one other person.

:) I own very few pairs of shoes--two pairs of dog walking shoes (both water resistant, one low top, one high top), two pairs of Mary Janes (one red one black--for dress up or dance performances), three pairs of Birkenstocks that I bought in the 1990's and don't wear often, one pair of light weight indoor walking shoes, and the ones I'll buy today that will be a bit warmer than my other indoor walking shoes. My entire wardrobe is quite minimalist. I have only one purse.

:) The dogs are staring at me so I guess it's time to walk them.

<3 Barbie
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Barbie - We are opposites. I have a ton of clothes, smaller sizes are so cute. I went a little crazy on the sale pages. I also love shoes and boots. I think because fat people can still have cute shoes even when the bigger sizes of clothes aren’t normally so cute. Ditto purses. I love purses. I have way too many.

Okie