Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is every single body in the world intended to be within the so-called healthy BMI range?

1161718192022»

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I don't think "every single body in the world" is meant to be within the healthy BMI range...
    However, for the average people who are trying to lose weight, it is a good guideline to start with.
    Also, while there are always a few "outliers" with anything; I do feel that most people who consider themselves as outliers actually aren't and would benefit from dropping that rationale (at least for a little while) to see if maybe they were only using it as rationalization for not succeeding. I know I've done that before, and a lot of us probably have.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member

My father stayed within 5 pounds of 140 his entire adult life.
    The only reason he gained weight in college was because he grew 4 inches in college. :D
  • orenshani7
    orenshani7 Posts: 34 Member
    The short answer is: No.

A slightly longer answer:

All these B*I's are gross estimates. They measure certain attributes of the human body that in the whole of human population distribute on the famous bell curve. Then they are correlated with a rather vague notion of health and fitness. So clearly the final outcome of all this process does not say much on the desired weight or calorie consumption or exercise routine of a specific individual.

The only sensible way to look at BMI and other human body indicators, is as something that gives you a very groos feedback on your fitness related decisions and choices. When monitoring them is incorporated with a true understanding of your own body and your personal fitness goals, it does help you allot to keep on track. What you shouldn't do is to comare "yours" to "theirs" or to some arbitrary standard. Your fitness is your concern and you should take care of your body because it is yours.