The Weird and Highly Annoying World of Scale Fluctuations

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I missed this while on vacation. Pure gold.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    This is extremely helpful with the visuals. Thanks!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Yeah, I literally got 2.5 hours of sleep one night and magically lost 1.5lbs, I thought getting more sleep helped you lose weight but I guess I burned more energy while I was up (tending to popcorn children).
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Great article, very interesting. I'm getting to grips with understanding my fluctuations and they are very frustrating indeed!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Bump
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Yup, those fluctuations can be pretty crazy!
    I’ve noticed that my weight is often higher after the weekend (more exercise, meals higher in salt? Who knows? I generally eat less on the weekend, strangely enough!) and at its lowest around the middle of the week. I used to find it quite interesting watching the scale fluctuations, and would try and figure out the reason for them.

I’ve only just started using a trending app- began because the scales weren’t moving for a few weeks- and it’s definitely a helpful tool in understanding the fluctuations!

I love how the trend line is going down, even if the scale weight has gone up for a day or two!!!

7djipcmkwm5o.png
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Does anyone else play the weigh game where you weight yourself before and after potty? I am amazed at how much human waste can truly weigh ...

Yep. I have been known to lose a kg in a single wee!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Does anyone else play the weigh game where you weight yourself before and after potty? I am amazed at how much human waste can truly weigh ...

Yep. I have been known to lose a kg in a single wee!
    A pint's a pound, the world around. ;)

• bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Oh man! I needed this today. Thank you!
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    I get too wrapped up in scale weight, i feel sometimes ive been doing so well but then step on the scales and bang ...up, ruined.this makes sense now , still need to get my head round it and even thnking of giving up weighing myself.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Hormones really stink with the weight bouncing around. It wasn’t a big thing 3-5 years ago, but now that I’ve crossed into the late 30s....bah. I can be up and down 4-5lbs a day, then hang at the same weight forever, despite assuming no calories burned for lifting, conservatively logging cardio, and eating on target.

I know the day of reckoning will come and the scale will reflect the effort, but it’s tough to wait it out when the last time I tried to lose it was far more linear and consistent (consistent small losses—.5lbs a week instead of wait wait wait lose 3-5lbs).
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Amazing article thanks for posting and bumping!!