Obese and Depressed

Hey, I’ve been feeling ill for the longest period time. It’s so hard for me to get out of a place where I sit but mostly bed (not due to weight) due to depression and I used be an extrovert but recently I avoid my friends and I hate going outside of my house because of the way I look and I’m embarrassed of the way I look. Right now I’m on 4 months break and everyday I eat and sleep or just lay on bed watch Netflix all day. I hate to move from bed, I really want to change my habits and lose weight I had all plans in my head but till now I’ve been only laying and rolling on bed. I’m afraid that this might lead to suicide, I’m curious to know if any of you are going through depression and how are you losing weight meanwhile fighting depression? :(

Replies

• karabobera
    karabobera Posts: 26 Member
    Just remember to take it slow and be patient to yourself! Sending lots of love and support! I know how hard it is to keep going when things feel so low but you can do it <3
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Yes I have felt the same and still depressed but on medication now. You really need to see a doctor. It is a long road but you need to start somewhere. The weight right now is the last thing you should worry about
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    This year has been the worst for me. In March my employer told me I was being made redundant leaving at the end of June and I continued for three months without knowing what was next for me. About two weeks before leaving, a job came around which came with an 8K pay raise and I took it thinking it would be great for my career. Four months in and I had gained a lot of weight (I'm now 117.9KG) and my mood had also changed. The job wasn't good at all, it was more demanding than i was expecting and I became depressed from stress and wanted to kill myself because of it all. I went to the Doctor and he signed me off work for two weeks, but instructed me to try and find myself and to give myself an objective before going back to work. He advised to pay attention to my diet and activity. I have taken these instructions on board and I plan on losing my weight and getting more active. For me it's taking baby steps one at a time.

I’m so happy that it’s kinda working out for you and thank you for this advice
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Wow, you look great! Very inspiring!
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hey, I’ve been feeling ill for the longest period time. It’s so hard for me to get out of a place where I sit but mostly bed (not due to weight) due to depression and I used be an extrovert but recently I avoid my friends and I hate going outside of my house because of the way I look and I’m embarrassed of the way I look. Right now I’m on 4 months break and everyday I eat and sleep or just lay on bed watch Netflix all day. I hate to move from bed, I really want to change my habits and lose weight I had all plans in my head but till now I’ve been only laying and rolling on bed. I’m afraid that this might lead to suicide, I’m curious to know if any of you are going through depression and how are you losing weight meanwhile fighting depression? :(

Please consider seeing a professional who can help you! I have suffered with depression most of my life, but didn't know it until 4 years ago. Then it was another 3 years before my doctor was able to find the best medication for me. It's a long process, and one that is best to get started right away. Not every medication works for everyone. Therapy doesn't work for everyone. There is no treatment that is a "standard" for depression, especially the type that includes suicidal thoughts, as in your case.

Weight gain can be both a cause of and a side-effect of depression, but there is *always* (imho) an underlying issue that must be addressed. Once you start getting the depression in treatment, then your attempts to lose any weight that you want/need to will be more successful.

I tried losing weight many times in my life...but it wasn't until I forced some changes in my life that I was able to keep at it. I moved out of state, got a new job, got divorced (yes, a good thing!), started seeing a therapist, got a new medication, and am focusing my life on my son and myself. All of those changes were very hard to force (yes, force), but it was worth it for me.

If you feel that those suicidal thoughts are getting stronger, please reach out for help. The Association for the Prevention of Suicide is equipped and designed specifically to help people in crisis.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you for all the advices here , I’ve made some serious commitments and kind of changed myself. Now I’m aiming to lose more 💜bp2pbusgv0x5.jpeg

Wow! You're doing fabulous!