What is “healthy” according to you?

And why?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    interesting question. Do you mean healthy food or healthy person? or both?

Let me see, for me, healthy food would be things which are wholesome, fresh, not overly processed. I don't really subscribe to the "clean" vs "dirty" food ideal though. But for example, I'd say a home or bakery baked bread using wholewheat flour and grains and stuff would be "healthier" than a generic stop bought white sandwich bread loaf thing that has added numbers and stuff.

as for a healthy person, i think that to me that means someone who has a decent level of fitness, not necessarily an athlete or even a gym bunny type, but you know, normal being able to hike a few kilometres or run for the bus for a couple of hundred metres without passing out or having a heart attack, able to enjoy life actively to an extent.

doesn't have to be a thin person or muscular person or anything like that. For example, I did a fun race thing at work recently with a girl 20 years my junior - I was astounded that she couldn't keep up with the rest of us as we raced around the course. She is 22, slim, young, healthy-looking... but was puffed and red and dying after like a 50m sprint. I couldn't believe it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I'm 63, so "healthy" is essential for me. Aging takes away your capabilities--if you let it. Keeping active allows me to do more and keep my aches and pains in line. I walk, swim, go to the gym, do acquagym, and yoga + stretching at home. My husband calls it "our insurance policy for old age". As for healthy eating, I grew up on a farm and we had a garden. My mother canned and froze fresh foods. We grew up with the idea of a balanced meal. 31 yrs ago I married an Italian and moved to Italy. Here food is a culture and quality is foremost.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    This is a tough one and an easy one.

Being able to exercise so I can get that great feeling after.
    Not needing any medication.
    Keeping my beer belly in check.
    Being able to have fun with kids and grand kids and my favorite is skiing.
    As I grow older not being a burden to others due to poor health.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    For me...
    • maintaining reasonable flexibility/mobility - basically not feeling old and stiff and broken
    • maintaining reasonable strength and endurance - basically able to do the things I want/need to do as part of my everyday life
    • maintaining a reasonably balanced diet, both in terms of what I eat but also how much I eat - basically just be sensible
    • maintain a weight that doesn't cause/exacerbate problems (back problems, sleeping issues, etc).

Pretty much the same...
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Healthy for me, especially now that I've turned 50 would be:

Continuing to hike longer distances and continuing to work on my strength.

Continuing to eat a balanced diet with a focus on whole foods, keeping my protein levels up, and limiting sweets and alcohol.

Getting all my medical checks done and keeping them up to date.

Nurturing my soul and mind daily.

And finally dropping this weight that I continue to yoyo for 8 years.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Healthy for me means being a healthy weight, eating nutrient rich foods (note: treats have their place within limits), being able to walk long distances, climb stairs, run a 5K with 9 weeks of training, doing what I can to manage my existing medical issues, and not sweating the small stuff.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    My lab/blood tests coming back normal.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    1. Being self-content. Low amounts of stress, high degree of human interaction.
    2. Getting a minimum of 7 hrs of sleep per night.
    3. No meds and good lab works.
    4. Everything that goes in, to go in reasonably and in moderation.
    5. A physical activity level of „Moderate” or higher.
    6. Periodic daily routine breaks or hobbies / free time activities that help you improve (physically, mentally, emotionally).
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    For me...
    • maintaining reasonable flexibility/mobility - basically not feeling old and stiff and broken
    • maintaining reasonable strength and endurance - basically able to do the things I want/need to do as part of my everyday life
    • maintaining a reasonably balanced diet, both in terms of what I eat but also how much I eat - basically just be sensible
    • maintain a weight that doesn't cause/exacerbate problems (back problems, sleeping issues, etc).

This pretty much sums it up for me as well....

Having been in maintenance for a few years, I no longer shoot for a scale number - I shoot for an overall feeling of well being.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    edited October 2018
    Being in a state promoting life.

A pursuit of physical, mental, and spiritual excellence.

As for the why I prioritize the "big picture" view of most things as opposed to diving into minutiae.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Just maintaining mobility and strength as I get old. I want to be able to maintain a good quality of life able to do the tasks that I want/need to do. Also all my bloodwork and whatnot come back normal.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    This is a good question...and the honest answer is that I've never thought about it. I can point at a specific thing and say I think it's healthy, but defining healthy overall is hard.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    To me healthy means being happy, able to move and do things and having good yearly health check results.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Healthy to me is my annual catecholamine stats coming back normal...