I need to complain for a minute..haha

Ok, heres the deal. I am sick of my mom telling me, "your skinnier than me, shut up with the calorie counting" and my sister getting annoyed at me counting calories at restraunts we go to. I mean, what is wrong with wanting to eat better and be a little healthier, and maybe get rid of love handles??? I know at times I can get a little obsessive with it but I am really not AS BAD as they act like I am. So I wanted to get opinions from you guys I do have a little fat on my legs, and I do have love handles, they aren't excessive but I would like to have NO fat on me. I never used to, and I know it has something to do with my diet. I do eat very bad, I definatly go over 1,400 calories. And I used to be a fast-food a holic Anyways, suggestions or anything would be nice, positive or negative.

Thanks guys,

:heart: Danielle

Replies

• Ok, heres the deal. I am sick of my mom telling me, "your skinnier than me, shut up with the calorie counting" and my sister getting annoyed at me counting calories at restraunts we go to. I mean, what is wrong with wanting to eat better and be a little healthier, and maybe get rid of love handles??? I know at times I can get a little obsessive with it but I am really not AS BAD as they act like I am. So I wanted to get opinions from you guys I do have a little fat on my legs, and I do have love handles, they aren't excessive but I would like to have NO fat on me. I never used to, and I know it has something to do with my diet. I do eat very bad, I definatly go over 1,400 calories. And I used to be a fast-food a holic Anyways, suggestions or anything would be nice, positive or negative.

Thanks guys,

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    You have to do what is right for you. They are your family, and they should be supporting you.
    Keep up the great job, and don't let them discourage you!!!
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Ok, heres the deal. I am sick of my mom telling me, "your skinnier than me, shut up with the calorie counting" and my sister getting annoyed at me counting calories at restaurants we go to. I mean, what is wrong with wanting to eat better and be a little healthier, and maybe get rid of love handles???

Hmmm...maybe you're skinnier than your mom because you...COUNT CALORIES!!! :wink:
    (duh)
    Don't let 'em get you down. Just keep doing what's right for you.
    Truthfully, if you don't watch how you appear to others it *can* seem a little obsessive; I've caught myself being this way at restaurants and I just make a note to do it more silently/less visible. :wink:
  • I KNOW EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY what you mean!!!!! my mother says the EXACT same thing to me!!!! :mad: my mother is always like u have to stabilize u have no more fat to lose blah blah blah i am sick of it.. I dunno what to do she always complains, make fun whatever!!! i dunno what to do i have a goal and i would like to reach it!!!! So i feel ur pain!!
  • I think that if you had NOOOO fat...well...that is IMPOSSIBLE!!! But...I think that as long as it makes you feel good...then count those calories...if your family is annoyed with it...just don't talk about it as much with them...maybe they are jelous that YOU make an effort!!!??? IF SO>>>TELL THEM TO TRY THE CALORIE COUNTING THEMSELVES>>>ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU ARE HAPPY!!! DON"T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK>>>BELIEVE ME>>>IT IS TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!:wink:
  • I think what matters most is that you don't get a distorted view of your body and begin to obsess over calories. But there is nothing wrong with knowing the number of calories you put in your body. I'm terrible at counting calories and just using this site a few days I've found that many things I thought were "OK" calorie-wise are a lot worse then I thought. With all the press on anorexia a parent will get worried much more quickly then anyone else; that's what parents do! That's there job. :)
    Another way to help parents get a comfort level with what you are doing, depending on your age, is to talk to your doctor about it. If he/she is OK with what you are doing and you're not entering some dangerous level of weight or body mass index then that will help allay their fears. They are just being parents. :) It's always nice to get a professional 2nd opinion that you can hang your hat on, if you know what I mean.
    Tim
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Sabotage from friends and family is a common problem for people trying to lose weight. Frequently it's more subtle than that though, like offering you goodies you (and they) know you shouldn't have . . . Just remember that ultimately they're trying to feel better about themselves, in comparison to you. You're making them look bad (not purposefully of course). I would either ask them to keep their opinions to themselves or encourage them to count calories with you, or both - if that doesn't work then just keep your chin up and remember that what you think is all that really counts!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Going over 1400 calories isn't bad. I'm up to 2000 calories a day, and I assure you, none of them come from junk food, fast food, or processed snack foods. You need to eat according to your activity levels.
    Also, you can't have *no* fat. Females who reach 13% body fat or lower will begin to experience amenorrhea (loss of menstruation), which will lead to osteoporosis *very* quickly. At 9%, or lower, you'll begin to have problems thinking and reasoning. These body fat levels should *only* be reached for physique competitions, and for no more than a day or two.

