WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Terry - It's fine to be weepy. <3 Lots of hugs . (((HUGS)))
    Thinking of you.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Waiting around waiting for place that can do an MRI on me with a newer procedure so that my LINX contraption doesn't make it films 'flash' when they take it. I'm so tired of being the 'go-between' making sure that the 'order' has been sent to allow me to get the procedure done. Diagnostics Center say they don't have an order; the Orthopedist's office says they 'faxed' over the order on Monday AM. Called DC and left a message that it had been faxed to them. Still waiting for an appointment time.

I've thought up so many projects; but, so many require 'extra' help. I just want to get started. Most important one definitely cannot do on my own. Louis asked me 'if' I was going to the Women's Retreat; beginning on his birthday; but, did not want to miss his birthday; but, he said if I really wanted to go; I could. So I'm going; I always enjoy going.

I've still got to keep up with 'sleep patterns' UGH! Louis tried to wake me up when he got up about 6:40am; I'd having nothing to do with it; so I slept in until 8:40am; and drank my one cup of coffee, because 'thankfully' it was still hot. Today, back hurting again some. UGH! Now to fix something for breakfast. Trying to track my food; but, going over my very low caloric intake; but, I have been dropping pounds; just not sure I am losing an fat% and building up muscle %. If only I could make this bulge in the middle front go away so that I don't look 4+ months pregnant.

Got to get my fanny 'in gear' and start my morning routine.

Lenora
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Lenora glad to hear you are getting your studio ready.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Machka, We are in constant communication and I know he will call me if he feels he needs me there. I'm a half hour away from home, but I have a neighbor that is next door that could go and check on him if need be.

Lenora, sounds like you are doing well advocating for yourself. It is frustrating when you have to be the go between when it probably would be easier for the dr's office to do and probably get quicker results. Hand in there girl.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Yeah Barbie! What great news for both of you!

Okie
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Karen in VA: Thank you for the information on ALS. I think I understand a bit better and I appreciate the better understanding. Sorry to hear that your DGS is zipping through his assignments without actually doing all the work. As a retired teacher I don’t find it surprising. It makes more work for you, though. Do you feel like the homework police? Sometimes that is just the right way to help. :flowerforyou:

Trucker & Machka: I have a Camelea Sasanqua Jinglebells. It has a single row of red petals surrounding a yellow center and blooms in December and January. I bought it for our hummingbird population and they love it. We also have sugar-water feeders up year around. Rufous Hummingbirds are here during the summers only and have already disappeared. The Annas Hummingbirds are here year around. :heart:

Nettie in Berkshire: Thank you for the insider’s view of autism. As a teacher I had several mentally gifted students who had Asperger Syndrome. One boy had amazingly good social skills as well. His mom was brilliant at helping him with social skills. The others were smart but not as good with social skills. :ohwell:

(((Terry in VT))) Sending good thoughts your way. I hope the doctors are able to help your husband with supportive medications and give you helpful supportive coping skills. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am so happy that Jake’s doctors gave him hopeful news about his cancer treatments. :heart:

DH has an appointment for a pedicure this morning with a new shop. I hope he is pleased with the process and the outcome. The woman at our regular beauty salon doesn’t do the job adequately for him.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Morning, all... back in my own fairly messy space, as I just came in, dropped everything and fell in bed. When I got up, I immediately sent in for approval for taking a day off today, as well. Something I seldom do, taking a mental health day. Which would be why I have more than a hundred sick-time hours still on the books. Already approved, and trying not to feel guilty. No matter how much I tell myself that I've given the company a hundred hours of my off days this year, it still feels like I'm skiving off, being lazy. Just making myself get over it. :smiley:

Heather - I went and read your lovely DDiL's article this morning (https://www.themartlets.org.uk/blog/slow-down-and-bemoresnail), and considering my first paragraph, it was extraordinarily appropriate. I love the idea of the massive snails being a reminder to slow down and take it easy. She's a gifted writer, and I just take a slow breath and settle into her articles with a sigh like I'm coming home.

For the person who asked about the drama thing, honestly not worth talking about, here or elsewhere, though it may yet blow up in my face at work. We'll see.

