Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The biggest thing that annoys me at the gym is waiting a long time for equipment.

Which is not really their fault.

But let's say I want to use 3 machines. Machine 1 is taken, so I go to machine 2, it's taken, so I go to machine 3, it's taken, so I go back to wait for machine 1, and someone new is on the machine. So I wait for machine 1, and that person wants to hog the machine and spend all day on it. So I go to machine 2 and someone new is on machine 2.

That is very annoying. I like to spend my workout working out and not standing around waiting. And also annoying is having to do scavenger hunts for weight clips and the other matching weight of the dumbbell, while simultaneously trying to protect your bench space.

@IHaveMyActTogether

why not ask: "May I Work In?"

most folks have no problem with this.

I'm not really a jerk. I'm just an introvert. I'd rather go to the dentist than "work in" with strangers at the gym. I just want to be left alone to do my thing. :/

You realize that this is your issue and not the general management of the gym's. Gyms are public places. If someone really values their privacy, a home gym is the solution. At my gym here in Oaxaca Mexico, we all work in just fine and working in doesn't mean some big social interaction. They do a set, I do a set. Maybe a "how many sets do you have left?" or a "this is my last one". All in Spanish of course.

It's actually not an issue of mine. I was just agreeing with a previous poster that "working in" sucks for some of us. It feels awkward. Sometimes there's unwanted flirting. And that's just one more hassle I don't want to fend off while I could be focused on my workout. Personal preference is personal preference.

If someone is on a machine I want, I just go on to something else. I don't assume they're cool with me being up in their space and insert myself into their workout. That's rarely even a problem, though, since I usually go after midnight when there are only about 3 other people in the entire gym and people just smile and say hi, and then go off and do their own thing. (Yes, I do say hi to people.) That's cool if other people enjoy working in, though. It's just not my thing. :)
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    No problem with using equipment in an unconventional manner (key being the equipment is not being destroyed in the process). Doubtful a typical commercial gym has every single type of gym equipment/machine available...sometimes non conventional use might feel better suited than the traditional machine (ex. high rows on a lat pulldown vs. a hammer high row).
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    kaizaku wrote: »
    kaizaku wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The biggest thing that annoys me at the gym is waiting a long time for equipment.

Which is not really their fault.

But let's say I want to use 3 machines. Machine 1 is taken, so I go to machine 2, it's taken, so I go to machine 3, it's taken, so I go back to wait for machine 1, and someone new is on the machine. So I wait for machine 1, and that person wants to hog the machine and spend all day on it. So I go to machine 2 and someone new is on machine 2.

That is very annoying. I like to spend my workout working out and not standing around waiting. And also annoying is having to do scavenger hunts for weight clips and the other matching weight of the dumbbell, while simultaneously trying to protect your bench space.

@IHaveMyActTogether

why not ask: "May I Work In?"

most folks have no problem with this.

I'm not really a jerk. I'm just an introvert. I'd rather go to the dentist than "work in" with strangers at the gym. I just want to be left alone to do my thing. :/

I've let people join in, my workout. Its no big deal. I didn't necessarily talk and I don't see the point in talking. Even if you an introvert.

I don't mind working in on say, triceps press, where all you have to do is move the pin. But if I'm leg pressing 600+ pounds and the person working on leg press is doing 90, that' a hassle for both of us to work in. I'd rather wait.

I don't want to work in with some dude benching three plates, because every minute you're stripping plates. If we're both working at a similar weight, then I don't mind working in on bench.

Also don't like working in on the pullup machine/dip station. Because it speeds up the workout to where both of you are not taking the proper rest periods and end up not doing as many dips because you're gassed.

I Totally understand what you mean. But, if its busy, and want a gym session for an hour then you got to do, what needs to be done. But if you don't mind being in the gym 2+ hours. Wait all day by all means. Also one can't assume the person who will join do 90kg leg press, perhaps he will push more weight. If you go gym after work, do you seriously want to stay that long?

To each his own is how I look at it.

That's right.
  • People who don't re-rack weights,
    People who take up your mirror space especially on a lift/weight where bad form can F you up bad.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    People who leave things at the water fountain.

Chewed gum
    Lougies/spit
    Whatever smelly protein shake residue you dumped out of your shaker cup

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    People who don't re-rack weights,
    People who take up your mirror space especially on a lift/weight where bad form can F you up bad.

