Getting enough protein

Hi, wondering if anyone has any ideas on easy way to get 45 grams of protein a day. Diagnosed as anemic I am really trying to eat better. Have daily iron under control. Frosted mini wheats. Who knew👍
I don’t eat a lot of beef or chicken. Not vegetarian but just don’t like it. Love eggs but not as much protein as I thought there would be😔. Need protein without too much fat or calories. Any ideas. Thanks

Replies

• FindingLaurie
    FindingLaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Hi--I struggled with getting enough protein too. Then I found a site that sells yummy whey protein products. It's actually a post-bariatric surgery product, but I've ordered a bunch and most everything I've ordered has been really good (not a fan of the coffee creamer). The Holy Cannoli powder is the best! And the Cafe Bella stuff you put in your morning coffee is yummy, too. The site is https://shop.bariatriceating.com/inspire-protein.html.
    Hope that helps
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Some beef jerkys will give 15G of protein in an 80 calorie serving
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Most Greek yogurts give you 15g protein; I get protein from stuff like Farro (60g uncooked is 42g carb and 9g protein)
  • bbttumbleweed
    bbttumbleweed Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks I will look into protein powder.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    For protein: protien powder egg whites, low fat dairy, fish. If I remember correctly iron in cereal is not as well absorbed. Taking it with vitamin c can help. I have a vegan protein powder that has some iron in it (Vega1 all-in-one). Molasses is also higher in iron.
  • purdynerdybirdy
    purdynerdybirdy Posts: 20 Member
    You can look into addibg some plant based protein as well. For example, legumes, nuts/ nut butters, seeds, tofu, tempeh.

I don't eat meat, and get 70-110 grams a day depending on my caloric goal for the day.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Fairlife milk is slightly higher in protein per serving than regular milk. I know the 2% had 13g per cup for 120 calories. You could use that on your cereal. Tuna and jerky are really good sources, as others have mentioned. Pbfit has 8g in 2 tablespoons for 70 calories. You could mix it into Greek yogurt with some berries or a banana. Or, and I know this sounds odd, but you could put the peanut butter powder and a serving of nesquick powder into Greek yogurt. The chocolate powder is only 50 calories and does give you some vitamins and minerals. My protein shakes are usually the fairlife milk, 1 tablespoon of pbfit, whey protein, and nesquick. 315 calories with 39 grams of protein.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    I mostly use egg whites and Greek yogurt to get my protein up. Both are pretty low calorie.
  • ebulatingangst
    ebulatingangst Posts: 1 Member
    I have a monthly subscription on Amazon for EAS 100% Pure Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla, 5 LB, 30 Grams of Whey Protein Per Serving for $45. Just mix with water using a stick blender, it has a very mild flavor and is very easy to drink.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    I have also struggled with protein.

I added Skyr yogurt (high protein, low fat, low calorie), and protein fortified cereal. I've also made an effort to make sure I have some sort of protein source in every meal (beans, and lentils are great vegi alternatives to meat). And a great addition is a glass of milk at the end of the day if you're a little short.

Also, 45g is very low. As a very minimum you should be consuming at least 1g per kg of body weight.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    I agree with the statements above about those 45 grams per day - think you could do with a bit more, especially since you're on the losing train and need to preserve muscle.

My go-to's, protein-wise, are:
    • Veggie salad (think greens, corn, tomatoes, olives etc) with 5 oz tuna - 50 g of protein
    • 5 oz chicken breast (43 g protein) and 6 oz lentils (17 g protein) - 60 g protein in total
    • Fresh soft cheese, low fat / Quark - 50 grams of protein and just 275 cals for 500 g / 17.5 oz
    • Greek yogurt (low / 2% fat), sweetner, oats / berries and a chocolate whey serving - around 40 g protein

The link above shared by @Maxxitt is the best resource around if you need some extra inspiration.
  • simonpaulhowell
    simonpaulhowell Posts: 58 Member
    Natural Yoghurt is good...SKYR is the one I like 15g in a 100g serving...have it most days for breakfast...cottage cheese is good too...other than that - protein shakes - and my new found love - myprotein hot mocha !
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Deviette wrote: »

I added Skyr yogurt (high protein, low fat, low calorie), and protein fortified cereal. I've also made an effort to make sure I have some sort of protein source in every meal (beans, and lentils are great vegi alternatives to meat). And a great addition is a glass of milk at the end of the day if you're a little short.

Also, 45g is very low. As a very minimum you should be consuming at least 1g per kg of body weight.

One gram per pound of body weight is a bit much. Minimal protein needs are accurately stated in terms of lean body mass, but since determining that accurately can be an issue, a rough guide is to use IDEAL body weight.

Saying that, the minimal requirements are .6 - .8 grams per pound of that ideal weight. Lifters, aging, active, and dieting people should eat towards the higher side of that figure.

There's nothing wrong with eating extra protein, of course. I personally do because I find it filling. But for someone struggling with it, too high a goal might seem daunting.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Cottage cheese (in addition to some of the other mentioned things)

Quest bars
  • bbttumbleweed
    bbttumbleweed Posts: 4 Member
    I am honestly confused. Every website I looked at told me different amounts of protein. Then when I put it in as a
    goal for this app, my calorie count changed 😜 55 years old, 5’3 128 lbs. Try to eat 1,200 calories a day.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    one of my favorites is 1/4 cup of roasted, salted pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt. 31g of protein and only 350 calories. Healthy and nutritious.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited November 2018
    Deviette wrote: »

One gram per pound of body weight is a bit much. Minimal protein needs are accurately stated in terms of lean body mass, but since determining that accurately can be an issue, a rough guide is to use IDEAL body weight.

Saying that, the minimal requirements are .6 - .8 grams per pound of that ideal weight. Lifters, aging, active, and dieting people should eat towards the higher side of that figure.

There's nothing wrong with eating extra protein, of course. I personally do because I find it filling. But for someone struggling with it, too high a goal might seem daunting.

I said one gram per KILOGRAM body weight.

However I did misremember. It should be 0.8g per kg of body weight as a minimum. This is what is recommended by WHO as a bare minimum.

The figure is normally quoted as being the recommended amount of protein is 0.8-1.2g per kg of body weight, hence how I got to 1g/kg as being the median number.