How do you measure butter?

Replies

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Tape measure. Or ruler. Whichever.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    What is all this fuss about, weigh the amount you use, in grams. Weigh it as you take it from the container, simple works for anything.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    madwells1 wrote: »
    If I had my way, by the stick.

Kerrygold is even better. It does not come by the stick but in 1/2 lb. blocks
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I put a small amount of Kerrygold butter (the best by the way) on my 1 piece of toast in the morning. How should I measure it?

When you can no longer see bread, that's 1 serving.

I think that's for peanut butter... :bigsmile:

Right??? Because the butter melts. You'd keep adding and adding until your bread was soggy, and you'd still see it.

Do you use butter with your peanut butter?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I eyeball it. I guess I'm a rebel. I know what a tablespoon looks like because I have baked all my life. So I gauge it based on portion of a tablespoon, either 1 T or 0.5 T.

I weigh PB, but I have a pretty good idea of what a serving on a piece of bread looks like too (after weighing it many times).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I put a small amount of Kerrygold butter (the best by the way) on my 1 piece of toast in the morning. How should I measure it?

Right??? Because the butter melts. You'd keep adding and adding until your bread was soggy, and you'd still see it.

No. People do that?!? :o
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    My butter has little tick marks on the wrapper which tell you where a table spoon is, etc. I just use that.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member

Well I do when I make a grilled peanut butter & jelly, just not on the same side of the bread. :)

• nutmegoreo

I've heard rumors.

Well I do when I make a grilled peanut butter & jelly, just not on the same side of the bread. :)

I have never tried this! :open_mouth:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Next you'll be telling me you've never had a peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon sandwich.

More seriously, I grew up having grilled PB&J as a "feel better" food when sick and knew them as Teddy Bear Sandwiches. Not sure how they got that name.

Edited to add: use quality peanut butter, preserves, and real butter. Cheap jellies and margarine aren't going to give you a good sandwich.

I feel so behind everyone else.

I didn't even try peanut butter and banana sandwiches until I was 38.

I am 62 and I still haven't tried one. Might be because bananas make me barf.
  • quiksylver296

Next you'll be telling me you've never had a peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon sandwich.

More seriously, I grew up having grilled PB&J as a "feel better" food when sick and knew them as Teddy Bear Sandwiches. Not sure how they got that name.

Edited to add: use quality peanut butter, preserves, and real butter. Cheap jellies and margarine aren't going to give you a good sandwich.

How about peanut butter/brown sugar sandwiches?!? Still one of my guilty pleasures.
  • quiksylver296

I'm intrigued, and a little wary. I'm not sure about this. :indifferent:
  • nutmegoreo
    NovusDies wrote: »

So how is it living under a rock?
    I often feel like I'm living under a lot of pressure. Thanks for asking! :laugh:

earlnabby wrote: »

I am 62 and I still haven't tried one. Might be because bananas make me barf.
    Probably not for you then. :wink:

How about peanut butter/brown sugar sandwiches?!? Still one of my guilty pleasures.
    Ummm, no. But I could see that being tasty.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member

I'm intrigued, and a little wary. I'm not sure about this. :indifferent:

Just don't pick sourdough or pumpernickel for your bread and you're fine. :wink:

Get some good peanut butter, go light on it because peanut butter gets messy when it gets hot & melty. Try strawberry preserves for your jelly. Cook it just like a grilled cheese sandwich. Goes great with a glass of milk and some potato chips.