Epic dirty bulk?

Ok, so I used to be a fit 205lbs (ish), then I quit lifting and eating proper and got fat to about 300lbs over the course of 2 years. I've been lifting again for 7 months, and eating a properly balanced deficit for around 3 - currently sitting in the low 260s, and cutting.

The thing is, I am now as strong, if not stronger, sometimes by quite a bit (my squat for instance) than I ever was at 205 - my question is: was some of that 95lb gain muscle even though I was inactive? Did I essentially dirty bulk without meaning to, and now that I am properly training my muscles and regaining my CNS adaptations, will I be a few lbs heavier at roughly the same body fat I was at 205?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Ok, so I used to be a fit 205lbs (ish), then I quit lifting and eating proper and got fat to about 300lbs over the course of 2 years. I've been lifting again for 7 months, and eating a properly balanced deficit for around 3 - currently sitting in the low 260s, and cutting.

The thing is, I am now as strong, if not stronger, sometimes by quite a bit (my squat for instance) than I ever was at 205 - my question is: was some of that 95lb gain muscle even though I was inactive? Did I essentially dirty bulk without meaning to, and now that I am properly training my muscles and regaining my CNS adaptations, will I be a few lbs heavier at roughly the same body fat I was at 205?

Probably yes. Of course too much body fat 8s not a good thing. But if you can be patient and not lose too quickly but on a slow steady pace you will keep much of the muscle you've gained.
  • I'm currently cutting 2lbs a week on 2500 calories a day, exercise calories included. I plan on continuing this until around 220-230, then reverse dieting to a 1lb a week /500cal per day deficit as I near 20% bf and continuing this down to around 15%, then eating for maintenence as a recomp for a solid amount of time.

Is this a good strategy? For reference i'd estimate I'm somewhere around 28% bf currently at 262. Fat calipers put me at 16% but those do not count intramuscular/visceral. My estimate is based on my waist and neck, and also how I look.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I think I already mentioned to you in another thread. There is no way you put on 95lbs of pure fat. Thats not how this works. Your bigger now, and therefore your strength potential is higher. This is also helped by past experience being a lifter. As to your current predicament, we are all different. Some people can cut hard and still gain strength, others don't have the fortitude. All I can say make sure you keep pushing to add strength on your cut to limit your muscle loss. IMO, unless you're trying out for the NFL if you're at 260 going from 300 to 205 you have a ways to go before you need to worry lowering your cut. You're going to lose some muscle. But to me your plan sounds solid. However, if you start losing strength I would reconsider. Also keep in mind building strength on cut, can get confusing as hell once you get to the 15% bf range. You're weight becomes dominated by water retention and it goes up and down and all around, so you have stay on point with cals, and monitor more with the mirror and less with the scale.
  • gcpower
    gcpower Posts: 17 Member
    I am mirroring your experience! 300 lbs --> 263 lbs, strength training and running a food deficit. I am dropping about 1.5 lbs per week at 2775 kcal per day. Also at about 27% bf (estimated based on Navy Method and my body impedence scale).
    Everything sounds great. It is cool to hear that you are doing the same thing I am and also experiencing success. Keep it up!

As for advice/ideas, I have incorporated two refeed days per week. They have done wonders for the morale. I suggest reading up on it.

@youcantflexcardio Have you started to notice a drop/stall in strength gains? My progress has slowed to a crawl, but my physique has improved noticeably.

As for my planned journey, I am continuing to cut for one more month then reversing into a slow bulk through to my next powerlifting meet in April. Then I'll repeat the whole experience next summer. :) 105kg weight class here I come!
  • @gcpower Yes, I have noticed a slowdown recently, I expected it TBH...my initial strength regain back to my previous levels was insanely fast for 2 years off, after that it has really kind of slowed to a crawl but still going up. I'm expecting a full blown stall somewhere around 240, and then I will just do what I can to minimize the losses down to 220ish where I drop the deficit.

That's really cool that you are on the same track. Good luck on the powerlifting - I have eyes on some strongman stuff myself (maybe...I have some surgical hardware that could pose a problem at higher weights, time will tell)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If you weigh more, you have the potential to move more weight. Are you stronger? Maybe. Without knowing your programming and progressions it hard to say.

Did you gain some muscle? More than likely.
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    As you get physically larger your leverages change for some lifts in a benficial manner. Being bigger doesn't necessarily make you stronger, being in a better mechanical position will let you move heavier weights though.

The easiest lift to imagine would likely be the bench press, if you have a larger gut or pecs (regardless of composition of said parts) the weakest point of the lift would be closer to lockout making you able to lift more.

Alternatively, think of quarter squatting vs a full depth squat (which depends on individual ability and sport demands). Being bigger you probably can't squat quite as deep, which also makes the lift easier.

*Mini-rant warning because I hear this all the time*

The common misconception is that the lift is easier because the range of motion is shorter, but in actuality the lift is easier because the most difficult part of the lift is in a more mechanically advantageous position.
    The physical distance the bar moves is largely irrelevant until you're doing sets that last longer than 25ish seconds (likely about 8ish reps), at which point you start to become limited by energy systems and not by the ability to exert enough force to move the weight.

*End rant*

Tldr; being bigger gives you better leverages and therefore the ability to move more weight. Some weight might have been muscle too. Keep on keeping on!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Just carrying an extra 95lbs of weight around all day will inevitably add some muscle, every movement you made was significantly moving more mass.
    Every time you walked up the stairs, levered yourself out of the bath etc. etc. you had to work harder and your muscles would have adapted accordingly.