WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    and she wants me to get an HIV test, she knows that Tom was messing around on me so she said better to be safe than sorry.... old feeling well up and get me angry that I would have to do this.. but this to shall pass.going to rest

Testing for STDs is humiliating. I did the same thing after my exhusband and I separated because he was cheating with multiple women. :disappointed:

Hang in there.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Hoping this works- Mocha Latte in full play action if it works
    pitggov0dcxp.gif
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    Rye - Mocha Latte is adorable. So glad you and your DH could take her and you got to see your sis for a little while. I'm sure she's glad that kitty got a good home. I get a big smile every time I hear you drove somewhere - no more walking in the dark for you, girlfriend. Oh, that video of Mocha Latte playing is so cute!!

Rebecca - I am so happy you'll get to see your son before he head to Japan!! Thrilled in fact! :D

Felicia
    - welcome back! Love the pix of your latest trip, I always enjoy hearing about your adventures in the US and abroad. It's funny, I can't understand a lot of the diverse accents when folks are theoretically speaking English, lol. Even Canadians - plus they throw in their own local words. I am a big fan of closed captioning. What is the new Stephen Fry show you are watching? I'm running out of shows to watch.

You and Unicorn Wendy from NZ went missing about the same time. B) Hopefully she's happy and healthy and in the midst of queen bees and prepping for the new grand baby! <3

Michele
    - I forgot to tell you congrats on the good news! It will be good to have them at your house right after the little one is born. Did you say they were looking to move? I can't believe summer is over and you are buttoning up the pool. Seems like only a few weeks ago you were excited about getting it open. Whoosh....there went summer.

Tracey
    - regarding dementia in the family, have you had your Vitamin D and B12 checked lately? Sometimes those deficiencies can set us up for dementia. I've noticed my DH seems to be losing parts of his memory - conversations we had recently, something really eventful that happened in our lives. He used to get ticked if I'd ask "did you take your pills?" "Yes, quit bugging me!" but now he says yes or no and if no, takes them. I am NOT complaining, lol. I try to make myself remember things - events, people I used to work with, etc. I know if I'm tired it seems a lot harder to access that information.

I'm not sure if some of this fading memory means we are "losing it" or if I've just gotten lazy with the internet - why remember information when we can look it up with a couple keystrokes?

Remember some of us watched the free "Broken Brain" series earlier this year? It's running again, here's a link:https://brokenbrain.com/trailer/?id=1002

Kate - I watched "The Truth About Cancer" several years ago, I think it's been updated but haven't watched that one. Sure is an eye opener.

I too have been into the junk food and in a downward spiral I don't like. My left shoulder is sore, I think I strained it in the garden a week ago lugging a gigantic squash. So I hit the sweet and salty snacks. YUK! Now I feel sore all over - probably a reaction to all the sugar in my system! Back on the no added sugar wagon and tossed the rest of the Fritos into the garbage. If I don't feel better, especially that left shoulder, I'll have the doc check this out next week when I'm in for my shots.

OK ladies, have a great afternoon!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    REBECCA: So excited for your son's visit! Planning an early Christmas is just the right thing to do. He will love it and all of you will cherish the memory.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Rebecca - Sooooooooooooo excited for you! <3

Cabinet gone and they are coming back tomorrow for the sofa. They have a big van. :D They also wanted the chair, but my son wants it. It is a nice chair, but no room for it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Yep my mind in a whirl! This afternoon making banana bread. Have any of you bought spoiled bananas at the store? Not spoiled but just more ripe and not eating bananas? First time doing that! I looked at them going...oh banana bread bananas! Haha! I just thought that was odd of me.

I might have him decorate the Christmas tree! Then go with brother and buy silly presents to wrap up! I'm also going to make some Christmas treats! For certain fudge and chocolate chip cookies.

Rebecca💗

I think I missed something, do you have company that won't be there for Christmas? I haven't bought bananas at the store like that because I usually have a freezer full of them waiting to be made, but what a great idea!

