Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Halloween Issues

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited October 2018
    Way back when I was a kid, we loved Halloween and planned our costumes for weeks. But, my mom didn't think we needed all that candy so we could each keep a set amount (plus the homemade treats) and the rest got bagged up and taken to the local children's hospital. I've always thought that was a great idea - all the fun of Halloween and sharing with others. My nieces and nephews all did basically the same thing except the excess went to be shipped to soldiers overseas.

It never dawned on me to do non-candy treats in addition to the candy (we get a lot of kids coming by) - I think I will try that this year.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,463 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Amusing but not true in my world. My friends who have kids with special dietary needs that want to trick or treat simply let their kids go and exchange the treats with appropriate things they bought themselves (*kitten*, I know some parents who do this simply because they're not comfortable with their kids eating candy they got from strangers). 🤷

Exactly what I do too. I have a four yo that is allergic to dairy, eggs, and red dye. Not a whole lot he can have. So we will hit the natural foods store, let him pick a few treats, and then trick or treat for the fun of it. He is super awesome about what he can and can’t have, but definitely has some sad feelings when we don’t have something for him at these times. So we make it happen!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Can we turn this into a debate about whether or not candy corn can be considered "food"?
    852tkv2psxs9.jpg
    3y4iu9ch43z6.png

My mother loved them. I just want to stick a wick in them and light 'em up.

Even though they are basically waxy sugar, I do like candy corn for some reason. Not the ones with chocolate ends, though, or the pumpkin shapes. Only original candy corn.

The waxiness makes it good for placing on your teeth and pretending you're a vampire. Then they usually fall out on the floor so you don't have to actually eat them.

Ohhh this reminds me of when I was a kid and one of my neighbors always handed out wax lips for Halloween. They were fun for about 3 seconds.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Can we turn this into a debate about whether or not candy corn can be considered "food"?
    852tkv2psxs9.jpg
    3y4iu9ch43z6.png

My mother loved them. I just want to stick a wick in them and light 'em up.

Even though they are basically waxy sugar, I do like candy corn for some reason. Not the ones with chocolate ends, though, or the pumpkin shapes. Only original candy corn.

I actually don't mind the waxiness as much as the flavor. But it worked out as mom love them. Now my daughter does so more for her.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    852tkv2psxs9.jpg
    3y4iu9ch43z6.png

I love candy corn! They're best eaten like vampire fangs. When I was a kid my parents ate all my halloween candy so I rarely had much.......... if there was something in there we didn't like, we just didn't eat it.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    "Gender neutral candy" lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    tecat73 wrote: »
    Amusing but not true in my world. My friends who have kids with special dietary needs that want to trick or treat simply let their kids go and exchange the treats with appropriate things they bought themselves (*kitten*, I know some parents who do this simply because they're not comfortable with their kids eating candy they got from strangers). 🤷

Exactly what I do too. I have a four yo that is allergic to dairy, eggs, and red dye. Not a whole lot he can have. So we will hit the natural foods store, let him pick a few treats, and then trick or treat for the fun of it. He is super awesome about what he can and can’t have, but definitely has some sad feelings when we don’t have something for him at these times. So we make it happen!

That's what we did with my two when they were little. They both had different food intolerances. Knowing they had treats at home waiting for them made the whole process of trick or treating enjoyable. Hubs always took the collected candy into work and put it in the break room.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    4vu5r5cw6tod.png

I did the same thing as soon as my kids were grown and out of the house. :p
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Kiyomoo wrote: »

So these would be no good?
    e0scfzgvmfdy.jpg

Some idiot was offering MJ to adults as we accompanied the littlies through the neighbourhood last year. Ignore! No thanks! Moved on.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

e0scfzgvmfdy.jpg

Some idiot was offering MJ to adults as we accompanied the littlies through the neighbourhood last year. Ignore! No thanks! Moved on.

I got those when I was a kid.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

e0scfzgvmfdy.jpg

Do you mean the MJ one might get in Colorado recreationally vs the yucky candies? Because that's just bizarre.
  • 777Gemma888

e0scfzgvmfdy.jpg

Do you mean the MJ one might get in Colorado recreationally vs the yucky candies? Because that's just bizarre.

The Colorado variety, yes.
  • 777Gemma888
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

e0scfzgvmfdy.jpg

I got those when I was a kid.

Things haven't really changed then. 😕
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    4vu5r5cw6tod.png

Yep, that's us! And the local paper always prints something about "don't go to houses without lights on", but the little buggers still come and ring the bell!

Last year I put our big recycling bin at the bottom of the steps with a sign on it, and we finally had almost no one coming to the door. Blessed peace to enjoy our movie! :)