Lean Cuisines (& other brands) and Tracking

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Love Lean Cuisine. Must try FitKitchen
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Those Fit Kitchen meals look pretty good. I eat lean cuisines for most of my lunches because I'm honestly too lazy to pack a full lunch most of the time.

How did you weigh your lean cuisine though? Is the weight they give on the packaging just the food only, or including the tray weight I wonder...I've honestly never thought about weighing my lean cuisines, even though I know I should.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Those Fit Kitchen meals look pretty good. I eat lean cuisines for most of my lunches because I'm honestly too lazy to pack a full lunch most of the time.

How did you weigh your lean cuisine though? Is the weight they give on the packaging just the food only, or including the tray weight I wonder...I've honestly never thought about weighing my lean cuisines, even though I know I should.

Weigh the food with tray. Eat. Weigh the tray and subtract from the previous weight.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I’ll see your fit kitchen and raise you power bowls

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

The ones at my store all seem to involve either quinoa, kale, or (shudder) both :confounded: That's no go for me. I wish they carried more of a variety!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member

Feta 🤢

Haven’t tried those yet. Next time I’m shopping I will check ‘em out.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    This is a dumb question but did you weigh it frozen or cooked?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Are you removing the tray that they come in? Because that adds weight, but not calories.

Naturally I realize that! 🤣
    This is just my opinion...

If being 100% "exact" works for you, then continue to do it. But even then, there are still variables. Personally, I'd rather pull out a frozen meal and just eat it than worry how accurate it is.

Well like I said in my original post, for some people it may not be an issue at all. For others who have a small amount left to lose and only have a small calorie deficit it might make a huge difference.

For me, because I do tend to eat a lot of foods over the course of the week where I cannot weigh them and do not have an exact calculation and am only guessing, I want to know as much as possible the calories of the foods I do have control over, if that makes sense.

I tend to eat very close to my calorie allowance goal and I do not want to go over because I do not want to have to do this again and again and again. I gave myself a lot of leeway in the past... Being loosey-goosey with things like calorie counts... And here I am weighing more than I did when I first started in 2015.

In 2015 I was just 245 and I got myself down to just under 200 lb when I decided to loosen up and let go of some of that rigidity as you called it.

That led to weight gain. Which also led to me becoming discouraged and depressed. Which lead to further snowballing. I am one of the ones that needs the rigidity.

I probably do have a lot more leeway with calories than I give myself credit for but I want to get this done, once and for all, and I want to succeed in a reasonable amount of time. I have been trying in one way shape or form to try to lose weight since 2004. I have been obese since 1999. I've had enough....I've tried to loosey-goosey way for all these years and it hasn't worked for me.

• wizzybeth
    edited October 2018
    whitpauly wrote: »
    This is a dumb question but did you weigh it frozen or cooked?

Not a dumb question at all! I was actually waiting at cooked after I dumped it out on my plate... So the calories may even have been more because some of the weight would have been lost during cooking do to water evaporation.

I guess the best thing to do would be like suggested above... Wait in the packaging prior to cooking, then after cooking way the packaging and subtract the difference.

I do consume quite a few of these throughout the course of the week so the calorie counts are important to me. If I was having just one every so often I probably wouldn't worry about it so much...
  • deannalfisher
    pinuplove wrote: »

The ones at my store all seem to involve either quinoa, kale, or (shudder) both :confounded: That's no go for me. I wish they carried more of a variety!

This one has Farro which is one of my go-to grains
  • deannalfisher
    kami3006 wrote: »

Feta 🤢

All the more feta for me then ;)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »

Feta 🤢

All the more feta for me then ;)

You’re more than welcome to it.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I eat lean cuisine regularly, they are super easy for me for lunch. I also like them so it works. I have found that mine are almost always underweight, weighing less the The palace says. I always weight them frozen too, they weigh even less once cook them. I always use the frozen weight to log.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    I've probably weighed a dozen of these meals over the last couple of months and so far almost all of them have ended up LOWER than the package states. I didn't adjust the calories downward when posting on MFP, but maybe I should?
  • wizzybeth
    patrickaa5 wrote: »
    I've probably weighed a dozen of these meals over the last couple of months and so far almost all of them have ended up LOWER than the package states. I didn't adjust the calories downward when posting on MFP, but maybe I should?

I don't adjust downward. I guess it depends on the meal! :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    patrickaa5 wrote: »

I haven't weighed a dozen, but after seeing this I weighed the next few packaged foods I ate (not just frozen meals). Nearly all were under weight, so I stopped bothering with it. I figure it probably all works out and if they are usually under then it's not going to cause a problem that I can't fix if I start losing too much (I am in maintenance). But yeah, it doesn't look like there is much chance this will cause you to be over.
  • wizzybeth
    So maybe the random three or four I've weighed ....were just that...random... Hmmm. The one from the other day was like 50g over. AFTER cooking. Strange!
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    The Beef and Broccoli Fit Bowl is pretty darn tasty for a frozen meal and far more filling than most!