Well I looked back and see that you and I had posted close to the same time this morning so your post was up with things I had already read! I am so incredibly happy for you! Isn't life wonderful!
  • Snowflake1968
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Tracey [/b]- regarding dementia in the family, have you had your Vitamin D and B12 checked lately? Sometimes those deficiencies can set us up for dementia. I've noticed my DH seems to be losing parts of his memory - conversations we had recently, something really eventful that happened in our lives. He used to get ticked if I'd ask "did you take your pills?" "Yes, quit bugging me!" but now he says yes or no and if no, takes them. I am NOT complaining, lol. I try to make myself remember things - events, people I used to work with, etc. I know if I'm tired it seems a lot harder to access that information.

I'm not sure if some of this fading memory means we are "losing it" or if I've just gotten lazy with the internet - why remember information when we can look it up with a couple keystrokes?

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

Vitamin D is no longer covered under Alberta Health Care to be tested for as of last year according to my doctor. The province ran tests as a routine check for 10 years and found that everyone needed to have around 3000 units per day to get the proper level in their blood due to the Northern climate we live in. She said that even if we were outside everyday every sunny day in the year there would not be enough sunlight to get our Vitamin D naturally. My doctor told me to just take that daily. I admit though that I haven't bought any yet. I didn't realize it affected memory though, so I will get on that!

Tracey
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Yep my mind in a whirl! This afternoon making banana bread. Have any of you bought spoiled bananas at the store? Not spoiled but just more ripe and not eating bananas? First time doing that! I looked at them going...oh banana bread bananas! Haha! I just thought that was odd of me.

I might have him decorate the Christmas tree! Then go with brother and buy silly presents to wrap up! I'm also going to make some Christmas treats! For certain fudge and chocolate chip cookies.

Rebecca💗

I think I missed something, do you have company that won't be there for Christmas? I haven't bought bananas at the store like that because I usually have a freezer full of them waiting to be made, but what a great idea!

My middle son and wife don't come up, because its 4/5 hours and they have two dogs they can't leave. We have done the staying with them business last Christmas. It was awful, dog hair everywhere! They are blissfully unaware of it. Our owner does not allow pets so they can not stay here. They aren't willing to house the dogs at a kennel either. What we are trying to do is organize a middle town to meet at in the next two weeks. My youngest son, the Navy one, will not be able to come home from Japan during Christmas tine, so we'll have it early👍!

Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Thanks ladies, I am beyond the moon! Thanks for all your well wishes!
    So today, I am making some berry muffins, and the banana bread mini loaves. Was waiting until eldest son awoke. Its 2:35 pm so I can make noise in the kitchen, (Its below his bedroom).
    Hugs everyone!
    Rebecca💗
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    awww Rebecca isn't that so exciting I am so happy for you :D
    Heather again many wonderful wishes for a smooth and being near the grandkids...
    well had to wait an hour for the dr, from my appointment time, kinda ticked me off, but oh well, she told me what I already knew, that I have something called MGUS ,It could be a precurser to Multiple Myeloma down the road, but not as of right now.. so I have 3 pages worth of blood work to get done in feb before my physical...
    and she wants me to get an HIV test, she knows that Tom was messing around on me so she said better to be safe than sorry.... old feeling well up and get me angry that I would have to do this.. but this to shall pass.going to rest a bit and then pack for my week at Toms house...
    I am sure both he and Elena are giddy with excitement at the prospect of finally going away together...
    its a long drive down to Florida ,and I have done it many many times.. so good luck to them both....

Maybe get tested for Hep C, too. I am imagining you have been immunized against Hep B?

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Karen - Hep C checked negative,thank goodness..will take it a day at a time...
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    :)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Lanette good for you on tossing the salty, sugary junk food out—- hope the shoulder heals quickly.

DH and I had a fun time at the gym after work this evening. Together we average 3-4 “gym dates” per week.

NYKAREN
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    edited October 2018
    [/quote]

Vitamin D is no longer covered under Alberta Health Care to be tested for as of last year according to my doctor. The province ran tests as a routine check for 10 years and found that everyone needed to have around 3000 units per day to get the proper level in their blood due to the Northern climate we live in. She said that even if we were outside everyday every sunny day in the year there would not be enough sunlight to get our Vitamin D naturally. My doctor told me to just take that daily. I admit though that I haven't bought any yet. I didn't realize it affected memory though, so I will get on that!

