Trying to lose 20lbs

xxzenabxx
xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
I’m 5’ 4” and 150lbs. Trying to lose 20lbs and I have PCOS. Currently eating 1600-1700 calories and exercising 5-6 times a week. What about you?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    PCOS tends to improve on a lower carb diet . There are a lot of other sites with corroborating experiences but it's best to start with actual peer reviewed jornal studies on proven legit Google scholar sites. Good luck.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Do you have insulin resistance? Do you find it makes weight loss more difficult for you? I also have PCOS, but I do not have IR (I do have polycystic ovaries, hormone imbalances and other symptoms which come and go) I remember reading how strength training helps, and for some going lower carb. I lift but I am not low carb at all, but my hormones seem to be under control for now, likely due to postpartum hormones from my last baby.

I am just working on the last few vanity lbs (I've lost about 10lbs since May) I also workout 6x per week, 5 days lifting plus cardio in between.

• glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    Hi there!! :) welcome and I wish you success and happiness along your journey. I am 5’7” and 150 lbs. I am looking to go down to 140-145 but purely by exchange to muscle. I have a lot of extra fluff in my lower body that drives me nuts, lol! I am up against my low metabolism from hashimoto’s but recently started treatment :).

I do about 1600-1700 cals per day like you; however, I only work out about 2-3 days per week. I really admire your commitment to exercise!

Would love to motivate each other through this process/journey :).
  • xxzenabxx
    canadjineh wrote: »
    PCOS tends to improve on a lower carb diet . There are a lot of other sites with corroborating experiences but it's best to start with actual peer reviewed jornal studies on proven legit Google scholar sites. Good luck.

Yes I’m trying to follow a low carb diet (100g of carbs or less) but just keep eating chocolates. I just need to buckle down and get on with it.
  • xxzenabxx
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Do you have insulin resistance? Do you find it makes weight loss more difficult for you? I also have PCOS, but I do not have IR (I do have polycystic ovaries, hormone imbalances and other symptoms which come and go) I remember reading how strength training helps, and for some going lower carb. I lift but I am not low carb at all, but my hormones seem to be under control for now, likely due to postpartum hormones from my last baby.

I am just working on the last few vanity lbs (I've lost about 10lbs since May) I also workout 6x per week, 5 days lifting plus cardio in between.

I think I’m abit insulin resistant because almost everyone in my family is fat and diabetic by their 40s. Literally most of my cousins are over weight or obese (I’m 25) and I also have hirsutism which has been linked to high insulin levels and carbs just make me sleepy/lethargic. I gained weight last year eating lots of carbs and weight lifting despite counting my calories. From September to December in 2017 I gained 3 kg/6.6 lbs! Then I had to work hard to lose that this year plus some more. Have to agree that the weight lifting does help a lot! I burn more fat doing weights than cardio. Hope your progress is going well and thank you for the tips!
  • xxzenabxx
    Hi there!! :) welcome and I wish you success and happiness along your journey. I am 5’7” and 150 lbs. I am looking to go down to 140-145 but purely by exchange to muscle. I have a lot of extra fluff in my lower body that drives me nuts, lol! I am up against my low metabolism from hashimoto’s but recently started treatment :).

I do about 1600-1700 cals per day like you; however, I only work out about 2-3 days per week. I really admire your commitment to exercise!

Would love to motivate each other through this process/journey :).

Haha thank you for the admiration but it took me ages to get to this much exercise. I think with PCOS you need to exercise almost every day. I’m okay with that now because I love the pump it gives me and I get more energetic after exercise. Auw Hashimotos must be hard to cope with but we will push through this together.
  • KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I’m 5’ 4” and 150lbs. Trying to lose 20lbs and I have PCOS. Currently eating 1600-1700 calories and exercising 5-6 times a week. What about you?

I'm 5"4 and trying to loose the same as my ultimate goal but I will settle for 5kg drop. I don't have PCOS but have premature menopause sadly. I'm on hormone treatments for it. I'm new to this group and looking forward to the motivation and support. It's not easy those last few kg! I should have exercised today (it helps my symptoms) but I'm way to exhausted.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

I'm 5"4 and trying to loose the same as my ultimate goal but I will settle for 5kg drop. I don't have PCOS but have premature menopause sadly. I'm on hormone treatments for it. I'm new to this group and looking forward to the motivation and support. It's not easy those last few kg! I should have exercised today (it helps my symptoms) but I'm way to exhausted.

Maybe try some yoga?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Right there with you - I'm looking to lose 17-24 pounds (not exactly sure due to current muscle mass). No health issues other than old injuries that limit what I can do to some extent.

Need to increase my exercise again - been increasing my steps lately, but have been lazy about hitting the gym the past couple months, and this last race weekend I could tell as my pace started to increase and my endurance took a hike!

I'm on a pretty slow loss rate, which can definitely suck sometimes, but I know it will be a lot easier as I get closer to maintenance, too since I'll be familiar with my trends and what it takes to stay where I'm at or lose a bit.
  • lesockie
    lesockie Posts: 80 Member
    I'm looking to lose 20+ pounds, too! Friends and accountability! Feel free to add me.
  • lauraalee1967
    lauraalee1967 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm looking to lose 20 pounds I gained between April and today. I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for a week, nothing :( I've been to the gym a few times an hour to an hour and a half of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. I am 51 so don't know if my weight gain is a result of hormones or due to getting off anxiety medication but I'm hoping to see results soon. It's discouraging feel like I blinked and my weight had ballooned!
  • flooroma
    flooroma Posts: 3 Member
    I'm looking to lose 20 pounds I gained between April and today. I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for a week, nothing :( I've been to the gym a few times an hour to an hour and a half of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. I am 51 so don't know if my weight gain is a result of hormones or due to getting off anxiety medication but I'm hoping to see results soon. It's discouraging feel like I blinked and my weight had ballooned!

Hang in there I feel the same way. Iam 55 years and the weight is not coming off like it use to.
    Add me if you want a friend.