WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• mcbcec
    mcbcec Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks Karen!
    -Michele

mcbcec Viet Nam! Exciting! I would like to visit Viet Nam. Can't wait to see your photos & hear about your adventure!

• mcbcec
    mcbcec Posts: 12 Member
    First week, lost between 3-4 depending. Hovering at a clear 3 lb weight loss. That actually makes it easier to get up the stairs. Walked 4 days in that week and cleaned house a bit, but vaccinations come with a great deal of unpredictable bouts of fatigue. It's weird. Work tomorrow which is good. I substitute teach, so I'm walking around large classrooms and hallways all day. Tossed old files, and found evidence that I was nearly this heavy at the end of my unhappy first marriage and that was 20-25 years ago...so it's not so much about aging, and more about attitudes, complacency and emotions. Interesting revelation. I did my last 10K at 195 lbs. in 1993 or so. I have no excuses now.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Breathing a huge sigh of relief for Heather!

Now off to clean my bathroom. Fun times!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited October 2018
    Tracey those are some wryly cute reindeer! You have the gift! Brava to you for rising above your personal pain and breaking the chain of jealousy/possessiveness. What a gift you've given your girls, even though they'll never know. "Hot and sunny Edmonton" made me laugh out loud.
    pip that pup is in his (water) element!
    Michele Ditto KJ's wishes for you. Know it's old-fashioned of me, but glad it didn't happen til after the wedding. That way the child will never feel that his/her arrival forced marriage on Denise and Pete. Hope you can find the joy in this news and look forward to your grandbaby's arrival. Cleaning mold off siding under gutters, haven't done it yet, but would use a big fat sponge and commercial mildew cleaner since our siding is hardiplank: https://exovations.com/blog/index.php/how-to-clean-fiber-cement-siding/
    If yours is vinyl you could try this home made mixture: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-clean-vinyl-siding/
    Allie strong boundary from your SIL sounds needful. Can you set such directly with her? A text advising her that you will no longer accept her rudeness nor phone calls? Hope the MD news is good. Fingers Xd for the rec job, you'd be marvelous!
    Vickie love the "only steps in our house..." quote. How wise you are!
    Lisa Office done? Check! Good on you for listening to your body and taking a break after ONLY seven hours of sweat! hahahaha. You are a moving MACHINE.
    Felicia England? I am soooo jealous! Thanks for sharing the pics and welcome back. Heather often makes me question my native tongue ;)
    Rebecca OMG the cute little porcupine. Gave me a BIG smile. Then your youngest's suprise visit plan made the grin even bigger! Hooray!!!
    Jazzypdx "Be kind, make better choices and stay present." That's it in a nutshell. Well said!
    Brava, lacatgal, brava! Baby steps, and what you do every day...
    Katla please share (non-disclosing) pics of the hidden gem private park. Enjoy!
    Heather Eeeeee! What a happy day-after-birthday gift for your DH :) Calls for another bottle of bubbly. Jumping up and down, squealing, clapping hands and smiling for you both! (and for Bea, Edie and Max :> ) All without you're committing any murder/mayhem as I would have done long ago... EEEEEE!

Welcome back Maggiepetit! Let us know what you want to be called and your approximate location.

Yesterday was the first day this month I didn't make my "one more step than average" goal. Walking/shopping just wasn't enough. Forgot the firehouse meeting for the second time. Don't know if they'll put up with that for long. Scribbling on my calendar not working, need to come up with a better reminder system. Phone calendar alerts might... if I didn't have phone on vibe all the time... Guess I'll just have to check phone every morning. Do NOT like this feeling that my everyday memory is fading... :confounded:
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 13/17, rx/vits 11/17, meditate 9/17, walk one more step 16/17, knee exercises 9/17, core 3/8, walk Tumble 1/8 times, SWSY 0/4, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 12/17.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    Heather!! Hooray! I hope you actual transfer of your goods goes well.
    Rebecca: What a fantastic surprise. I know your heart was aching at the thought of not seeing him before he goes to Japan.
    Barbara: I was really cocky thinking of visiting England because most of the television I watch is British programming. Lol But it is so much different in real life when people are talking quickly and there are so many diverse accents. I'm not complaining. I loved it. But I felt bad that almost anytime someone said something to me, I had to say, "Excuse me? I didn't quite hear what you said." i.e. "I didn't understand but about half of the words you used!" But I managed. The funny thing is after coming back and watching my shows again, I can no longer understand them. I really am getting old.