Tracey
    [/quote]

Tracey - not only has it been found to help guard against dementia/Alzheimers, it's a potent cancer fighter. I take a total of around 50,000 IU of D3 per week and was able to get my levels up to 70 ng - up from 40 a couple years ago. And my doc is just fine with those taking that dose. Some studies say if you are below 50 ng, you're at risk, between 60 and 80 is optimal especially for cancer per Dr. Mercola.

What a shame Alberta Health Care no longer tests for it - because they know there's a deficiency. Wow. Maybe they hope folks will take a lot of cod liver oil? EEuuww, lol. I would if I had to tho. Luckily it's still a fairly inexpensive supplement.

Good luck! I've also read to make sure you get the D3, not the D2.

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • Snowflake1968
    lhscapil wrote: »

Tracey
    [/quote]

Tracey - not only has it been found to help guard against dementia/Alzheimers, it's a potent cancer fighter. I take a total of around 50,000 IU of D3 per week and was able to get my levels up to 70 ng - up from 40 a couple years ago. And my doc is just fine with those taking that dose. Some studies say if you are below 50 ng, you're at risk, between 60 and 80 is optimal especially for cancer per Dr. Mercola.

What a shame Alberta Health Care no longer tests for it - because they know there's a deficiency. Wow. Maybe they hope folks will take a lot of cod liver oil? EEuuww, lol. I would if I had to tho. Luckily it's still a fairly inexpensive supplement.

Good luck! I've also read to make sure you get the D3, not the D2.

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State[/quote]

Thanks for that information! I will definitely get some.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) My father grew up in West Texas but left when he was 19 years old. I remember my mother saying that when she went to Texas to visit his family, she could barely understand a word they were saying. It was English that sounded so different from how she talked in the Northeast.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    We are settling in at the resort in Arizona! Lots to do.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did Jari Love’s Extremely Ripped 1000 DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Rebounder with David DVD

Volunteered at the Green Room then went to Food Lion. I needed chicken thighs and I don’t like the ones at WalMart. Home and piddling around. Newcomer bowling tonight

Allie – hoping they can meet everything you require and so you get the job

Heather – Woo Hoo!!!! Doing a happy dance for you. All good things are worth waiting for, and you sure did your share of waiting. Happy Birthday to John, too.

Maggie – welcome. As you can see from some of the past posts, we are a very supportive group and we talk about just about anything that affects us because that also affects how we eat

Rye – I can’t get enough of ML

Remembering names: Usually I can see the person’s face but can’t put a name to it…..that is, until later! Frustrating.

Lynette – They won’t be at my house, Denise wants me to stay up there. By then they should have one of the townhouses they were looking at so there’ll be room for me.

Went to Newcomer bowling and at the bowling alley there was this one guy there. Honestly, his stomach was hanging out of his pants and his shirt didn’t cover it. The thing was that it wasn’t like he was sitting there stuffing his face. I can only think that he has some medical condition. I felt sorry for him. But then again, I guess him getting out and bowling is better than sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself.

Michele in NC
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    edited October 2018
    Surgeon wants me to be tested for Vitamin D and B12. Told him I had been a little constipated; and that the Miralax wasn't working so great; told me that my taking the Magnesium Citrate helped somewhat (a couple of gulps of it). He said that I was probably magnesium deficient. I really do NOT want to take more pills of any kind. Just taking me off the OTC, Vitamins, and Supplements has decrease the total number of pills I was swallowing a day. I hate pill taking and having my son come over and tell me, "Mom, this is the way you do it, take one pill, take one swallow of water; take a 2nd pill, and another swallow of water." GEE, Thanks, for making me feel like a total idiot! With the LINX procedure I cannot eat more than a 'dime-sized' piece of food, and put my fork down and swallow something lukewarm to hot; and, begin again. Getting out of the habit of 'inhaling' my food as if someone was going to grab it from me days'. Enjoying it more by chewing it more and letting it slide down and not having acid reflux is worth every single moment of savoring my food and being the last to get up from the table. OH $#*T - I'm glad I am NOT a Vulture! Said on Nat-Geo that they have 10x more 'acid in their stomachs than humans do'.

