Pickleball

Has anyone determined the calories used playing doubles pickleball?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Wouldn’t it be close to doubles tennis? Getting accurate calorie burns is not exact, more like guesstimating Do you track your calorie intake on MFP?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Wouldn’t it be close to doubles tennis? Getting accurate calorie burns is not exact, more like guesstimating Do you track your calorie intake on MFP?

Probably would be less since the court is smaller, so less running.

Agree anything would be a guestimate.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Probably would be less since the court is smaller, so less running.

Agree anything would be a guestimate.

Just started playing around a month ago. It's between tennis and PingPong actually. You can break a sweat at times but most like to run to the "kitchen" and just play from there (sort of like when you were kids playing four square). It's not a terrible amount of calories burned but very fun.

Hard to say, but I'd say, more or less, like walking for an equivalent amount of time. A lot of the game, you're not moving much, sometimes you're moving a lot so it evens out to around the pace of a brisk walk.

The guy I was playing against last night was 72 and he is wicked good for that age. He loves to sit at the kitchen line and just dink and drill shots at you that you can't return. I was lobbing him and making him run all night. Probably mean of me but if I played to his strengths he would have destroyed me, 72 or not (his wife is also really good and she's around 70). He didn't like me much for that. One of the best players in our club is 86 years old and took it up at 83. He's like a frickin' Pickleball Ninja standing at the kitchen (it's a line you can't go across unless the ball drops first in that area).

Most pickleball players are good if their reaction time is great. Running isn't really all that required. It's mostly an older person's game.
  • cgriley8750
    cgriley8750 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks
  • windycityken
    windycityken Posts: 1 Member
    There is a huge difference in the calories being burned between the Casual/New Player and the Competitive/Tournament Player. The Competitive Player is going to burn calories much closer to a Competitive Racquetball Player. There is also a weight factor to introduce to the equation. I have my Pickleball Activity customized to a 200 calorie burn for 15 minutes. 15 minutes is the average length of a game, plus my weight and extreme effort as a 4.0/4.5 Tournament player calculated into the equation.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    With all due respect, I think this 200 calories every 15 minutes estimate for pickleball is a bit high.
    They say competitive soccer players burn 800-1,000 calories an hour. I'd be surprised if pickleball is anywhere near as vigorous as that.