Things to do here on my day off to get my life back together.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited October 2018
    Terry (((hugs))). Wise of you to be at his Monday Dr. appointment. (((hugs)))
    Lenora good on you for going between MD and DC. In our county (No hurry in Curry) that's what you must do in order to accomplish anything. Seems to be a total disconnect between all doctors' offices' staff and all test provider facilities. :rage:
    Barbie Best news EVER! <insert joyful line dancing emoji here ;) >
    Tracey sorry but your daughter is mistaken. Those sparkles are the fairy dust generated by "Odette's" pirouettes ;)

Oops, time to scoot. Taking Scooter to a Blessing of the Animals at St. Tim's. Tumble is not yet well behaved enough ;)
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 3/3, rx/vits 3/3, meditate 3/3, walk one more step 3/3, knee exercises 3/3, core 1/4, walk Tumble 1/4 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 3/3.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Lisa - I thought you would appreciate the article. You definitely deserve a duvet day. :D

Snowflake - Your granddaughter is a darling! <3

I'm feeling off colour. So is DH . Is a cold trying to overcome our defences? I'm fighting off the urge for a Pernod. :o Had an AF wine and an AF gin. I think I'm winning. o:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Heather ~ Are your alcohol free drinks low in calories? Just curious!
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    smania's climate is a lot like the Pacific Northwest in North America. :)

Our main winter flower is the camellia. Our neighbours have a large bush with beautiful pink camellias and we've got a smaller bush of red camellias.

That’s exactly where I am, near Seattle. We have two gorgeous camellias on the NE side of our clubhouse here, a pink and a red. They are often blooming when we could still get a bit of snow. Some winters we don’t get any, but last year got a foot or more here in the foothills, which is very unusual. There are a lot of microclimates, what with Puget Sound in the lowlands and the Cascade and Olympic men’s bracketing it.
    …my brother already texted me and said he is in for tonight.. im so happy....he and I dont get to spend time together and we will be able to have a great time tonight and a somber and closer for my dad tomorrow for my dad tomorrow ...

I’m so glad your brother is there with you! It’s such a comfort and joy!
    Are any of you ladies on medication for hypothyroid? Were you on meds for it when you were overweight and then were able to get off the meds? Is this a medication that once your body is at a healthy place that you can stop taking it? I am loathe to begin taking the meds, especially after watching my mother in law travel down that rabbit hole of medication and over medicaton.

Sending love and hugs to all of you! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Meds for thyroid only replace the lack to make your body function properly. They have no addictive or psychological component. Some folks are able to stop if their thyroid stops over-producing at a lower weight. Others continue to have the problem. It’s a good question to ask your doctor. It’s a lot more like insulin for diabetes than Effexor for depression.
    "langman22 wrote: »
    …So I'm struggling today with life in general and feeling very weepy. Deep breaths and feeling all your hugs will get me through the day.

Terry weepy in VT (sorry for the depressing post)

Terry, my heart goes out to you both. Can you pull the knobs from the stove before you go to bed and put them under your pillow in case he forgets he promised?
    barbiecat wrote: »
    …Most importantly he is feeling hopeful and that the treatments have been worth it. The treatments will continue for another few months.

:) I walked over 10,000 steps yesterday for the first time since July 23.

<3 Barbie

Yay! On both counts!

Tracy in Edmonton
    - huge laugh at the way you compare your adorable granddaughter to Odile and at the way your daughter describes your glitter shower on your floor!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon - Ditto here on the rufous and Anna’s hummingbirds. Mine will actually hover by my picture window and stare at me if I’m slow in getting them out in the morning.

Clothes - it’s odd that I, a Nudist, have such an immense closet full of clothes. And I have a couple of extra totes as well with my “out of season” stuff. With my surgery coming in less than two months I’m not buying anything new. I’ll buy at thrift stores until my weight stabilizes. The good things are, the more my weight goes down the larger selection I will have, and it will cost less. The only drawback is - more clothes. Since I can’t move around well, I need a daughter, granddaughter or friend to help me purge those clothes and schlep them down to the donation center or the trash as needed. Unfortunately they all work, have kids, or are in school and weekends are usually busy with kids or homework. I guess it’s “One piece at a time” like the Johnny Cash song, only removing instead of adding. :-D

Sharon in Seattle area
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Welcome, Nettie! My 9-year old grandson was diagnosed with autism when he was a little less than two. Early intervention has helped him a lot, but he definitely struggles with some things, particularly food, although he has been branching out some. I did not know much about it before his diagnosis, but now that I do I realize that my DH, although not diagnosed, is definitely on the spectrum. I have a few sensory and social issues myself.

Barbie, good news for you and Jake.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member
    Hey Ladies!

