AAARRGGHH, I NEED A DONER KEBAB!!!

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    @slimgirl maybe the McDonalds ones? I don't know. I suppose depends how huge it is? Chicken one would be less than the lamb one for sure tho. But bear in mind it's chicken thigh meat - so more fat more calories. Then would depend on the bread - plain old Leb bread or is it the Greek pitta bread? then the sauces and so on.

Maybe one of these days I'll brave a kebab again and take it apart and weigh the meat and eyeball the rest of the ingredients to see what it would stack up to. Def more than 100g meat on the ones I used to get.

It's just one from the local kebab shop.. tbh I saw cals for ones in the 400s and some in the 900s so I basically picked the in between. I have one about once every 10 days or so and my weight has always been pretty stable so I figure I'm close enough.
    I only have a little sweet chilli on mine plus salad and meat on Lebanese bread.
    Please don't weigh it all up and tell me it's 1200 cals it's one of my few guilty pleasures left lol :D:)
  • jimhotspur
    jimhotspur Posts: 1 Member
    mikesphoto wrote: »
    Great, now I'm hungry.

Snap.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited October 2018
    https://www.frugalfamily.co.uk/homemade-doner-kebab-slow-cooker-slimming-world-fakeaway/

I made this one once before, it's no substitute for the takeaway but it's not bad and it's essentially only the mince that has significant calories so if you made it up with a full pack of mince from say Tesco or somewhere you'd be looking at around 350 calories for a third of the pack + around 200 calories for a pitta bread and then any sauces/extras you add.

The Iceland stuff isn't bad either, I was shocked to find it here in Ireland, but it does put me off that it's made in my hometown back in the UK and I probably know half the reprobates processing it :lol:
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Please help. I absolutely crave some scrapings of that five day old, rat infested, elephant leg from my fat belly worry free days. Now though I'm watching my calorie intake. Doner kebab weighs in at about 93 billion calories. Surely with so much leeway, somebody must have come up with a low or at least lower cal option. I know Iceland do a slightly lower cal version, but if you have a recipe for a diet friendly version, I'll give you my life savings.

Make room for it if you crave it that much. Otherwise, its not worth it.

You're right, but even though MyFitness app gives me a whopping great 2660 calories per day to work with, a greasy doner kebab is more than that in one go.

Seriously, just do it! I'm a great believer in not denying yourself anything and having it in moderation.
    You could go for a smaller portion, only eat half of it or just build it in so that over the course of the week you reduce your other days to compensate.
    One dirty kebab isn't going to ruin anything, just don't do it every week....... :)
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    edited October 2018

Huh? What kind of Döner Kebab are you guys getting where you're from??? No kebab I've ever had was more than 700 calories, and that includes bread and sauce!

Here in Germany, the lowest I have been able to see as a full-on Doner Kebap is well over 1,000 calories. However, as one poster above mentioned, I go with the Doner Box, or Doner Teller (plate), thereby losing the calories from the wrap/pita. And I used to do that quite often before I started keto. I have not had one since, but not necessarily because of doing keto, I just am trying to keep my carbs down.
  • bdgfn
    My standard Döner Box includes meat (veal) and salad. The macros for one serving (app. 350 g) are as follows:

calories: 467
    fat: 35,4 g
    protein: 29,1 g
    carbs: 9,3 g

Depending on the server, it's a bit more meat or more salad, so the macros vary a tiny bit, but overall, it's really perfectly ok and easily fits into my eating plan, even several times a week.

I'd be really interested to know what you consider a proper Döner to get to over 2,000 calories!

Interesting...the Doner Boxes here in Germany include Pommes Frites (French Fries), and usually do not have any salad, just the meat, potatoes, cheese and lots of sauces. The Doner Teller (plate) on the other hand, does have salad, and you can add or omit the potatoes.
  • bdgfn
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

Make room for it if you crave it that much. Otherwise, its not worth it.

