Mind games

I’m enjoying the support this community gives me. Quite comforting!

Does anyone else find that your mind plays tricks on you? The scales will say you’ve lost weight but looking in the mirror, you’re convinced you are putting on again.

Another watch out is good mood vs not so good. Looking in the mirror when you’re in a good mood “you’re doing so well” when you’re not as upbeat “I think I’m putting on weight”

So funny!

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Yep - that happens! Some days I feel reasonable trim and some days I still feel 4 stone overweight. :D
  • KayakerJoe
    KayakerJoe Posts: 80 Member
    So annoying.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Yes. It gets better in time. Just takes the mind a while to catch up.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    So true you nailed this one perfectly!
  • KayakerJoe
    It really is warped. Apparently the Rock suffers with it too. Many body builders look in the mirror and think they are not ripped when they actually are.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Not quite what you are talking about, but this kinda sums up how I feel at times.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697701/i-still-have-chronic-obesity-even-a-year-into-maintenance/p1

I'm ~210 but still think I'm 330+ at times.
  • lollitakennedy
    lollitakennedy Posts: 33 Member
    Hi I especially feel heavy when I look in the mirror at the gym while doing exercises. I dont feel that way when I look in my mirrors at home. I cant tell which is true. I gained my 30lbs back since 2013. I am back and working on it again. I have this beautiful winter coat that I bought 30lbs lighter. I find having that motivation piece of clothing hanging in view all day helps me stay on track. Plus counting my food is a big help.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    I need to hear it from other people because I don't see it when I look in the mirror (though i'm starting to). What hit was the other week I was sitting in the local bar and the owner looked at me and said, "You've lost a lot of weight." Getting a compliment out of him is almost as hard as a free drink! LOL
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I'm at 167 down from 205 and it's a mixed bag--either I'm shocked at how much better I look, or I don't see a difference and I still feel like that same fat sack of crap that I was.
    ...but yesterday I saw a friend that I haven't seen since before I lost weight, and he said he didn't recognize me at first lol. So maybe I just need to accept my progress and feel good about myself for a change.

Yes, yes you do! That's nearly 40 lbs and is a great loss 😁😁
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I am a woman so there are actual big differences in how I look and the fit of my clothing from one week to the next, even when the scale doesn't show much of a difference. The week after my period I call Skinny Week because I am at my trimmest.
  • KayakerJoe
    So interesting!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!