Choosing the maintaining weight

DvoycY
DvoycY Posts: 38 Member
edited November 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
How do you go about it?

Before, I have thought that body fat percentage is the king and that as a man you should aim for ten percentage

After reaching ten percentage with some muscle mass I have decided to go for the BMI - if under 18.5 is anorexic I will then maintain 19 to be as lean as possible while being healthy; in my opinion aesthetics are all about being lean and having definition

Currently I am 135 pounds at a height of 5'10 - my strength and size (more like definition) gains are going up in the gym, however I am slightly confused if I should maintain my current weight or should slightly bulk. Recomp is working so far for the last month but I keep reading online all the time that as a man "you need to be pushing 200lbs" - not sure if this is being highly sarcastic or if there is some truth to it, like being a big buff dude is attractive (for modelling business I was told that it is all about definition, also giving a leaner face with a lower bf %)

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    There is no truth in that you need to be 200lbs

Choose a weight range that you are comfortable with.

Stop over thinking the minutiae
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    I picked the amount it would require to maintain as my goal weight. It is overweight but looking at my age (69+) and regular exercise I didn't want to live on 1370 cal per day for the healthy BMI range.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    I think the "pushing 200lbs" narrative is completely body dysmorphia of the bodybuilding community bleeding over; on par with "you aren't really lifting if the bar isn't bending" type of nonsense. Not everyone is going to be a 6'4" 225lb specimen. Like sijomial said, aesthetics are largely based on personal preference and each individual has varied ideas. I'd hit a somewhat fluffy 180lbs around this time last year and got conflicting comments of "don't cut, you'll look scrawny" to "looking a little too bulky" from two different coworkers on the same day (6'1", <15% body fat at the time, for reference).
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    DvoycY wrote: »
    How do you go about it?

Before, I have thought that body fat percentage is the king and that as a man you should aim for ten percentage

After reaching ten percentage with some muscle mass I have decided to go for the BMI - if under 18.5 is anorexic I will then maintain 19 to be as lean as possible while being healthy; in my opinion aesthetics are all about being lean and having definition

Currently I am 135 pounds at a height of 5'10 - my strength and size (more like definition) gains are going up in the gym, however I am slightly confused if I should maintain my current weight or should slightly bulk. Recomp is working so far for the last month but I keep reading online all the time that as a man "you need to be pushing 200lbs" - not sure if this is being highly sarcastic or if there is some truth to it, like being a big buff dude is attractive (for modelling business I was told that it is all about definition, also giving a leaner face with a lower bf %)

Strictly speaking, 200lbs at 5'10" is overweight. Other than ensuring you do not lose any weight because your BMI is currently very low, maybe weight is not the best metric to go by at this point? Focus on gaining the strength you want to have while maintaining your low BF% and let the scale say what the scale says.

Your weight should naturally come up as you put on more muscle and you've got a long way to go before you get to 200lbs. Even if you make that your target now, you can decide somewhere along your journey that 200lbs is not what you really want and make adjustments at that time.

FWIW, I think you look pretty darn good now.