What did you do with clothes that are now too large for you?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Consignment stores are a good option while you're still losing. You can trade clothes for ones that fit and keep doing that until you reach your goal. It's less expensive than buying new.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    I have a one in one out policy for all my clothes. If I get a new (smaller) pair of pants then one old pair has to go. Same for each type of item. Keeps the closet tidy and the spending under control. My Mum had a thrifty policy, you never need more than 3 of any item - on to be wearing, one in the laundry and one in the drawer, While I have definitely increased the numbers I still have limits.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    I will keep everything until after maintaining goal weight for after a year and then donate them. I put them in the vacuum sealed and store them in my shed.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    Gave them to a friend who's just starting her weight loss journey, and she's sharing with some friends from church that are in similar situations. Glad to help, and to be rid of them!
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Keeping them as I can fit into them now :smiley: cant afford new ones anyway, the only stuff that looks weird on me now are my business suits, the jackets are way too big.

Just saving them in case I need for a job interview, will try to pad them out by wearing some sports gear under my shirt:)
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    I started at a size 16 & now I'm a 8-10, after the first year I donated the size 16's after the second year I donated the size 14's I have the size 12's in storage boxes in a spare closed just in case.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm keeping a pair of jeans (52W) and a shirt that was my Homer Simpson outfit a few years back. I'm going to wear it all again for Halloween one year.

I'd like to say I've donated the rest, but truth be told I have a pile in the bedroom (like @pinuplove a few pages back) that I need to sort and donate but I just haven't gotten around to.

Oh, and I went through my suit jackets last night and my wife laughed as I put them on.

@Tacklewasher And they are still there :tongue: I've given up on the bags and just started piling things on top.
    d76vqmo1ahjb.jpg

Hey @pinuplove.

Got my piles in bags.

4 industrial sized garbage bags full.
    bve7ayl8eo97.jpg

2 for Sally Ann and 2 with cold weather stuff for the Gospel Mission. Everything 2XL and larger is now gone and just a few XL things I want to keep, otherwise its gone.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    @Tacklewasher *kitten*, you're going to shame me into doing something about my pile. It hasn't moved :tongue: I'm about to have to add a couple more pairs of work trousers to it...

I'm sure your wife is rolling her eyes and saying 'Finally!' :lol:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    @Tacklewasher *kitten*, you're going to shame me into doing something about my pile. It hasn't moved :tongue: I'm about to have to add a couple more pairs of work trousers to it...

@pinuplove it was more like she was laughing at me as I tried stuff on to be sure I wanted to throw it out. Going from a 52 waist to a 38 waist apparently makes a difference in how clothes look on you.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2018

@pinuplove it was more like she was laughing at me as I tried stuff on to be sure I wanted to throw it out. Going from a 52 waist to a 38 waist apparently makes a difference in how clothes look on you.

I kind of want to try on my biggest stuff one more time. Maybe I'll keep one pair for the days I'm feeling particularly fat. Guess we have to wait until next year for that Homer costume?

On the opposite side of the equation, I can button and zip my 'UG' (ultimate goal) pair of jeans. I wore them on my first date with now husband and yes, they are so 90s but I don't care! :lol: A bit muffiny, but I see worse every time I go to Walmart, heh.
  • Bellavita32
    Bellavita32 Posts: 868 Member
    Donate I never want to be a large ever agin!!
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    So the last time I lost weight, I had these beautiful skirts that I kept forever because they were well made and looked awesome. And I kept the weight off for many years, and I finally said to myself, "Let's take the waists in." So I did. I altered every single on of them to fit my new size. And they were glorious.

Then my thyroid quit on me and I gained sixty pounds. >_< I kept them for years thinking I could lose the weight (but was too tired because... thyroid). Now I'm losing weight again, slowly but surely, but I don't have those skirts anymore because I donated them in a fit of angry depression.

As for the rest of my clothes, they're pretty inexpensive, I'll donate as the time comes.
  • AndreaRM0917
    AndreaRM0917 Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2018
    I have lost over 85lbs so most to nearly all of my cloths don't fit even some I bought as I was losing weight. I have donated a small handful of cloths that were just beyond ridiculously big such as, a 2x when i am now a medium to large size. Now with the rest of my cloths a part of not getting rid of them is disbelief that I am actually smaller and the fear I may need them I won't lie. The other part is some of them are just comfy t-shirts I like wearing at home. Lastly, I do plan on getting pregnant one last time so technically I am sure I'll need some of them for that. After all is said and done I will surely donate all of them because, other than a possible pregnancy I am never going back to as big as I was at 230lbs....ever! Shooooot even getting pregnant I won't even come close to that as I am only 136lbs now. 😊
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Gave several items to a guy at work. Others to Salvation Army.
    Kept none. No room in closet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited November 2018
    I donated most of it along the way. When a friend, coworker or relative said "that's way too big for you" I would stick it in the donation pile.

I did hit a certain point though, around size 12, when I had masses of clothing in sizes 18-22 and 2X that were no longer wearable yet super nice. I live in a mid-sized city and didn't want to mess with selling online (always hit & miss)...so I had a big garage sale (advertising the specific sizes and brands) and sold all of it within like 2.5 hours to about a dozen ladies. Most of them bought like 10 items. I had nothing left and made several hundred dollars. I was shocked at the good outcome, as I really expected to have bags left for donation afterward.

Five years later, haven't regretted it once!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    I held onto mine for awhile just in case. I donated most of mine to a shelter or Goodwill, but kept a few pairs of pants/shirts kinda as a security blanket I guess.

We've been purging the house over the past 3 years and I just cleaned out my closet of all articles too big or that I haven't worn in a year and donated it all away.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    I'm donating my fat clothes, or giving them to family. This is NOT a diet (implying it's temporary). This is the way I live now, so there is no going back.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I kept a couple of items as a reminder of where I started. The rest went back to Goodwill.
    f1vs1p2cy257.jpg