Anyone NOT on keto?

Replies

• ruffneckred
    ruffneckred Posts: 69 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    This topic has on my mind quite a bit. I am currently doing the keto lifestyle since about May 10th. I was pretty overweight, tired, and miserable. My internet wandering had clued me in to diabetes, so I checked my glucose and decided to change something. Now I dislike doctors and pills, and in my analytical mind I knew step A was lose weight. I had lost weight before using MFP, but found the logging to be annoying to my perfectionist flaw. So I started by elimating bread, based on some people's antedotes about gluten, celiac, etc. It was hard as I love bread. So I evolved to a keto lifestyle, and since I love meat, cheese, and eggs, so far so good. One thing I didn't like is the bombardment of "keto haters"... Maybe it is a component of the internet warrior persona that is becoming so prevalent, but I wondered why... Do all diet have this detracting faction, I don't really know as I had never done a "diet" other than eat less. So I watched and read, and read and watched, so now I have an opinion. It is mine, feel free to throw it away, but I would like to share.

Weight management is strictly calorie consumed vs calorie burned. ALL diets, keto, atkins, carnivore, american standard, or even snickers and cocaine. They will all result in change in weight based on which side of the equation is higher. With that said, it comes down to how you feel and how it effects your body.

Back to subject, keto is likely a big change to your body. People tend to jump in with both feet. It is definitely not a try for 3 days and judge, if you want an honest evaluation. Some say 3 weeks, or a month. I think I can look back at my reality and I went lower carb, not strict keto for the first month, even now I am seldom under the 20 carb number. I am usually under 50, never over 100. Maybe that is why I was successful.

I would suggest if aspects of keto appeal to you, first don't try and lose weight, try being even on the calorie equation. I suspect people are asking too much of themselves to do both task (diet change & calorie deficit).

One aspect that I subscribe too, is sugar addiction. I think I was addicted, but not really to traditional "sweets", but to the more insidious carbs. Now I don't feel as hungry, and in my opinion this addiction is why you hear "the weight came back". Compare it to a drug addiction, common knowledge is to stay off drugs, you need to abstain entirely, With that said, I have battled addiction and won, my success was based on this single rule... Not today... Just don't drink today,=alcohol was my drug of choice, and if I failed that day, the sun rose the next day and I started over, pushed regret aside or used it to strengthen my resolve.

Is keto for everyone, is keto for you. Only you know that, some had a underlying, possibly undiagnosed condition that makes keto a bad choice. You are kind of experimented with you body;. Have a great day.

There really isn't "keto-hate" here, there is push back to keto-evangelists who assume that because keto worked for them, it will work for everyone and is the best diet.

One of the many aspects of this is the idea you mention - that if keto didn't work for you, you either didn't try it for long enough or didn't do it right. Why can't it just not work for everyone? Just like your old eating style didn't work for you, why can't keto just not be the right fit for someone else? Why does there have to be a medical condition causing keto not to work?

Keto has helped you lose weight and get control of your diet - that's awesome! No one here is saying it's not. All we are saying is it didn't work for us, and we are totally cool with that because we found the way that works for us. We don't need to experiment anymore with keto.

As I stated, diabetes avoidance is my primary driver. I am not set in stone in this path, I do crave bread, carbs etc. I feel that is a mental thing as I eat in response to stress. again, just my opinion. I have notice a change in appetite as in I don't get really hungry and seem to be full with less food and respond to that by stopping eating, that didn't happen, I ate pizza until pizza was gone. Have a great day, do what works for you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I have notice a change in appetite as in I don't get really hungry and seem to be full with less food

My wife always has that as a result of going low carb. Not as low as keto but low carb none the less. I can see how that can make eating less a lot easier...
  • ruffneckred
    Say no to keto. Friends don't let friends eat keto. I mean, most of us know by now that there are healthy fats and that it's good for us to eat them, but I hardly think we should "eat ALL the fats." Seriously, how is a super high fat diet suddenly healthy? Or is it all just done in the name of weight loss? I love carbs. Your body and your brain love carbs. We all love carbs.

it is my opinion, that your body "uses" whatever you put in it, I am not an expert but seems like there is a plethora of info about this. My position revolves around this statement. IN MY CASE, excess sugar, mainly from carbs has damaged my body's insulin system. Low fat eating style will give my body relief from that situation. Is it long term? Is it a cure? I don't know. Am I experiment with my life, which could have tragic consequences, yes. I am worried about chloresteral, heart disease, etc?

