What did you do with clothes that are now too large for you?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    So I pretty much cleared the closet of long sleeve shirts and went ahead and took the short sleeves that were left. I had been wearing a lot of oversized shorts because you can kin of get away with it, but they don't look good.

I also looked for shirts at Goodwill. Long sleeve "office casual" patterned dress shirts. For whatever reason, you can find those in really good shape, often with tags. I understand that as I have bought some that I never wore; seemed to look like something I would wear at the store and then was never quite what I wanted when dressing.

Anyway, I now wear medium and trim/athletic cut fit best. I even try some smalls as a few fit. Looking for those really fives you some perspective on the shape the general public is in. There are probably more 2XLs than mediums and smalls put together.

Sizes in general are wack. I had a couple of larges that I never wore but kept because they were too small. (could have become one of those nearly new shirts at Goodwill). They now fit, though they are a little loose around the belly. I have a small island shirt that fits extremely well; I get a lot of comments about how much I have lost when I wear it. That's just crazy. I am a trim fit medium.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited November 2018
    I think you can find a lot of good wearable clothes at second hand shops.. a lot with tags even. One place near here is a more "nonprofit charity supporting" type of place. Clothes that are the color of the week are 25 cents and the 2nd week they are 2 for 25 cents. Of course, if I find something I really like I will pay the $2 for a shirt, because either it or I won't be there during the 25 cent week, lol. Really spoils you...don't even want to shop at Goodwill anymore.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    I think you can find a lot of good wearable clothes at second hand shops.. a lot with tags even. One place near here is a more "nonprofit charity supporting" type of place. Clothes that are the color of the week are 25 cents and the 2nd week they are 2 for 25 cents. Of course, if I find something I really like I will pay the $2 for a shirt, because either it or I won't be there during the 25 cent week, lol. Really spoils you...don't even want to shop at Goodwill anymore.

What great deals! There are only two major second-hand stores near me. One's a Salvation Army and is very expensive. It's ridiculous that they want upwards of $10 for shirts and pants that have holes/stains/pilling on them. The other store is very reasonable with its prices and has better quality clothing, but they use some kind of detergent/deodorizer on their clothes that has an 'old-fashioned' scent. Luckily, it goes away after a few washes.
  • CarvedTones
    edited November 2018
    Goodwill isn't terrible and there are three within 5 miles or so. I got 3 shirts at one and three at another, a couple look brand new and none are old/worn. Total for all 6 was around $25. Having ~10 shirts suitable for work (it's always semi-casual) is a good rotation. Another nice thing about smaller shirts is that my arms weren't longer when I was heavier so cuffs were pretty much always annoying. Now they aren't trying to creep up to my palms!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Keep then in a box in the attic.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Goodwill got 'em all
  • CarvedTones
    psychod787 wrote: »

That seems like it would make it too easy for me to accept some gain with the "I will just get a couple of pairs of pants that are a little more comfortable while I lose back down". Slippery slope. I decided that gaining needs to cause a real problem; I absolutely do not want to buy larger clothes and I think I would resist that better.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

That seems like it would make it too easy for me to accept some gain with the "I will just get a couple of pairs of pants that are a little more comfortable while I lose back down". Slippery slope. I decided that gaining needs to cause a real problem; I absolutely do not want to buy larger clothes and I think I would resist that better.

Well, I am regaining slowly for some health reasons. Most of my current clothes are thrift store finds. Now my 400lbs cloths are all gone except 1 shirt and one pair of pants. A reminder of what I never want to return to. Actually, I will sleep in the shirt sometimes.
  • eva_regnier
    eva_regnier Posts: 1 Member
    Donated
  • MissLotte
    MissLotte Posts: 101 Member
    I used to keep them but then I had a wardrobe blitz and donated those that were still good, recycled the older ones and altered a couple.