We added a new Brit show to our watching schedule. Qi. We are big Stephen Fry fans, and it is just quirky enough to satisfy both of us. We watched three episodes last night! My husband is hooked.
    Katla: Where is this great park? We are always looking for somewhere fun to camp.
    Michelle: Congrats on the upcoming grandbaby. I second (third, fourth) the advise you've already been given. I've decided that this living thing isn't about me anymore -- it's about my kids and my step-grandbabies -- they are the future. My petty little hurts don't matter that much, in the grand scheme, so I've tried to decide not to let their small slights, real or imagined, bother me too much. It doesn't always work, but I have learned to hold my tongue, smile, and be kind. Most of the time!

I'm still struggling quite a bit since my sister died. Yep. I know. It's been nearly a year. I wish I would just get over it, but that doesn't seem to be in the future. I have just my mom left (two nieces that I'm not particularly close to or really that fond of), and I've begun to panic a little at the thought of losing her -- she just turned 78 in July. We have had some rough patches from time to time, but we managed to come out the other side relatively unscathed.

So, I'm up 10 pounds since last November. :disappointed: I'm trying to be kind to myself because that actually comes out to just about an extra 150 calories a day -- for 300 days -- and I know what those calories are, but still. I need to be kind to myself. I know that. But I also need to turn myself back around.

Love to all and welcome to the new women.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Tracey those are some wryly cute reindeer! You have the gift! Brava to you for rising above your personal pain and breaking the chain of jealousy/possessiveness. What a gift you've given your girls, even though they'll never know. "Hot and sunny Edmonton" made me laugh out loud.
    pip that pup is in his (water) element!
    Do NOT like this feeling that my everyday memory is fading... :confounded:

Thank you. Hubby burned some really cute ones last night I can't wait to paint. My girls know that I struggled for years with my Dad's jealousy. He did the same to them the couple of times they went home as well. They appreciate and acknowledge when I am willing to accommodate their in-laws.

With all of the Alzheimer's and Dementia in my family I worry every time I forget something. It is frightening for sure.

Tracey
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Just lost my post grrh

HEATHER great news about your move, you'll be so happy there

Has anyone been watching THE TRUTH ABOUT CANCER THE GLOBAL QUEST really enlightening and scary

Enjoying pics of pets and babies

Been down for a bit eating rubbish not exercising hence lbs on but back on track so lbs moving off again

Kate UK <3
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2018
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Do NOT like this feeling that my everyday memory is fading.. :confounded:

Gosh, I can’t help or offer any good advice- but I totally empathize as I feel that way too. Reminders on my phone help me some, but this past few years I find myself losing words. Like yesterday I lost “key”. I described it (“the metal stick like object you put in the door to unlock”) but couldn’t get the work “key” no matter how hard I thought. Things like that have happened to me all my life, but they are happening so often now. :(

Rye

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    edited October 2018
    Heather Wonderful news!

AlliePrayers for good news from Doctor!. Hope job situation works out for you, too.

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,127 Member
    I have never been good at remembering names of things, but I'm no worse now than I've ever been. Someone forgot to wire that bit of my brain. It is a family joke. Dinner napkins are called "handy wipey things" by all my family and there are other equally stupid forgettings. I actually think my memory has improved since I started exercising /running like a demon. :o I went out for a run this afternoon. o:)
    I have an amazing spatial/visual memory, but NAMES - forgedaboudid!

Someone coming in a minute to pick up a china cabinet. DH 's grandma's :'( I don't like it and there's no where to put it. He is a bit sad.
    My son wants our comfy chair for Max's room. :) The sofa, we will see if anyone wants it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    BARBARA & RYE: I too am struggling with so many times that I cannot think of a name! I think my husband suffers from the same problem. It really upsets me when I can see a person's face in my mind but can't think of their name.