You're right, but even though MyFitness app gives me a whopping great 2660 calories per day to work with, a greasy doner kebab is more than that in one go.[/quote]

Seriously, just do it! I'm a great believer in not denying yourself anything and having it in moderation.
    You could go for a smaller portion, only eat half of it or just build it in so that over the course of the week you reduce your other days to compensate.
    One dirty kebab isn't going to ruin anything, just don't do it every week....... :) [/quote]

^This!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    A day's worth of calories in one meal is worth it for sanity sometimes and won't set you back by much if you don't do it often. Just have a day at maintenance calories, on a day you happen to be active, and go for it.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    bdgfn wrote: »
    My standard Döner Box includes meat (veal) and salad. The macros for one serving (app. 350 g) are as follows:

calories: 467
    fat: 35,4 g
    protein: 29,1 g
    carbs: 9,3 g

Depending on the server, it's a bit more meat or more salad, so the macros vary a tiny bit, but overall, it's really perfectly ok and easily fits into my eating plan, even several times a week.

I'd be really interested to know what you consider a proper Döner to get to over 2,000 calories!

Interesting...the Doner Boxes here in Germany include Pommes Frites (French Fries), and usually do not have any salad, just the meat, potatoes, cheese and lots of sauces. The Doner Teller (plate) on the other hand, does have salad, and you can add or omit the potatoes.

I'm in Germany, too, and my Döner Man :wink: always gives you the choice to have salad or french fries in your Döner Box. I don't like the sauces, so it really is a pretty healthy meal option.
  • Lorri1957
    Lorri1957 Posts: 40 Member
    There are dozens of Keto recipes for Doner Kabobs out there. Goggle it and you will be suprised what comes up. Good luck!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I, as an American, remember traveling to Amsterdam and well.... taking some "herbal" supplements.... then eating like 3 durum donner kabobs.... wow... never realized how many cals they had!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm a bit skeptical about all those calorie counts that you guys have.

First, when I crave one of those... only lamb/beef will do (or whatever it's traditionally made with!).

But it's still nowhere near 1200 calories! 500 tops for the meat, 250 tops for the pita, tzatziki sauce is not that high calorie so maybe 100 calories, then just some lettuce, tomato and onion... maybe 50 more.

And even that's pushing it because the local place here has them at 700 calories. I'd like to see those 1200+ calorie ones...
  • Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    Try being in a city known world wide for it's invention :/ Donairs in pizza shops on every corner
  • Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

First, when I crave one of those... only lamb/beef will do (or whatever it's traditionally made with!).

But it's still nowhere near 1200 calories! 500 tops for the meat, 250 tops for the pita, tzatziki sauce is not that high calorie so maybe 100 calories, then just some lettuce, tomato and onion... maybe 50 more.

And even that's pushing it because the local place here has them at 700 calories. I'd like to see those 1200+ calorie ones...

Yeap you are right. Unless its something weird I dont see it either. Even if you account for any of the extra greasy stuff. There is a reason why ppl that eat these feel like crap after. Also the reason why they are best at 4am when you are coming back from a bar lol :)

Tzatziki does not go on doner kebab (gralic sauce and mayo sauce will go on).

Here it is canned milk soured with vinegar mixed with garlic and a ton of sugar
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Ummm NEED a doner kebab is unlikely...WANT is a different matter :smiley:
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    I made this on Saturday night for dinner. Just over 700 Kcals. Not a donner but bloody tastey and rather filling.

kxqnkl1rpjhm.jpg
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    My "trick" to not eating doner is not easily being able to live in a country where they are at all common (knock on wood that'll change). I know, easier said than done, though apparently there's a place 20-30 min away that sells them. When I'm in Germany or Austria I a. typically don't get them too often, b. often go with doner boxes (with salad or rice), and c. never get the garlic sauce, but that's because I just don't like it.

I have yet to find a recipe that I really like so I, unfortunately, can't help you there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeap you are right. Unless its something weird I dont see it either. Even if you account for any of the extra greasy stuff. There is a reason why ppl that eat these feel like crap after. Also the reason why they are best at 4am when you are coming back from a bar lol :)

Tzatziki does not go on doner kebab (gralic sauce and mayo sauce will go on).

Here it's gyros and it typically comes with tzatziki sauce.

Now I wonder what the difference is between a gyro and a doner kebab. I guess it's the sauce?
  • dandelion85_
    dandelion85_ Posts: 5 Member
    No, no, no! Ha nobody can eat one of these sober! It’s a 3am food after the club!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    These messages made me hungry!