I'm actually really glad that I don't keep them now. My current wardrobe fits my current size and although I still have plenty to lose if they start feeling a bit tight it's a reminder that I'm slacking off and need to work harder. I have to wear them, they're the only clothes I've got!!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Too big clothes don't make me feel good in my skin, so I give them away to friends who are also going through body changes and need new items, or I sell the good quality ones, or donate the average stuff.

I vividly remember how good it felt to get rid of some of my bigger stuff when I first started - stuff I bought because it fit and not because i loved it. A lot of wasn't even good enough for donation after being worn out either through pregnancies or stretched out with weight gain. So long and thanks for the memories.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    When I started losing I created a "fat bag" with my good clothes, just in case, and got rid of the rubbish. Then as I progressed lower and lower the "fat bag" went to charity and I started a new one.
    A couple of things I had tailored, because they were too good not to keep.

Luckily I had a lot of smaller things I got back into - my fattest of fat clothes were cheap supermarket buys to see me through when I ballooned post-injury.

I still need to go through all my t-shirts and find the ones that look ridiculously big and get rid of those. Some tees look cool baggy, others not so much.

I'm not replacing unless it's a good quality item, to encourage me to keep a minimal wardrobe. Some of these good quality items are from charity shops... good label, good cut, good material, hardly worn.
  • samsanti007
    samsanti007 Posts: 4 Member
    I've donated a lot of too-big clothes, but I've had to take in the waist on a few pairs of jeans because I can't afford more right now. Thrift stores are awesome for a college student that's lost twenty pounds :)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    gcibsthom wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my two sons are now wearing my fat clothes...and I am wearing their old skinny clothes...

My son can wear some of my fat clothes. But not my pants. He's even bigger in the waist than I ever was. He's 26 and watching me do this and not changing his approach to diet and exercise.

Not that I know it all. But I do know from having been 26 and now being 2x26 and then some that it was easier then than now.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Just a thought for people who might have a lot of shirts/T shirts they like or that have sentimental value, but are now too big - turn them into a throw or wall hanging!

https://www.projectrepat.com/

Those who are handy with a sewing machine (or know someone who is) could probably do this themselves too, since this service isn't cheap. But it's a way to actually use those shirts and still get some enjoyment from them even if you can't actually wear them any more.

(I keep thinking I'm going to do this with the concert souvenir shirts hubby and I have packed away, but at the moment can't bring myself to cut them up. Maybe one day. :) )
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    I kept mine for a while but then realized it was like giving myself an "ok" to gain weight back. I don't notice I'm gaining weight as easily if my clothes are all baggy. I don't think I have anything from my bigger days.

The nice ones I give to my sister in law. Everything else goes to my mom's house for her occasional yard sales.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I actually went into Goodwill at donation time and got a $150 pair of jeans for $8

Talk about good timing! Does your store put out new stuff at the same time every week?
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Sent all mine to ThredUP and used the credits I got to buy new, smaller clothes :)

I dont know why I never thought of this! Thanks!
  • CarvedTones
    I just donated a few more that were just a little too big; getting confident, which I think is a good thing. Clothing sizes are wack; I donated some 32 slacks that I could pull down without unbuttoning and bought some 32 dress slacks that are only very slightly loose; I could wear them without a belt. They are what I am likely to wear to the company Christmas party. I tried on some 29s! Pockets were open a bit too much and the last thing I want to do is look like I am busting out of clothes. But I could button them (2 different pair) and still breathe. I bought a pair of 30s that are snug at the waist but fit nicely through pockets and legs. I look really good in those, if I may so myself. :smiley: Amazing.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Keep or donate? If you are keeping them, why?

To keep - dresses, skirts, blouses and shirts due for alterations because they were meant to last me the 2 Seasons (2018 Autumn/Winter). I'm due to shop again, time-permitting.

I couldn't donate much of my big-mass clothing items, for clothes can not be gently worn with my body type, me massive or me tight, so we'd had them repurposed.