No Nexium or Pepcid either and I feel a lot better. But, just as my 'driving restriction' because of seizures got lifted at 6-months; 2 days later my 'sleep apnea' MD said 'no more driving until AFTER you see Neurologist and we get to talk to one another. Finally, he has worked things out and now has his own practice; but, I have not had much reason to call - other than to ask him 'if' he has gotten in touch with Dr. Garrett. I'm pretty sure they can get into one another's records since they are both "Phoebe-contract MDs" Got enough of all my medications in the way of refills, so I am not stressing about it. Still waiting for PsycheMD to get his practice and so happy that I won't have to worry anymore about being treated by the 'female' MD from crazy-land'.

I've been dizzy and hoping that my vertigo hasn't decide to rear its ugly head. I've been told by 3 of my MDs they want me back in PT - I have not been able to go because I don't have any way home if I make an early morning session - and one is a 'stand alone' PT with just a few machines, the other has a lot of machines and is associated with their practice. I'll do whatever they tell me to do. Got to have a MRI of my spine now.

We've been without electricity or water for 5 nights and 6 days. We are so blessed; so many others don't even have water to drink. I called the woman and she was 'so sweet' that I did not 'jump up and scream' but I did ask when she thought we'd get service; because she had given the 'pat answer' of a week to 10 days. I told her that I had 'sleep apnea' and sleep with a C-pap and have filed the necessary paperwork to get them to 'try' to get to our power on. Night before last went to my BF's condo and had a nice 'hot' shower and stood in it for a long, long time. Unlike the one I took at DDnL#1's 1/2 sister's place. OMG, if I had known what we were walking into, I think I might have said, ''no thanks'; but, we didn't. BF said her house was cluttered to make room for GS getting out of rehab and having GD visiting over the summer. They were giving stuff away at the parking lot of Fred's and I told Louis and Trey, with a line that long, they needed to drop us off and go back and see what they had. They came home with a case of 'military rations' ... really were not that bad; but, you would have needed a good pair of scissors or a sharp knife and/or some sort of pan to heat them over a burner. It was amazing what those little packs. They had one today and brought back the left-overs. I had already one out for lunch. Everything you would need for a meal and then some. Got a bag of ice and a tarp (for each of them). Apparently, she has decided she would have a 'much better life' living with Grandma than living with 3 men in her life and being the maid. She's 18, so she can live where she wants. But, I knew that 'if' TJ said her condo was 'cluttered' … it would be 'controlled clutter' (and it was). Loved the colors she is redoing her house in. Nice dark grayish-blue. I'd love for my bottom cabinets be a dark grayish green - I know I will know it when I see it. Just need to get Louis' paint chart out of the truck this weekend. Still have not bought any appliances that really need to be replaced. Tomorrow, I will take my clothes next door at Trey's and wash them. The kids are back in school after the storm. We sat out on the covered deck and listened to the wind howl and the trees breaking. Nothing around the house other than one large pine - we would have been well out of the way. Trees in the back 2/4rd of our property had a lot of large oak trees down. Would have loved to have built back there; but, probably better that we didn't after seeing it through Louis and Trey's eyes. Louis said he would take me back there; but, we'd have to try to go during the middle of the day when we would not run up on hunters that shoot at anything that moves. Not supposed to do that. Day-glow Orange Jacket will help.

Trey got most of his meat out of his freezer and into our next door neighbors who had a generator - he called and offered. Tree down across road. Glad I did not know that at the time. We lost everything; but, most of it went with Trey since he had more meat than room. He had gotten it; but, I did not know it. Went to his neighbor's the other day and asked if he had any candles and he opened the door just wide enough to see his face. He is getting worse and worse (think that he has Alzheimer's) and then he said, 'y'all don't have a generator'? DUH! This is the first time in close to 20 years that we could have used one; and, it might be another 20 before we need it, too. We'll wait for the price comes down on them … maybe find one on sale. First night the kids brought over supper; the next night Trey grilled a variety of what he had not put in Jason's freezer. He said, 'next grill I get, I am going to have a 'hot plate' … and, that's when the fight started. Because it had been a 'birthday gift' from Jenn. He quickly back-tracked and said, 'I mean when this one is no longer useable'. Hells-Bells - I'll take his. It'd work great for the 2 of us. But, right now we have 2 of them as it is - I want them 'gone'.

I've been staying away from social networking sites because I feel better when I am not going through a lot of 'drama' at this point in my life.

Love to all!

Lenora
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 838 Member
    Heather!! Doing the happy dance for you!