Keto to control hunger

Replies

• Strawberrygrl
    Strawberrygrl Posts: 147 Member
    When I started keto, I too was always hungry. It is just something that needed to be worked through. It took a few weeks for that hunger to go away and now at 2 months I am at the point where I am able to only eat one meal a day.

I may get a little hungry before dinner and have a little snack, and I may still be a little hungry after dinner so I might have another small snack. But my hunger is diminished throughout the day after I drink my 2 cups of bulletproof coffee in the morning (coffee, protein powder, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 2 small squirts of liquid Stevia, and 1 tbsp of 0 carb coffee creamer). Sometimes I do drink 2 cups of decaf bulletproof coffee at night before bed, but I leave out the protein powder. Bulletproof coffee is the best thing I have noticed to keep me from hunger for several hours.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    OP, do you see yourself living ketosis the rest of your life? Just asking?
    Well I can’t live like I’m living for the rest of my life it’s making me so miserable that I have such a voracious appetite and all I’m doing is gaining weight. This is about my emotional health and self esteem and what eating healthy means to me personally. I may like fruit but it’s just not good for me it messes with my blood sugar and makes me hungrier than before I ate it. So yes, I can do this long term if it truly makes me happy and able to sustain a healthy weight. It’s like asking yourself if your willing to count calories for the rest of your life. We each have to do what is healthy and sustainable for us.

Are you eating enough calories?
    About 3k or more a day. That’s what carbs do to me and why I’m gaining weight. I actually practice intuitive eating because I think it’s the right way to go and don’t restrict my calories at all. But what we put into our bodies satisfies us in different ways. I don’t need willpower or to “ get ahold of myself and stay within my calorie range” I naturally eat half on keto so it’s perfect for me.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Well I can’t live like I’m living for the rest of my life it’s making me so miserable that I have such a voracious appetite and all I’m doing is gaining weight. This is about my emotional health and self esteem and what eating healthy means to me personally. I may like fruit but it’s just not good for me it messes with my blood sugar and makes me hungrier than before I ate it. So yes, I can do this long term if it truly makes me happy and able to sustain a healthy weight. It’s like asking yourself if your willing to count calories for the rest of your life. We each have to do what is healthy and sustainable for us.

About 3k or more a day. That’s what carbs do to me and why I’m gaining weight. I actually practice intuitive eating because I think it’s the right way to go and don’t restrict my calories at all. But what we put into our bodies satisfies us in different ways. I don’t need willpower or to “ get ahold of myself and stay within my calorie range” I naturally eat half on keto so it’s perfect for me.

The “perfect” diet is one you can maintain, so in that keto fell short the last time.

If you weren’t hungry but had cravings but eat intuitively but binged something isn’t adding up. We might be able to help, with a little more data. Right now it feels like you’re presenting us with conclusions; it works better if we can draw some of those ourselves.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    What were you eating when you tried keto before, and what did you crave? How many carbs/net carbs did you allow yourself? How long could you stay on it before binge-ing? I’ve noticed on here that a lot of people seem to try to make keto even more restrictive than it already is, and if you’re one of them it might be worth another shot. Otherwise, maybe it would make more sense to try to incorporate the foods you found so sating on keto into a diet that isn’t so restrictive.

I don’t binge because I don’t count calories anymore. I listen to my body and eat when I’m hungry. I just happen to eat less on keto.

But you don’t eat less on keto; you eat less and then binge. Wasn’t that the problem?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member

What were you eating when you tried keto before, and what did you crave? How many carbs/net carbs did you allow yourself? How long could you stay on it before binge-ing? I’ve noticed on here that a lot of people seem to try to make keto even more restrictive than it already is, and if you’re one of them it might be worth another shot. Otherwise, maybe it would make more sense to try to incorporate the foods you found so sating on keto into a diet that isn’t so restrictive.

I don’t binge because I don’t count calories anymore. I listen to my body and eat when I’m hungry. I just happen to eat less on keto.

Good luck with your goals.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited October 2018
    Hiya OP and everyone,

Re: feeling full. I’ve noticed I can eat 5 donuts and not feel full - but I can only eat one plate of broccoli or cauliflower and feel very full. I’ve been on keto for awhile now, I add in more plant based foods simply because that what fills me up and they happen to be lower calorie as well.
    Are there certain foods that you find more satiating?
    I’ve also started altering my recipes to add more vegetables, fiber and make them more nutrient dense- this has helped me feel more full as well.

