Can I split my routine up into two days? Will it hinder my progress....

Hi All

I've just started doing a lower body routine which I loved doing but it took me over an hour so I wondered if I could split that routine up into 2-3 days...So my routine looks like this at the moment:

Squats
Lunges (forward)
Bulgarian Split Squats
Glute Bridges
RDL's
Single leg deadlifts
Weighted Step-ups

But would it work if it looked like this (for example):

Monday - Squats, Lunges, RDL's (workout 1)
Weds - Split Squats, Glute Bridges, SLD's, Weighted Step-ups (workout 2)
Fri - Same as Monday (workout 1)

Then each week alternate so week 1 I'd do workout 1 twice and workout 2 once and week 2 I'd do workout 2 twice and workout 1 once.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I agree that you should be working your full body, not just lower. You need muscle/strength in your upper body.

One of the Strong Curves programs is lower body only but even that I'd only do if I was also doing upper body using a different plan.

As for what you're doing, it looks like you've fallen into the "more exercises are better" trap. You're doing a lot of variations of the same movements and while that might be fun, it's going to be hard to truly progress. I'd suggest reducing the number of variations you do in any one block of time and then cycling through them. I use upper/lower programming and do that. Here's an example:

9 week block made up of three 3-week cycles

Lower Day A
    Squat (3x5 OR 5x3 OR 5x1/1x8-10)
    RDL (4x6-8)
    Step ups 3x8-12
    Lying leg curl machine 3x8-12

Lower Day B
    Squat (5x3)
    Deadlift (3x5 OR 3x3 OR 3x1)
    Glute bridge 4x6-8
    Goblet squat 3x8-12

Next 9 week block made up of three 3-week cycles

Lower Day A
    Squat (3x5 OR 5x3 OR 5x1/1x8-10)
    RDL (4x6-8)
    Walking lunges 3x12-15
    Sliding leg curls 3x12-15

Lower Day B
    Squat (5x3)
    Sumo deadlift (3x8 OR 3x5 OR 3x2)
    Glute Bridge 3x10-12
    Leg extensions 4-5x15-25

• Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks for replying, however, I didnt a tually say I don’t do upper body! I just wanted an opinion on splitting up a lower body routine!

I’ve done full body routines, I’m not new to them but a lower/upper works better for me and I much prefer it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I see no glaring issues with it.