Who Is Afraid Of The Scale

Replies

• sadiejoy4509
    sadiejoy4509 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2018
    I weigh in once a week. I don’t want to weigh every day because I don’t want the emotional work of ups and downs. Once a week gives me a good trending number, and I watch my sodium intake the day before I weigh. When I make changes to my eating habits or go on a maintenance break I may weigh 2 times a week just to see what’s happening. But I’m not afraid ever. I know what I ate and how I did. The scale just confirms it.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    I only weigh myself once per month because I get discouraged when I see normal daily fluctuations. It helps me to see a drop rather than lose one day, go up the next. I know it’s perfectly normal, but it drives me insane. I’m not scared of the scale as much as I am discouraged by it, if that makes sense.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    pkweier wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I weigh 6-7 days a week. I keep 2 trends. One for work days, I get up at 0430. The other for days off. I get up at 0630. It's amazing that 2 hrs can mean 2-3 lbs of difference!

So true I have found the same thing. I log the higher weight because I'm up at 430 most days except on Sunday when I sleep in. I never thought about keeping 2 trends

Well, it just kind of takes the frustration out of weighing under different conditions. I mean it would probably equal our over time, but many of us seem to be a little... uhhh... anal retentive about things! Lol
  • Jadesfire93
    Jadesfire93 Posts: 92 Member
    edited November 2018
    The last time I lost a significant amount of weight I was weighing in once a week. I remember getting discouraged easily when the hard work after seven days wouldn't be as noticeable as I would hope, and the scale was always the enemy.

This time around I forced myself to face my fear- yes, I would classify it as a fear- and weigh myself every morning. Surprisingly, the scale rather quickly stopped seeming like an enemy and is now just a tool to be used in this process. Once a day weigh-ins make it easier for me to accept fluctuations now.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I weigh in once in the morning.
    MFP has the progress trend chart that I look at every day and as long as the trend is headed down over time , i don't worry for a second about the daily fluctuations.

In the beginning I obsessed over the 1 or 2 lb daily differences, and , would examine the details of my physical activity , sleep patterns, meal times, and calorie/macro info.

I was able to see some distinct pairings of things like:
    late dinner (after 6pm), or, a couple of beers at night = lousy sleep pattern + extra weight in the morning. EVEN IF I didn't exceed my calorie limit for the day. Lesson for me from that is : beer is not food.

Protein heavy days = constipation.
    Fat heavy days = heartburn, acid reflex
    carb heavy days = belly bloat.

When I balance the macros (50 carb, 30 fat, 20 protein) at each meal and stay within my calorie budget, I feel good.
    I also see the weight coming off steadily.

I like to feel good, and I like getting back into better shape.

COntinued feel good motivates me to continue logging, weighing, analyzing, adjusting as needed. As my shape improves, so does my wardrobe.

I thought the OPs idea to take a day and weigh themself multiple times was useful to confirm that weight does change throughout the day, and, that 's not a bad thing, if the overall trend over time is going int he direction you want.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    No scared of the scale. I am trying to lose weight but more than that, trying to eat an appropriate amount of calories, and truly make exercise a habit. And I want that to be more important than the digits on a glass pane if that makes sense.

I had actually decided to this without checking the scale at all but I caved. I think I'll check daily for a month, get a sense of how my cycle impacts weight, and make sure I am losing at expected rate. Thereafter, weigh monthly only until I get to overweight territory.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I use to dread getting on the scale. That changed when I decided to change me, and start the lifestyle change of how I ate, what I ate, and move more eat less. And reading so many posts here. So now I weigh myself every morning. I record info on an excel spreadsheet daily so I see the ups and downs and so on. I weigh in on Saturdays. And it is what it is. I no longer dread it, and have learned understanding and knowledge made the dread go away.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I use to dread getting on the scale. That changed when I decided to change me, and start the lifestyle change of how I ate, what I ate, and move more eat less. And reading so many posts here. So now I weigh myself every morning. I record info on an excel spreadsheet daily so I see the ups and downs and so on. I weigh in on Saturdays. And it is what it is. I no longer dread it, and have learned understanding and knowledge made the dread go away.

i use the MFP app to log my weight and it makes a lovely little progress trend chart for me.
  • fgsn
    fgsn Posts: 7 Member
    I hate the scale and seeing the daily fluctuations. I weigh daily because I like being able to go back and see the downward trend when I feel like giving up, but I don't look at my weight. I have a bluetooth scale so I've covered the number with a sticky note and the number just goes straight to my phone. That way I can go look when I'm feeling down and not have to worry about it every morning.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    I’m now weighing every few days, is it just me or do you just “know” when you have lost?i do 🤪

It's got so I can usually tell before I get out of bed, lying on my back I can tell a lot by the feel of my hipbones.

Yep me too, I rub my stomach and I can feel the difference

• somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    The daily and weekly fluctuations on the scale have been stressing me out lately, so I created an Excel spreadsheet this morning to keep track of calorie intake (daily, weekly avg, monthly avg). I also included my weight for the 1st of each month. This is helping me see the bigger picture and not be so stressed about what the scale reads on a day-to-day basis. (Because I still want to weigh in every day...it's like a morbid curiosity, I guess.)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    No, I have taught myself that my world doesnt revolve around the scale. I definitely don't weigh multiple times a day. My body weight is just a number...it doesnt define who I am. I do use Libra to track my trends, though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I step on my scale once a week only. I record whatever it says and move on.
    When I tried daily weighing the focus on the number became unhealthy for me. Yes, I understand fluctuations and am not afraid of them but I would think too much about it if it was a daily thing. Weighing multiple times a day every day doesn't seem like it would be helpful or healthy for my goals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Not afraid of the scale, but I don't see any real benefit to weighing in multiple times per day...just makes for noisy data IMO. I don't see any point in weighing myself after I've had lunch or something...that data wouldn't really mean anything and is just a bunch of noise.

Agreed.

I could see doing it at the beginning of weight loss for a week or two in order to help someone understand that fluctuations throughout the day (as well as from day to day) are entirely normal, and that weight loss isn't linear.

Beyond that initial 'learning curve' however, obtaining this kind of data on an on-going basis seems irrelevant and, well, kinda weird to me. "Oh, look! I just ate a pound of hamburger and look, my weight went up by a pound, too!" That's about as informative as weighing yourself, stepping off, picking up a 5 lb bag of sugar and stepping back on the scale. "Oh, look! I'm 5 lbs heavier. Oh no!"

But to each their own.

Lol! Totally agree. Ain't nobody got time for dat!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    I weigh myself every morning and love it. The only times I don't weigh myself is if I've overeaten the day before so I skip it then. I go back on once I am back on track.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I'm more afraid of my skinny jeans!

I do weigh daily but it's just an interesting data point. I'm more worried about my clothes fitting.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I'm more afraid of my skinny jeans!

I do weigh daily but it's just an interesting data point. I'm more worried about my clothes fitting.

Yep, because buying clothes so they fit you, seriously sucks.

If I weighed that many times a day, my scale would need to be carried with me in my shoulder bag. Lol