Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Awards" Rant

14567810»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I think digital "awards" are dumb. I don't care if a little trophy pops up on my phone because I finished today's C25k run.
    That said, this app seems to me to be no different than a fitbit reminding someone to get up and walk every so often. A reminder/encouragement to get up and get going is fine, IMO.

This isn't related to the thread. I just think your profile picture is awesome @Carlos_421 (edit for typo)

giphy.gif
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I think digital "awards" are dumb. I don't care if a little trophy pops up on my phone because I finished today's C25k run.
    That said, this app seems to me to be no different than a fitbit reminding someone to get up and walk every so often. A reminder/encouragement to get up and get going is fine, IMO.

This isn't related to the thread. I just think your profile picture is awesome @Carlos_421 (edit for typo)

giphy.gif

Do you get a trophy for that?
  • Carlos_421
    pinuplove wrote: »

giphy.gif

I did get to eat the Oreos...that's even better than a trophy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

giphy.gif

@pinuplove, Did you just now change your profile pic? I swear it was grumpy orange kitty one click ago.
  • pinuplove

giphy.gif

@pinuplove, Did you just now change your profile pic? I swear it was grumpy orange kitty one click ago.

@quiksylver296 Yes, yes I did. Nope cat better fits my mood today.
  • Carlos_421

giphy.gif

I still see the grumpy kitty
  • Carlos_421

giphy.gif

oop, different kitty I guess. lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

giphy.gif

I love that shirt. I want the pink one.
  • Carlos_421
    I need a "crushing it" kitty for my avi right now because I've gotten enough done at work today that I deserve a trophy.
  • pinuplove
    I need a "crushing it" kitty for my avi right now because I've gotten enough done at work today that I deserve a trophy.

I think we've established there are no trophies. Nope kitty has spoken.

Now I need someone to finish my work...
  • pinuplove

giphy.gif

I love that shirt. I want the pink one.

I need a different color for every day :lol:
  • Carlos_421

Then I demand more Oreos.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2018
    The amount you are hydrated is basically the amount of liquid in your body before and a while after ingesting a beverage of some kind. This could be determined by measuring basically your liquid in (volume of beverages) and liquid out (volume of pee) which would ignore the amount of liquid you lose due to respiration and perspiration which is not insignificant but is relatively constant if your activity level is constant.

Your body homeostatically regulates its isotonic level in physiological liquid. What that basically means is that you keep the same amount of solvated stuff in the liquid that baths your cells. This is essential due to osmotic pressure.

What that means is that if you take in liquid that lowers the overall amount of stuff solvated in the liquid in your body that your body will flush out some liquid to lower the total amount of liquid to come back to equilibrium. If what you drink does not lower the overall amount of solvated stuff your body will generally retain the liquid (although you will still need to pee as part of waste elimination). If you end up ingesting things that increase the amount of solvated stuff in the liquid in your body then you will retain more water in order to dilute it back to the desired level.

The "solvated stuff" tends to be composed mainly of small molecule ions as what matters for osmotic pressure is the amount of stuff not the size of stuff. This tends to be salts. The vast majority of the salt you ingest comes from foods. So really, what has the biggest affect on how well you hydrate isn't what you drink...it is what you eat. The reason is if you eat a lot of salt then your body will tend to retain the liquid you do take in regardless of whether it is from milk or water or soda and the result if you are measuring water in water out is you will "hydrate" more. If you, however, eat a very low salt diet then your body will tend to flush out water you take in to try to keep the levels the same and as a result it will look from water in water out like you are hydrating very much.

So I guess what I'd argue is as long as you are drinking fluids of some kind that how well they hydrate you has a lot more to do with what you eat than with what you drink.

If you are running and sweating profusely and drinking pure water then your body will be losing salts (through sweat) and replacing with salt-free water which means your body will be trying to flush that water out of you. If you want to actually keep that water best to also eat something salty or choose a beverage that has a lot of dissolved solutes in it (often called electrolytes in marketing terms) such as a sports beverage.

• pinuplove

I think you had enough Oreos taking that picture.
  • Carlos_421

I think you had enough Oreos taking that picture.

sg4uddbl4h7w.gif