Shoes - I found some Keen's on sale last month and got a pair. Not your typical sneaker type walking/running shoe. This one, "Presidio" has a really stiff sole an wide toe box = my DH calls them clodhoppers, lol. Put the pressure relieving insole in it and it fit like a glove from day one. Found another pair of the same on sale so grabbed them - my size 8.5 disappears quickly. I have a couple old pairs of New Balance which are OK for walking if I don't go too far.... then the metatarsal pain begins. I really need to replace them but have had no luck so far, even with the Keen running shoes which didn't work out. The new clodhopper Keen's are great walking shoes, by the way.

Barbie
    - so glad to hear you are walking again!! And taking it slow B) And that Jake is doing so well. Great news!!

Carol - please let us know how you like those Crocs. I do need some type of new slippers/slides to wear around the house. The ones you ordered look like they might take an insole. I agree about slogging thru at a job to get the retirement. So nice to not have to worry about paycheck to paycheck anymore.... at least right now. I am so grateful for the pension check every month... and in 10 or 20 years when social security might not be at the level it is not, it will help immensely. Good luck with the new fridge!

Tracey
    - love that photo of your little ballerina and her sparkles. Exotic dancer, lol. I am a huge fan of taping toes together and have done it several times. Also once had a painful corn form between my 2 outer toes. Podiatrist shaved it off and put a little elastic "cuff" over one of the toes that came off in about five minutes. Said he could correct it with surgery. YUK. So I taped those toes together, wrapping one loosely in gauze first, and in about a month the problem was solved and has never bothered me again. Also replaced the shoes I'd been wearing.

Lenora - it was painful for me to read about your inability to drive. That is a big fear of mine - I know we won't starve, but just the idea of losing that "freedom" and having to depend on someone else, I'd feel I was imposing. And of course being cut off from social interaction. A lot of my shopping is spent chatting with friends and clerks at the small stores I frequent. I nearly always run into someone to yak with for a new minutes. And go to lunch with every week or two.

And don't throw out Facebook just yet... it can be a source of information and entertainment and social interaction, just keep unfriending or at least unfollowing those who folks give you heartburn. Since you are very isolated, it can be important. I am glad your son lives next door.

Sue in W WA - the fact that the cardiologist doesn't need to see you for three weeks is good news but yes, it's a concern. Crossing fingers it will just be a quick consultation and here's what you need to do and see you in six months.

Lots more to say but will close for now before I lose this one.

Have a great day, Ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Terry (((hugs))). Wise of you to be at his Monday Dr. appointment. (((hugs)))
    Lenora good on you for going between MD and DC. In our county (No hurry in Curry) that's what you must do in order to accomplish anything. Seems to be a total disconnect between all doctors' offices' staff and all test provider facilities. :rage:
    Barbie Best news EVER! <insert joyful line dancing emoji here ;) >
    Tracey sorry but your daughter is mistaken. Those sparkles are the fairy dust generated by "Odette's" pirouettes ;)

Oops, time to scoot. Taking Scooter to a Blessing of the Animals at St. Tim's. Tumble is not yet well behaved enough ;)
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 3/3, rx/vits 3/3, meditate 3/3, walk one more step 3/3, knee exercises 3/3, core 1/4, walk Tumble 1/4 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 3/3.

Michaela will love that, I will tell her so on Sunday when she is pirouetting again!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    trucker743 wrote: »

Tracy in Edmonton
    - huge laugh at the way you compare your adorable granddaughter to Odile and at the way your daughter describes your glitter shower on your floor!

Clothes - it’s odd that I, a Nudist, have such an immense closet full of clothes. And I have a couple of extra totes as well with my “out of season” stuff. With my surgery coming in less than two months I’m not buying anything new. I’ll buy at thrift stores until my weight stabilizes. The good things are, the more my weight goes down the larger selection I will have, and it will cost less. The only drawback is - more clothes. Since I can’t move around well, I need a daughter, granddaughter or friend to help me purge those clothes and schlep them down to the donation center or the trash as needed. Unfortunately they all work, have kids, or are in school and weekends are usually busy with kids or homework. I guess it’s “One piece at a time” like the Johnny Cash song, only removing instead of adding. :-D

Sharon in Seattle area

I can't take the credit for calling her Odette, it is what she calls herself. We bought her a DVD that is Barbie in Swan Lake last year. She has been practicing these dance moves before she could even really walk well. We so want to put her in dance classes, but they are so pricy!

I sing that One Piece at a Time song all the time and use it for so many different scenarios. :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) In one of the "Peanuts" books there is an image of Charlie Brown's little sister, Sally, standing by her open closet. She is wearing her blue dress with big white polka dots and white Mary Jane shoes. The only clothes hanging in her closet are dresses identical to the one she is wearing and on the floor a row of shoes identical to the ones she is wearing. My closet is almost like that and I love it.