struggling to hit the protein target

Hi, I was hoping one of you might have some good ideas.....

I'm vegeterian, I can't eat nuts or have protein powders, so I'm really struggling to hit the protein target....

Anyone has any ideas of snacks/meals high in protein but not too high in kcal?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Cottage Cheese, Eggs, Chickpeas, Peas, Tofu among others are good sources of protein.

If you still can't manage to get your protein in, there are plenty of veggie friendly supplement powders or bars. If whey isn't suitable for you there are some made from pea proteins, etc.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Beans, high-protein pancake / waffle mixes, greek yogurt. You don't have protein powders... unless there is a specific reason for this... try some. They are incredibly convenient.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    The thread below links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories). Scroll down past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top, and you'll begin to find vegetarian and vegan options. Locate ones you like, and eat more of those, reducing other things that you eat now that have relatively many calories, but don't contribute as well to your protein goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I'm vegetarian, and I found it really helpful.

I'm not sure why you can't eat protein powders, but I want to make sure you're aware that there are many different types, derived from different foods: Whey (from dairy), soy, peas, hemp, etc. Are you unable to eat all of the different types, for some reason, or is it possible that a different type would work for you? (I prefer to get protein from foods vs. powders/bars, but those can be a good option for people struggling to get enough protein.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you think a protein powder would help, why not try a plant-based one? They make soy, hemp, pea, and rice protein powders.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Hi, I was hoping one of you might have some good ideas.....

I'm vegeterian, I can't eat nuts or have protein powders, so I'm really struggling to hit the protein target....

Anyone has any ideas of snacks/meals high in protein but not too high in kcal?

Use a vegetarian plant based protein powder they are out there.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    thanks for all your replies!

I've tried many different protein powders, whey as well as plant based, many different brands, and for some reason I get upset stomach after every single one of them:(
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    if you do eat eggs and dairy adding some of those options help - Otherwise beans, tofu, what others have said - are their replacement bars for vegetarians that have a solid protein count? I know premier protein drink has 30 grams and its not that bad
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    if you do eat eggs and dairy adding some of those options help - Otherwise beans, tofu, what others have said - are their replacement bars for vegetarians that have a solid protein count? I know premier protein drink has 30 grams and its not that bad

Most protein bars are suitable for lacto-ovo vegetarians, so it wouldn't be a problem for someone with that lifestyle to find a bar with a lot of protein. Even for vegans, I've seen bars with as many as 20 grams of protein per serving.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    You can make a simple protein smoothie by blending silken tofu, cocoa powder, milk, sweetener. Vanilla extract is a good addition, too. It's like a tasty treat but you're getting a heap of protein with it.
  • bunnyaa
    bunnyaa Posts: 18 Member
    What works for me is egg whites, greek yogurt, beans and lentils