Do you ever comment on unrealistic logging by friends?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2018
    I stay out of it. Sometimes they know it but it is their fitness band or whatever and most people who are losing know how much they can eat and lose. I know what you mean tho. 1000 calories for a walk? I get 125.

cleaning and cooking are my favourite ones... and anything from mapmywalk or mapmyrun

That would be awesome if I burned the calories some people post for cleaning! Lol I clean the house 5 days a week! Or burned 400 calories weightlifting! 🤣 I only use time under tension and then only for snits and giggles.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I don't look at other peoples diaries unless I am asked to. Then, the only thing I question is unreasonably low calorie days. Sometimes my calorie burns look ridiculous but I don't eat most of that back because I know it's not accurate. Jiu Jitsu regularly gives me over 900 calories. In reality, I probably burn about 150-250 depending on whether it is a grappling night. I just like the accountability of logging my physical activity.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    I would respond to someone asking what is going wrong, but would not critique without invitation.

Nunya bidness
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 131 Member
    Nope. Who says what's unrealistic? Just because I think it may be unrealistic doesn't mean it is unrealistic to others. I have to focus on my own goals based on my own abilities and willpower, threshhold.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I saw someone log 1000 calories for 'mowing the lawn'.

But, nope, not my business.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    I do not.

I don’t actually use MFP to track my exercise. I usually log my runs but only to have a log of my times. I know I didn’t burn as many calories as MFP says I did, I would incredibly annoyed if someone kept commenting on my logs pointing that out and would probably just delete them as a friend.

If someone asks for help/guidance the sure mention it but otherwise you don’t know their mindset and what they may be using those numbers/tracking for.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »

Big lawn, push mower?

:)
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »

Big lawn, push mower?

:)

I considered that, still skeptical...
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have only commented on those who asked specifically for feedback when they requested me as a friend. And that's only two people. They were both very open to the comments.
    Otherwise, no. I have unfriended a couple people who were giving crappy advice, posting inflated calorie burns and dubious dieting science.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
    Friends whether IRL or virtual friends helping one another with advice from areas of experience or knowledge doesn't seem an odd behaviour at all.

A lot of people, quite understandably, are clueless about estimating exercise burns and may well benefit from a nudge in the right direction such as not using HRMs for strength training calorie estimates, not using MapMyCompleteFantasyBurn app for anything but distance, which cardio machines to trust etc etc.
    No one is obligated to take advice after all.

A bit like an extension of the community forums sharing knowledge and experience but on a personal level.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2018
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    How does one decide what is unrealistic and what isn't? This whole idea of this conversion seems a bit presumptuous to me.

Sometimes it's just obvious. I saw someone, whose stats were known, post a calorie burn of 800 calories for 30 minutes of a moderate activity. There was no way that was even close.

Can it be presumptuous, sure. But, it can also be simply applying experience.

ETA: she was happy for the correction and it helped her in the end.