Question about Strength Training in the Morning

I’m currently doing treadmill running first thing in the mornings which I’m going to vary to HIIT intervals. In the afternoons I currently do a variety of exercise, which I’m going to change to mainly strength training. I’m wondering if there is any detriment in doing strength training in the morning & treadmill in the afternoon instead? I’m asking as my treadmill is quite noisy when I run fast & I think that the constant changing of pace will wake my kids up! I would appreciate it if anyone could give advice, as I’ve always heard that cardio in the morning is the way to go.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    do it whenever is the best time to do it.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited November 2018
    It's fine. The only detriment is if you don't have enough energy in the morning to do strength training (for me, it's rare that I feel good enough in the morning to workout), but if you're a morning person, no issue.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    "I’ve always heard that cardio in the morning is the way to go."

Never heard that said in four decades of training, do it when it suits you and lets your children sleep!
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    It's fine. The only detriment is if you don't have enough energy in the morning to do strength training (for me, it's rare that I feel good enough in the morning to workout), but if you're a morning person, no issue.

See I'm the opposite. Straight after breakfast, brisk walk to the gym, raring to go. I used to be dragging myself when I went after work and had been sitting on my butt all day. And I'm far from a morning person! Totally personal.
    klsn wrote: »
    I’ve always heard that cardio in the morning is the way to go.

So have I, but it's just a thing people say with no real basis. Like don't eat after 6pm or eat 6 small meals a day or your metabolism stops or you can't lose weight without cutting out carbs. And tbh what does it even matter if cardio in the morning is whatever% more beneficial (not that there is much evidence) if it doesn't suit your routine?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What is your concern about why it would be detrimental?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I started lifting before 6am this morning. I felt great at work all day...I'm exhausted now at 445pm.

The only "detriment" would be that I'm willing to skip any cardio in the PM. Like I need an excuse to skip cardio...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2018
    The timing of your exercise doesn't matter...like at all.

There is some benefit to training for endurance fasted to become more fat adapted for endurance events...but as far as general exercise, fitness, calorie burn, etc it makes no difference.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member

This is me. I have tried strength training in the morning, but I couldn't lift the same weight as I did when I lift in the afternoon. I am not much of a morning person and to get a workout in before work, I have to be out of bed at 4:30AM. Just do what works for you.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I lift in the mornings, and I am far from the only person in my gym lifting in the morning, including some competitors, so I don't think there's any kind of "detriment" to it.
  • klsn
    klsn Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you everyone for the comments 👍🏻