Any tips on losing the last few pounds?

Options
I started my journey with one goal in mind toning up and losing some extra weight. I lost a lot of weight the first 2 months, however at the moment the scale is not budging. Any tips ?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to just going the weight loss method you might want to read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost any Weight? A moment isn't very long!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Very careful tracking. If you do that for over a month and it doesn't move then most likely the calorie goal is too high or you aren't as accurate as you think; maybe overestimating burn. The mfp exercise estimates are notoriously high for a lot of exercises. Anything that is a cardio exercise over time is suspect since intensity varies among other things. I lost the last few more slowly but didn't change what I was doing.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I've been "losing the last few pounds" for what seems like forever. The strategy is basically the same as losing the first bunch: eat less than I burn. It's slow going and there's a lot of scale fluctuation both from the usual reasons of fluid, etc and also because I am pretty much mentally pretty over deficit eating. So I accommodate this by going to maintenance for a month or two and then doing a small deficit that might result in 1 pound or so actual fat loss per month. I've been at maintenance plus a little over the past 5 weeks recovering from a health issue so I have put on about a pound of actual fat. The good news is that I am ready to go back to the "Y" and for me, intentional exercise spurs me to eat more healthfully and those choices usually go hand in hand with slight deficit eating. Still, all things being equal, I am about 9 pounds under what I was at this time last year.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I've been "losing the last few pounds" for what seems like forever. The strategy is basically the same as losing the first bunch: eat less than I burn. It's slow going and there's a lot of scale fluctuation both from the usual reasons of fluid, etc and also because I am pretty much mentally pretty over deficit eating. So I accommodate this by going to maintenance for a month or two and then doing a small deficit that might result in 1 pound or so actual fat loss per month. I've been at maintenance plus a little over the past 5 weeks recovering from a health issue so I have put on about a pound of actual fat. The good news is that I am ready to go back to the "Y" and for me, intentional exercise spurs me to eat more healthfully and those choices usually go hand in hand with slight deficit eating. Still, all things being equal, I am about 9 pounds under what I was at this time last year.

I thought maintenance was supposed to be zero weight gain.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

The goal is a range, as noted above, and when I am cycling between deficit and maintenance I strive for zero fat gain. But you might have missed the actual words I used: "maintenance plus a little" Without my usual non-exercise activity during my recovery, the calorie level of "maintenance" was a bit above what I was burning - hence the ~1# fat gain.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Inesbt wrote: »
    I started my journey with one goal in mind toning up and losing some extra weight. I lost a lot of weight the first 2 months, however at the moment the scale is not budging. Any tips ?

Patience and super accurate logging - food scale, carefully chosen database entries.

And strength training - as per the recomp thread linked earlier, it can do wonders for your shape.
  • successgal1
    Options

The goal is a range, as noted above, and when I am cycling between deficit and maintenance I strive for zero fat gain. But you might have missed the actual words I used: "maintenance plus a little" Without my usual non-exercise activity during my recovery, the calorie level of "maintenance" was a bit above what I was burning - hence the ~1# fat gain.

Ah ok, I did miss the "plus a little".
  • successgal1
    Options
    Maintenance is a range. You decide the goal range--how many pounds that range will be before you reach your scream weight. You will always fluctuate up and down several pounds.

"Scream weight". I like that wording!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale and weighing all your food? How long has the scale stalled? Have you started any new exercise? Are you taking measurements?

Especially with the last few lbs it's normal for water weight to mask progress. Also you may want to start weighing all your food if not already.