There is nothing wrong with counting calories or eating healthy foods, but aiming for no body fat is dangerous and unhealthy. You are already slim, so I can understand your family's concern. Not everyone is out to sabotage you, and I think dieters become too sensitive to others' actions. A friend eating a burger in front of you or telling you that you're slim is not sabotage. They're living their lives and expressing their opinions.
  • Everybody, THANK-YOU for your comments, and opinions. I read all of them, and they ALL were very helpful, thanks again. And, Keep um coming!!:happy:

• sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    k, i have to weigh in (no pun intended, lol) on this issue. my mom actually has been really supportive, so i can't complain about her. when i was in high school, she got motivated and started watching her portions and exercising and lost like 40 lbs. so she understands what i'm going through, even though we're going (or in her case went) about it a little differently. so she's really supportive and is good about if i go over to her house to eat, she saves the nutrition facts off the items for me that she uses to cook with! :laugh:

but, my sister is not so supportive . . . she doesn't live in our hometown anymore. she's overweight too and i started counting cals and exercising and didn't tell her anything about it because i figured she'd get mad about it. but she came home last weekend and after i got off work, i went to my parents' house because she was home. my parents had already told her about my counting cals. so we talked about it a litlte and had a good weekend. fast forward . . . later on in the week, we were talking online and she asked what i was doing and i said i was logging my cals and made a comment about my mini twix's cals and carbs. she answered back "am i gonna get a daily update on this stuff? i don't want to hear about it, it makes me feel fat" and i thought "my counting cals doesn't have anything to do with you. it has to do with me wanting to better myself! and me talking about my cals did not make you fat, you made you fat!":grumble:

ahh, thanks, i feel better now . . . :happy:

anyways, obviously, don't go to eating disorder extremes, but good for you for wanting to better yourself! i wish i would have started watching my weight a lot earlier! i could have saved myself a lot of work! lol but at the time that i started gaining weight, i was just kind-of an ostrich with my head in the sand and thinking it would fix itself and then they just added up! and by the way, i'm sure you're not any more obsessive than any of us on this site! i measure EVERYTHING i eat at my house and at my parents!! and if i'm going to go out to eat, i look up ahead of time what i'm going to eat! i think that measuring is important because it helped me regain perspective on what "normal" portions are! anyways, keep making yourself healthier! good for you! we'll be happy for you, even if the people in your life arent! hehe :tongue:
  • anothergoat
    anothergoat Posts: 19 Member
    You are slim and beautiful and it's great that you are counting calories to develop better eating habits and maintain a healthier lifestyle. Hooray for you!

But healthy and perfect are two different things. If you are doing all this so you can have a "perfect" body, you will be disappointed. What is perfect? Airbrushed photos of models in magazines? Do you know anyone who is perfect? Look closer.....no, they aren't. They just make the best of what they do have.

I know at your age, all you see are the "imperfections" (I did, too) - and it's hard to believe that everyone around you doesn't notice them all right away. (They are actually more likely to be dwelling on their own issues.) Trust me, when you get to be in your 40's you will look back and wonder why you wasted all that mental energy dwelling on one or two problem areas - when in reality, you looked great and you never got to enjoy it!

I had to learn at a young age that I was never going to be perfect. I was always taller than everyone else. I had two choices...be miserable and obsessive, or I could make the best of it and be happy. Guess which is more attractive?