When I make chili- I put it on a bed of shredded romaine ...
    When I make an omelette, I Add some flax.
    If I make a protein shake / I add some chia.
    If I mak some shrimp - I pair with Brussels sprouts.
    I kinda put broccoli sprouts on everything.
    Cute little buggers! ☺️
    I also put pumpkin purée in my coffee - fiber and vitamin A - and I love everything pumpkin! (I digress...)

I think you will find your winning combo! Don’t get discouraged. Find your healthy sweet spot and it will fall into place!

Ps - some great ideas 💡 in this thread!

• Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    I've done Keto for over 2 years. When I ratio it out to 5-7 small snack like meals a day, I have worse cravings than when I do 3 meals a day. It took two weeks for me to adjust from the 5-7 small to the 3x day, but when completed, cravings went away.

Also, for me, I noticed that adding the salt, as suggested above, caused my feet/hands to swell. I also switched to Pink salt but I keep my levels of intake under control for uncomfortable "kankles".

Increasing carbs like Potatoes and others simply make my desire to eat more, out of control. They trigger my cravings. Where are your fat grams coming from? For me, I tend to feel full longer if I start my day by adding some high grade MCT oil into my coffee. Have to be careful, the calories can add up on that, but it seems to help me. I also try to eat a high fat fish at dinner. Not all fish is created equal in protein or fat (omega 3s). Experiment with some of the less popular types like Swordfish and Herring (pickling is not required but would add sodium).

Another benefit for me- eating low carb tends to also be low in gluten. I don't have a disease or allergies but I am pre-menopausal- low gluten controls my hot flashes without putting synthetic estrogen in my body. When I eat breads and high gluten products, hot flashes return along with muscle cramping and of course- lack of sleep from all these hateful symptoms. There is research to substantiate the statement but my biggest research is myself. Sleeping in pools of sweat and sticking me head in a freezer to find relief is only required when I cave to any crave for carbs.

Hormone/hot flash thoughts in mind, those not yet in that stage of life might just want to ponder now...how might the gluten and carbs be affecting my body, my hormones and what role is it playing on how I feel? Last I looked, we are not all created equal and pretty sure we all have own "sweet" spot for dietary balance, based on our individual genetics. Tweaking any program of choice is necessary and most epically different between male and female. I am sure the entire hot flash benefit will always be lost on any male reading my comments.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I know there is a huge following and a group on here for this. And I’ve done keto before. Just had some general questions. I’m currently doing a whole grain low fat clean eating diet. No sugar or artificial sweeteners. But I get SO hungry! I eat breakfast at least twice and about 7 meals/snacks a day. I wanted to try keto for a couple of days to see if it reduced my appetite to help me stay within my calorie range. Every time I’ve done keto before the cravings were intense so I was not able to continue. It would lead me to binge on things I had cut out of my diet. Is there any easy way to get through that phase? A supplement to take?

Different people find different foods/macro combinations satiating. For me I need to get at least 90g of protein and hit my fiber goal, regardless of carb level. Beans and potatoes are the foods I find keep me full the longest. I don't find fatty foods filling (I can easily overeat nuts, cheese, cream based desserts, chicken thighs, etc) so keto wouldn't work for me.

If you generally find keto-type foods filling, it could help you. Or maybe you just need low carb and not all the way to keto levels? I do believe that when you start out on keto you need to make sure you increase your salt intake to ensure electrolyte balance, but I'm sure others with experience doing keto will be around shortly.

@kimny72 this for me too- it’s about the fiber and protein. I’ll stop at a certain point with cruciferous veggies- but I could eat lime tostitos all day long though. ☺️
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Does this resonate with you?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
    I don’t binge because I practice intuitive eating. It’s the only way to eat like a bit person. This is why I’m doing keto because it’s so healthy. Carbs are not healthy.

So you think the "clean" diet you are eating now is unhealthy?

I'm really confused at this point, as there is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about carbs, and some of the longest-lived communities on the planet eat diets relatively high in carbs. I'll just say - best of luck I hope you figure it out.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I would love to hear from the people who are at maintenance of large amounts of weight who are on keto. Not being sarcastic actually. I mean years of maintenance.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Perhaps you could try a balanced macro ratio that incorporates both carbohydrates and fat in moderate amounts. It seems that neither low-fat nor keto have worked for you, so balancing out the two may warrant more success.

^This.

Keto didn’t work out for me, either. I was constantly hungry.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    It's a funny thing about "cravings". Where do they come from? Hypothalamic? In used to crave Hyperpalitable stuff, these days... honestly... I care vegetables. Not covered in butter or sugar, but... plain... maybe a little salt and pepper. Hmmmm... research this, I will....