Anyone change goal weight?

Pretty much been fantasizing about being 65kg being the last weight I remember being before i got pregnant with my 1st but not I'm not so sure i was that weight at all . I was really slim but 4 pregnancies and bad food choices lead me to be 96kg , I'm now 70kg and thought I'd be so happy being 5kg away from that goal but now I look at bmi and see i should be 55-59kg which seems so far away. It's like I was so close and now so far because the new goal.

How did u feel changing goal weight of u did?

(Apologies for the kg, I dont know conversions)

Replies

• melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Edit: 65kg at 3m pg so I could have gained some weight hence I'm not sure what I'm weight was
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Before there was BMI, there were some charts, that if I recall correctly, were put out by insurance actuaries,l. The charts supposedly had the ideal weight for a given height. I think BMI it a bit more generous.

But when I was younger, I drove myself nuts because that chart said I should weigh max 168 lbs. I was pretty comfy at about 175. But I constantly obsessed and berated myself over 7-8 lbs. I thought of myself as fat.

I took up running. With enough running I got to 168 and was miserable. What I needed was fitness. BTW in BMI, terms, 175 would have been fine. But that chart said 168 or maybe 169. Since I was already fat at 175, what the heck? Let’s eat. An entirely misguided way of thinking that caused a lot of problems.

All that said, how do you feel? I mean physically. You keeping up with the kids? Feet ok? Knees? Back?

How comfortable are you with your routine at 70kg? You happy with how you’re living? What you’re eating? Like how you look? Good for you.

If I read you’re post right, you like what you’re doing and think 65 kg is within reach. Why not just try for that and wait and see? I got to my goal weight of 184lbs but over time (years) find I’m comfortable at about 170. Never would have believed it. Give it time. A lot of time. Don’t obsess over the number on the scale and what the authorities say you “should” weigh. Live your life. Enjoy your family. Have fun.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    I have changed my goal weight so many times I can barely remember what it was in the first place. Was too big, lost some to get back to where I was. Wanted to lose a bit more, so I did. Oops lost too much, look weird, try to gain a bit. Oops again, end up putting on too much, need to lose a bit again... but not as much as last time.

No big deal. Of course it's helpful to have concrete goals but hitting a certain number won't necessarily make you happy. Knowing I have the tools in my tool belt to lose weight, gain weight, try and build muscle etc when I want to is something that does make me happy. Or at least comforted. Enjoy the process, learn things!
  • melto1989
    88olds wrote: »
    Before there was BMI, there were some charts, that if I recall correctly, were put out by insurance actuaries,l. The charts supposedly had the ideal weight for a given height. I think BMI it a bit more generous.

But when I was younger, I drove myself nuts because that chart said I should weigh max 168 lbs. I was pretty comfy at about 175. But I constantly obsessed and berated myself over 7-8 lbs. I thought of myself as fat.

I took up running. With enough running I got to 168 and was miserable. What I needed was fitness. BTW in BMI, terms, 175 would have been fine. But that chart said 168 or maybe 169. Since I was already fat at 175, what the heck? Let’s eat. An entirely misguided way of thinking that caused a lot of problems.

All that said, how do you feel? I mean physically. You keeping up with the kids? Feet ok? Knees? Back?

How comfortable are you with your routine at 70kg? You happy with how you’re living? What you’re eating? Like how you look? Good for you.

If I read you’re post right, you like what you’re doing and think 65 kg is within reach. Why not just try for that and wait and see? I got to my goal weight of 184lbs but over time (years) find I’m comfortable at about 170. Never would have believed it. Give it time. A lot of time. Don’t obsess over the number on the scale and what the authorities say you “should” weigh. Live your life. Enjoy your family. Have fun.

Hi, I'm glad you found your comfy weight. That's what I'm trying to do really is trying to guess if my ideal weight is what the bmi says it should be. I think your right, best to assess as I reach smaller goals and see how I feel then.

I feel great as per my health and mind. I dont suffer any ongoing conditions and I'm really happy with how I've lost so much weight the healthy way.
    I dont love how I look so mostly the rest of the weight just losing the last flabby bits like love handles and such. I thought once I reached my goal I'd start toning etc

Thanks for your input :)
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Well, I'm aiming for 159 lbs which is the very top of 'healthy weight' for my height.

Sometimes I think I'd like to adjust my weight goal to 150 or even 145, but self-doubt creeps in: "You haven't seen the 140s since you were 19, what makes you think you could ever get back there?". I of course, tell my ego to shut it. None the less, I'm going to wait until I reach my current goal before I adjust. A lot could happen. I could start lifting weights (a goal) in which case the 140s may not be realistic due to muscle mass. Or I might be perfectly happy at 159 lbs and not want to shell out for yet another new wardrobe. One moment at a time!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I started out here in January at 173 with the goal of 150 and fitting nicely into my clothes again.

Once I got into the groove of logging, found out how many calories I actually needed and why, and reading the boards, I blew past 150 and over the weeks and months have reached 130.

None of my (old) clothes fit anymore, but this time its because they’re too big.

• melto1989
    I started out here in January at 173 with the goal of 150 and fitting nicely into my clothes again.

Once I got into the groove of logging, found out how many calories I actually needed and why, and reading the boards, I blew past 150 and over the weeks and months have reached 130.

None of my (old) clothes fit anymore, but this time its because they’re too big.

Oh wow, very inspirational <3 great work
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    My original goal weight was 135. After two years of dieting I never managed to get there. 143 was my lowest. I finally realized that since my doc was happy with 165 I should be able to settle at 145. I still wistfully think of 135 but I'm healthy now and satisfied to stay where I am. I think lots of us start out at such high weights that we don't really know for sure what a proper weight will be for us. Frankly the last time I weighed 135 I was 16. I'm 62 now so it was kind of silly to think I could get back there. I started at 251 so my doc is thrilled where I am now. Settle where you feel healthy and where you can maintain.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    @melto1989 -thank you :smile:
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    BMI is literally the worst way to judge yourself. It doesn't take into consideration muscle mass/body fat etc.
    But to answer your question, yes. My GW changes all the time, bouncing usually between 125 to 155. Who knows! Right now I'm 153 and not where I'd like to be so the next goal is 145. We'll see when I get there.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Yep, hit my goal weight of 118. Decided I wanted more muscle and worked on adding some. Now I sit at 126-128 and am smaller than I was at 118; much happier too. My goals all fall in the line of body composition now.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Sorry, I didn't adjust my weight loss goal, but reading through this thread I made a couple of observations I'd like to comment on.

It has already been mentioned in a couple of posts-
    Reaching a goal weight and being able to maintain that weight in comfort are two different things.
    Look at what your maintenance cals will be, (without exercise because at some point we nearly all have exercise down times for various reasons), and decide if that is doable long term. It is better to be able to maintain long term in the overweight catagory than to diet yo-yo trying for an unattainable goal.
    Also, don't be afraid to take a long maintenance break and reassess your goal weight.

Look too at how much you are depending on exercise cals for your saitiety cals. Can you carry that level of exercise into maintenance?
    Thought I sometimes did more than an hour a day when losing, I knew long term an hour was as much as I was willing to do, so that is what I based my maintenance on.

A few have mentioned that once a certain weight has been reached they will start to tone, weight train, etc.

Start now.

It is easier to maintain the muscle you have, than to lose it and have to rebuild.

You will not regret it, and you will appreciate you body's composition at your new weight. You may also be happy with your body at a higher weight.

Cheers, h.