Emotional eating today has gotten the best of me! I was very upset over the fact that I changed from one internet/tv provider and got my first bill. What a shock. It was $50 more than the person who signed me up for it quoted. So, I contacted the old provider and will get their service back next week. I will have to pay the company I changed last week a fee for installation and activation plus a weeks worth of service. My lack of impulse control got me into this mess! :'(:s:#

Carol in GA
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Yep my mind in a whirl! This afternoon making banana bread. Have any of you bought spoiled bananas at the store? Not spoiled but just more ripe and not eating bananas? First time doing that! I looked at them going...oh banana bread bananas! Haha! I just thought that was odd of me.

I might have him decorate the Christmas tree! Then go with brother and buy silly presents to wrap up! I'm also going to make some Christmas treats! For certain fudge and chocolate chip cookies.

Rebecca💗
  • Snowflake1968
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    BARBARA & RYE: I too am struggling with so many times that I cannot think of a name! I think my husband suffers from the same problem. It really upsets me when I can see a person's face in my mind but can't think of their name.

Emotional eating today has gotten the best of me! I was very upset over the fact that I changed from one internet/tv provider and got my first bill. What a shock. It was $50 more than the person who signed me up for it quoted. So, I contacted the old provider and will get their service back next week. I will have to pay the company I changed last week a fee for installation and activation plus a weeks worth of service. My lack of impulse control got me into this mess! :'(:s:#

Carol in GA

If you were quoted a rate shouldn't that company honor it? I have to make calls today to see if we can get a deal for signing another contract for our internet and cable. Our contract was up a couple days ago.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    awww Rebecca isn't that so exciting I am so happy for you :D
    Heather again many wonderful wishes for a smooth and being near the grandkids...
    well had to wait an hour for the dr, from my appointment time, kinda ticked me off, but oh well, she told me what I already knew, that I have something called MGUS ,It could be a precurser to Multiple Myeloma down the road, but not as of right now.. so I have 3 pages worth of blood work to get done in feb before my physical...
    and she wants me to get an HIV test, she knows that Tom was messing around on me so she said better to be safe than sorry.... old feeling well up and get me angry that I would have to do this.. but this to shall pass.going to rest a bit and then pack for my week at Toms house...
    I am sure both he and Elena are giddy with excitement at the prospect of finally going away together...
    its a long drive down to Florida ,and I have done it many many times.. so good luck to them both....
  • Snowflake1968
    Yep my mind in a whirl! This afternoon making banana bread. Have any of you bought spoiled bananas at the store? Not spoiled but just more ripe and not eating bananas? First time doing that! I looked at them going...oh banana bread bananas! Haha! I just thought that was odd of me.

I might have him decorate the Christmas tree! Then go with brother and buy silly presents to wrap up! I'm also going to make some Christmas treats! For certain fudge and chocolate chip cookies.

Rebecca💗

I think I missed something, do you have company that won't be there for Christmas? I haven't bought bananas at the store like that because I usually have a freezer full of them waiting to be made, but what a great idea!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    Heather--That is Great news. So happy for you.

Allie--Pray today is better. Yesterday was a crazy day at work and just wanted to go home and eat. Hope the job at the nursing home works out. I agree you need to stand up for yourself and make sure they understand what you want up front. Praying for good news at the doctor.

Rebecca--What a great surprize. Enjoy your visit.

Michele--I agree that it means a lot she wants you there for 2 weeks after the baby is born. I would take every chance you can to spend time with them and enjoy what you can do.

Felicia--Grief is different for everyone. Since I lost my mom, son and sister each day is different. Some bad, some good. Don't be to hard on yourself.

DH is off today so taking our friend with cancer out to ride motorcycles this afternoon. Glad for this beautiful Fall weather. Also he is out trading our van off and getting a prvis. Decided with all the road trips we need something better on gas.

Blessings Vicki GI NE <3