Alternatives to Coffeemate Creamer?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Alternatives ...

Black coffee.

Or if you must put something in your coffee, milk, I suppose.

Actually, I'm thinking of trying coffee syrup - caramel flavour, probably.
    https://www.quarterpast.com/
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Laurdy7 wrote: »
    HELP, I’m addicted to Coffeemate flavored creamers and I can’t enjoy coffee w/o it. But I know it’s really awful for you 😞 What are some healthy ways you successful MFP-ers sweeten your coffee?

My wife was hooked on that stuff and put a huge amount in. She too didn't like coffee without it so she changed to hot tea. Been drinking it for about four months now.
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    edited October 2018
    I use half and half and sugar because I love it that way. I started weighing my coffee last year and I swear these are the best cups of coffee I’ve ever made. 10 grams of sugar and 2 oz of half and half makes my perfect cup, and it’s 119 calories of delicious. And it hasn’t stopped me from losing 55 lbs in a year, so I’m sticking with it. If anything, it’s helped, because I’m having what I love and being accurate at the same time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I say use what you want.

Personally I use homemade chocolate syrup and whole milk. Or sometimes, just black coffee.

If you like the creamer, it's not gonna kill you for one or two cups a day.

Now if you're an all-day coffee drinker, well that's another thread.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    In what ways are Coffeemate(TM) flavored creamers awful for you?

May I ask why you added the (TM) ?
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    unsweetened vanilla flavored cashew milk is what I use. Calories are so negligible I don't bother counting them.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    crazyravr wrote: »
    MichSmish wrote: »
    unsweetened vanilla flavored cashew milk is what I use. Calories are so negligible I don't bother counting them.

How is this a creamer? Whole idea of a creamer is make the coffee well.... creamier. Not just whiter :)

It absolutely makes it creamier IMO. Compared to black coffee? Plus, I actually *like* the taste of my coffee, and don’t want to mask it entirely ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    My fave right now is International Delight Oreo creamer, I only use 1 tbsp per cup (and yes, I measure it).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Laurdy7 wrote: »
    HELP, I’m addicted to Coffeemate flavored creamers and I can’t enjoy coffee w/o it. But I know it’s really awful for you 😞 What are some healthy ways you successful MFP-ers sweeten your coffee?

Half and half, only 20 calories per tablespoon. If you really want the vanilla flavor, a drop of extract will take care of that.
  • earlnabby

Probably because it is a proprietary trademarked name for a specific non dairy coffee additive.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Here's one you could make (there are other ones too using various 'milks' (coconut/almond etc.,) dates, etc.,
    This one is from Amy's Healthy Baking site:

Skinny Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer

Yields: about 2 cups
    This healthier coffee creamer alternative has the same flavors as pumpkin pie! It’s full of warm spices, rich vanilla notes, and real pumpkin. It’ll stay fresh for at least one week if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

2 cups (480mL) unsweetened cashew milk
    ¼ cup (61g) pumpkin purée
    ½ - ¾ tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste
    ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
    ⅛ tsp ground ginger
    ¼ teaspoon vanilla crème stevia, or adjusted to taste

Report this ad

Add all of the ingredients to a medium pot, and whisk to combine. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes or until completely heated through. Transfer the mixture to a glass measuring cup, and let it cool completely to room temperature. (To speed up the process, place the measuring cup in the refrigerator.) Once cooled, whisk the mixture to reincorporate the spices. Transfer to a glass jar or an airtight, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
    Notes: The larger serving size compared to traditional coffee creamer (usually around 1 tablespoon) is to account for the cashew milk being thinner than heavy cream.

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk may be substituted for the unsweetened cashew milk, although it is much thinner in consistency.

Any other milk, including dairy-based ones, may be substituted, although they will substantially change the Nutrition Information (see the link below).

Any other sweetener may be substituted for the liquid stevia. You'll want to use the equivalent of 2-3 tablespoons of sugar. Add 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract if using a sweetener without vanilla flavoring.

{gluten-free, vegan, clean eating, low fat, low calorie, sugar-free}
    Serving Size: ¼ cup Servings In Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 10 Calories from Fat 5.4
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.6 g1%
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g0%
    Unsaturated Fat 0.3 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg0%
    Sodium 40.4 mg2%
    Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.4 g2%
    Sugars 0.3 g
    Protein 0.1 g0%
  • lunacat76
    lunacat76 Posts: 1 Member
    Another vote for nutpods! I use the unsweetened one in place of half and half, but I know they have flavored ones too.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    earlnabby wrote: »

Probably because it is a proprietary trademarked name for a specific non dairy coffee additive.

Yes, I know what TM stands for and that coffeemate is a product name, but I don’t understand the use of “(TM)” on the mfp forums. This isn’t going to be used as a business proposal or a deposition.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby wrote: »

Yes, I know what TM stands for and that coffeemate is a product name, but I don’t understand the use of “(TM)” on the mfp forums. This isn’t going to be used as a business proposal or a deposition.

True but perhaps the poster is in patent law. It seems a silly thing to complain about. What difference does it make if it is used or not?
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    there is a creamer called natural bliss and they have different flavors and it's just cream, also they make some of them from almond milk so that's another alternative
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited October 2018

I was being sassy.

Well, perhaps I should clarify the sassy-ness. I just think it's funny that it was clarified as "coffeemate" creamers rather than something like "packaged coffee creamers". I probably should have suggested something like International Delight to follow through on my poor excuse of a joke.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I'm a coffee snob and only drink high quality coffee and grind my beans every morning...in most cases I just drink it black because I enjoy the flavor of the coffee. I prefer a medium roast...my wife will occasionally pick up a dark roast which is typically a little more bitter than I care for so I cut it with a little half and half.

If you want natural, just use half and half or drink your coffee black.
  • jmc930
    jmc930 Posts: 11 Member
    I find I use less International Delight brand than I do of the Coffeemate brand. I drink this if I make coffee at home.

If I'm at work, I use half and half and sugar.

I also add D-Mannose to my coffee, which is a supplement for urinary health. It's sweet, and that helps too. Not advising you start taking D-Mannose, just being honest about my coffee.
  • gjurbina
    gjurbina Posts: 1 Member
    I use unsweetened almond or coconut milk and a tiny bit of honey. I feel that it’s at least more nutrient dense calories.
  • earlnabby

I was being sassy.

Well, perhaps I should clarify the sassy-ness. I just think it's funny that it was clarified as "coffeemate" creamers rather than something like "packaged coffee creamers". I probably should have suggested something like International Delight to follow through on my poor excuse of a joke.

Assuming that is you in your avatar, you are too young to remember the commercials for "Sanka brand decaffeinated coffee". A bit of a cumbersome phrase.