"I don't get the mirrors at the gym. I don't want to see myself working out. I know what I look like. That's why I'm going to the gym!" - Jim Gaffigan

:D I love him !!
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    People who don't re-rack weights,

"I don't get the mirrors at the gym. I don't want to see myself working out. I know what I look like. That's why I'm going to the gym!" - Jim Gaffigan

:D I love him !!

Hot Pockets!
  • glgcam5150
    glgcam5150 Posts: 3,728 Member
    Gym Douche Selfie Takers
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Really....nothing. I dont pay people much attention in the gym if im not working or interacting with them. I do my thing and not much distracts ne from that. I also know there are a lot of people in there just trying to find their way and I respect that more than let some ettiquete slip ups annoy me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I had one happen today....I know, it takes a while to get there.

At the little 24hr place I go there are about 9 pieces of cardio equipment facing the side wall and 4 TV's. All the ellipticals are to one side, treadmills to the other. All the ellipticals were spoken for, took up 3 of the TV's and all those 3 TV's were on the morning news. There's a 5ft walkway (or so) behind the 1st row of equpment. Behind the treadmills not in use are one elliptical and one bike. I jumped on the elliptical and turned on the TV nobody was watching. After some time a person came in and started walking on the treadmill....no big deal, a few minutes later another person came in, asked the other walker if they were watching the TV and then changed it. Um, hello...I'm right behind you.

That bugged the crap out of me this morning.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I had one happen today....I know, it takes a while to get there.

At the little 24hr place I go there are about 9 pieces of cardio equipment facing the side wall and 4 TV's. All the ellipticals are to one side, treadmills to the other. All the ellipticals were spoken for, took up 3 of the TV's and all those 3 TV's were on the morning news. There's a 5ft walkway (or so) behind the 1st row of equpment. Behind the treadmills not in use are one elliptical and one bike. I jumped on the elliptical and turned on the TV nobody was watching. After some time a person came in and started walking on the treadmill....no big deal, a few minutes later another person came in, asked the other walker if they were watching the TV and then changed it. Um, hello...I'm right behind you.

That bugged the crap out of me this morning.

This reminded me of one of my old gyms. It was a gym in Oklahoma, mostly cardiac rehab so a lot of old republicans. There was a middle aged liberal lady that met with a personal trainer every morning and they liked to give her *kitten* for supporting Obama. She doesn't take jokes very well. One day, one of the old regulars conspired with one of the employees to "prank" the liberal lady by turning her TV to Fox News while she was doing her cardio. She freaked out and rage quit the gym. I saw her huffing and puffing on the way out as I was coming in, then they told me the story and I was not surprised. She then wrote several strongly worded letters to the higher ups.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    The other day, I saw a guy put his mouth under the tap to drink water. That's nasty. Some people bring their bad house habits to public places.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    https://youtu.be/TnNYTMExApI

An in depth study on people you hate at the gym ;)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/TnNYTMExApI

An in depth study on people you hate at the gym ;)

:laugh: OMG!
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    currently being the only powerlifter at the gym i'm currently going to, and without any other kind of lifters like oly lifters. all the bodybuilders judges/criticizes me because i'm the odd ball here, doing everything completely different than their norm, like the one and only person to ever do sumo deadlifts, low bar squats, incorporating deadstops, and pause reps methods in my training, a lot of the bodybuilders disagrees with the things i do, sometimes they even think i got stuck. when when i do deadstops for bench press and squats, some guys will think i got stuck and try to grab the bar off me LMAO. i mean it's funny but it's also very annoying at the same time. and like every 2 months i'll switch between sumo/low bar squats and conventional/high bar squats. whenever i do sumo deadlifts for my programming they tend to look down/frown on me, some guys will purposely walk by me do a fake cough and say "cheater". but i'm like whatever, it's you guys that are missing out on the good stuff.
  • danavelling
    danavelling Posts: 1,224 Member
    I’m grossed out by sweat. So, nasty machines or people dripping sweat all over stuff just does it for ne
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    People who try to monopolise 2/3 machines at the same time (when it's busy).

This is why I love going in the morning. I love circuits, and when there’s only three other people it’s great. I’m not a jerk, and they’re regulars, too, so we just got our own thing going
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited October 2018
    People who try to monopolise 2/3 machines at the same time (when it's busy).

This is why I love going in the morning. I love circuits, and when there’s only three other people it’s great. I’m not a jerk, and they’re regulars, too, so we just got our own thing going

I do the same...representing the get **** done, minimal talking, no cell phones while lifting, train regularly crowd. Would not lift in this manner in a crowded gym...1-5am, sure, don't mind people go "nuts" (myself included)