Has bmi range changed?

1235»

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    I’m just not a very good judge of what healthy looks/feels like, looking for a bit of guidance really :/
  • Kdp2015
    Erm...damage limitation?...I’m in the habit of losing weight and find it rewarding, if it is healthy then fine, if not...I’m not sure where the line is - I know you need to be focused to achieve goals, but knowing when you are too focused is a bit difficult I guess?
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    20% is low body fat for a lady. Also keep in mind that body fat scales are best used only for trending purposes, they commonly over estimate body fat percentages.
  • Kdp2015 wrote: »
    0wtphe7kdyr8.jpeg
    7su6k5qtxf9o.jpeg
    Pictures for perspective, I don’t think I’m in any danger of being skin and bones - I think 7lbs less would be ok?

You look very average to me. I’d say recomp and focus on body composition. That will do more for you than focusing on weight. I’m also 5’10” and “underweight” if we’re going by BMI starts at 128lb which is 20lb less than you. You don’t have to worry about being “underweight”. You should just focus on being healthy.
  • takemetosingapore2019
    takemetosingapore2019 Posts: 52 Member
    edited October 2018
    Also why 7lb ? That seems like an odd number to choose to lose when you’re already at a healthy weight ? Like I said above, weight training will do wonders for you.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Erm...damage limitation?...I’m in the habit of losing weight and find it rewarding, if it is healthy then fine, if not...I’m not sure where the line is - I know you need to be focused to achieve goals, but knowing when you are too focused is a bit difficult I guess?

Actually, no, it’s not fine. When you are insisting that you still need to lose weight at the low end of a healthy weight, that’s pretty much the definition of a problem.
  • We’re all getting wooed for telling OP how it is... she’s not skinny but she’s not fat. She’s healthy and doesn’t need to lose weight... she can recomp but that’s about it. She’s a grown woman and her body type should be something she’s familiar with by now.
  • Kdp2015
    I’m not wooing anyone :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    We’re all getting wooed for telling OP how it is... she’s not skinny but she’s not fat. She’s healthy and doesn’t need to lose weight... she can recomp but that’s about it. She’s a grown woman and her body type should be something she’s familiar with by now.

i would disagree with part of what you have said, i don't feel that OP has a healthy mentality when it comes to her weight.

just ignore the woo's - i have a woo stalker so i expect one on every post :laugh:
  • We’re all getting wooed for telling OP how it is... she’s not skinny but she’s not fat. She’s healthy and doesn’t need to lose weight... she can recomp but that’s about it. She’s a grown woman and her body type should be something she’s familiar with by now.

i would disagree with part of what you have said, i don't feel that OP has a healthy mentality when it comes to her weight.

just ignore the woo's - i have a woo stalker so i expect one on every post :laugh:

lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Kdp2015 wrote: »

This sounds like much more of a mental mindset for you more than anything. You like the reward of seeing the number on the scale drop, but are not quite happy with your aesthetics. Recomping is a great choice for you, but you would find it difficult to not see the scale move down so you are hesitant.

What I would recommend is that you try to pick other goals to focus on OTHER than your weight. That way you still get the same pleasurable reward in your brain. You have still have something to focus on, but it's not your appearance or a number on the scale. Pick some sort of performance goal....as mentioned resistance based would be best to change your body composition, but at this point I'd recommend anything just to get you out of the weight loss mindset. You don't have to do weights. Perhaps it's working up to 100 pushups or 10 pullups or running a 5k or doing a handstand. Just something that is not your weight. Your physique will follow.

Another vote for non-weight loss goals. Setting performance goals will be easiest if you get a good trainer who can help you with this.