In the maybe TMI, I have a genetic blood disorder regarding clotting (Leiben V), I was 300 lbs, muscularly atrophied to "terrible", had no energy, stamina, or drive. That said, many diets would likely have taken me to this point of 225, and better in other catergories listed. Time will tell, and hopefully I will have time to find out.

Have a great day.
  • ruffneckred
    "clip" efits. Why would anyone want to waste a complete year on a WOE that is so restrictive "clip"

This is a big issue in many ways, if you want results now, this WOE may not work for you. I don't think it is restrictive as people make out. I make pizza, and it is great, better each time. I suspect that 1. I am getting better at making it. 2. My memory of "normal" pizza is fading. I am happier each day with the cooking and eating choices I am finding. Maybe my lifestyle doesn't include dining out or fast food and this is reflected in my happiness.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I have notice a change in appetite as in I don't get really hungry and seem to be full with less food

My wife always has that as a result of going low carb. Not as low as keto but low carb none the less. I can see how that can make eating less a lot easier...

I eat low carb and experience this. About 100 to 150 grams per day usually. Definitely controllable hunger for me.
  • ruffneckred
    true enough but most of the carbs in a pizza are crust, which I somehow evolved to thin crusts. I use fathead pizza dough which is easily googeable (lol, made up word). I do miss toast. I could likely have normal pizza but I suspect I would have just have one slice, the pizza I make I generally limit to 10 ozs and it is wierd that I am full at that point even though that is only 1/4 - 1/3 of the pizza. I actually get a bit tired of the pizza as I then have it for 3 or 4 days in a row. I have a mental disorder that prevents me from throwing out fool, that is a joke, no offense to any mental health warriors.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I guess what im look for are people who are have success with weightloss by just counting calories. ☺

There's no one like that on here!

Just kidding.

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    edited October 2018
    No keto here. It's ok for some people, but there are potential health risks. Straight calorie cutback with a balanced diet is always the safest way.

I will add it is good for treating certain health issues. This one probably is best left for your doctor to decide.
  • shellyolander
    shellyolander Posts: 1 Member
    I'm all about just eating real food, not being a glutton, and logging what i eat so if i go crazy it's in black and white and i can't avoid it!
  • ruffneckred
    No keto here. It's ok for some people, but there are potential health risks. Straight calorie cutback with a balanced diet is always the safest way.

I will add it is good for treating certain health issues. This one probably is best left for your doctor to decide.

care to outline the health risks, I want to research more.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    I'm not on it - I have done well counting calories, and just using my head (and MFP). My failures have been when i haven't eaten sensibly and/or worked out and my success comes when I do. Several years ago my brother and i did this and he lost something like 70 lbs in about 3-4 months and I, 30. And it was seriously just gym and counting. And still letting ourselves enjoy a weekend day, without going crazy.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    When I make pizza at home I've been using this stuff called Brooklyn Bred. It is thin and very do-able if you are low-carb (not not keto). I really like how it crisps up. I've used the fathead dough to make crackers before--pretty good!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    this thread has made me so happy. I have a friend who has done so well on keto and raves about it but I love my carbs so much. I've been doing intermittent fasting while still keeping my carbs (just lowering the amount to 50g daily) and I have lost 4 lbs already. I'm loving it - and I'm happy - and isn't that all that matters? Do what works for you!

if you are 50g net(after fiber is subtracted) or less(of carbs) then technically you are doing keto.and as for weight loss lowering your carbs will results in water and glycogen stores being depleted in the beginning. but its what happens as time goes on that matters
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Say no to keto. Friends don't let friends eat keto. I mean, most of us know by now that there are healthy fats and that it's good for us to eat them, but I hardly think we should "eat ALL the fats." Seriously, how is a super high fat diet suddenly healthy? Or is it all just done in the name of weight loss? I love carbs. Your body and your brain love carbs. We all love carbs.

) I don't tell my friends what and how to eat. Keto or not is their choice.
    2) No, not everybody "loves" carbs. Please don't generalize.

I don't do Keto because I can't handle large amount of fats (don't care much for cold cuts or bacon either) and limited protein, because I don't want to cook two different meals for my husband and I, and because I don't need to lose weight. I have been in maintenance for close to 9 years. However, I do eat moderate amount of carbs (about 100 gr net and sometimes less than that) because I feel better, less bloated and more energized with lower amount of carbs, higher protein and moderate fat intake. I wish I had put more attention to my macros ratio when I was in loosing mode instead of concentrating only in total calories.
This discussion has been closed.