Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Recently found out this is a thing beyond the obvious Planet Fitness.

I think this is a completely BS thing. I will admit it is a genius business model (Keep membership costs so low people will keep it even if they don't use it, discourage the culture of people who will put wear and tear on your equipment, and could possibly teach newcomers something). I will give credit to the idea from a financial standpoint.

From a fitness standpoint, it's completely pointless and is the embodiment of our lazy, overly PC, overfed American culture, at least IMO. It would be better for our country as a whole if there was less of this "you're fine the way you are, but if you want to work out you can but whatever is ok" and more of the attitude "you are obese, here is the means and knowledge to fix it - now put in some work."

That's just my .02. Debate

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    It seems like a smart marketing strategy of course. I was interested and googled it one time and came across a forbes article that dove into it a bit more and found they weren't really all that profitable. I think this article was a few years old though.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    I really don't care about people slamming weights, grunting, exhibiting "bro" like behavior, etc.; as long as one is not breaking equipment & endangering others
    This is another point I really have against these gyms. I kinda think there is a certain threshold of ones max where a grunt/growl/loud breath is almost inevitable and can even help on the last rep. Same with "dropping weights" the guys who purposely throw weights are jackwagons, but in the same sentence lowering a 450lb + deadlift that isn't bumper plates quietly is pretty much impossible unless your max is upwards of 550.

Yeah, understandable for deadlifts & various other exercises where dropping weights on purpose is a must for safety concerns. I don't look to highly of gym bros who purposely slam a cable stack with EVERY rep (oddly feel sympathy for the lifeless weights)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I really don't care about people slamming weights, grunting, exhibiting "bro" like behavior, etc.; as long as one is not breaking equipment & endangering others
    This is another point I really have against these gyms. I kinda think there is a certain threshold of ones max where a grunt/growl/loud breath is almost inevitable and can even help on the last rep. Same with "dropping weights" the guys who purposely throw weights are jackwagons, but in the same sentence lowering a 450lb + deadlift that isn't bumper plates quietly is pretty much impossible unless your max is upwards of 550.

Yeah, understandable for deadlifts & various other exercises where dropping weights on purpose is a must for safety concerns. I don't look to highly of gym bros who purposely slam a cable stack with EVERY rep (oddly feel sympathy for the lifeless weights)

True, but you don't drop every rep of a deadlift from waist high (unless bumper plates and platform). *kitten* at my gym doing that and *kitten* up plates.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have never heard the "no intimidation gym" term. What does this even mean and why is planet fitness one? This is probably a stupid question but I googled it as well and can't seem to find anything explaining fully.

I have never belonged to a gym, but do people usually comment on your workouts at most gyms? I always thought no one would talk to you unless you asked for advice and everyone just did their own thing. At most gyms it is the norm to have someone approach you every time and tell you how/what to do? I am genuinely curious because I never thought this was how gyms were but I have no clue since never been to one lol.