How do you eat your salads?

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Usually just give it a good toss and then get to work with my mouth, personally.

How do you eat yours--with your ears? ;)
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    RivenV wrote: »
    Usually just give it a good toss and then get to work with my mouth, personally.

How do you eat yours--with your ears? ;)

I was looking for this answer haha looks like you beat me to it !
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    usually just balsamic vinegar if i'm cutting. but if not then a bit of olive oil as well as balsamic. I also like hummus and balsamic. Apple cider vinegar is good, red wine vinegar...

in the olden days when I didn't count calories i'd do olive oil, salt, vinegar (usually balsamic), garlic, lemon and some dried herbs.
  • XO__TWOD
    XO__TWOD Posts: 55 Member
    I love vinaigrette dressings over creamy. I love spring mix, kale, spinach, cabbage, romaine, pretty much anything as a base. I sometimes throw fruit and nuts in my salads. Depending on what kind it is. Also, I love cheese. Goat cheese, feta, Parmesan, blue cheese... so I experiment a lot with salads lol. If you go on Pinterest, you’ll find plenty of recipes.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I really just like "taco salad", I make mine with lettuce & other greens, sauteed onion and/or peppers, seasoned TVP or ground beef, and a little sour cream and salsa...maybe a bit of lime juice. I don't normally add any cheese or tortilla chips to it which saves calories and I find the flavor is still completely like a regular taco salad. If I'm going to add something to give it more calories I'd rather put in half an avocado.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't! A salad for a meal just seems so sad to me. I will have a side salad now and again and I usually do ranch which isn't good on the calories but they do make light ranch. I have also done cottage cheese to kind of get that dressing feel, and maybe just a tiny bit of ranch to get the flavor.

We have entree salads all the time in the summer. His typical salad will be chicken, bacon, hardboiled egg, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and ranch dressing. Mine could be chicken, bacon, cucumber, red pepper, lettuce, cottage cheese, and 1 T Newman's ranch dressing. Like you, when I use cottage cheese, I can use less dressing.

When we have steak, he has a side salad and potato salad, and I have Thai beef salad with 50-75 grams cooked rice.

I also make the Joy of Cooking's ranch dressing and Tzatziki sauce recipes a few times per summer.

I don't like salad in the winter so switch to broccoli, but get burnt out on that by the end of the winter. Fortunately, I have since discovered Buffalo Cauliflower.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I hate salad dressing. The Bolthouse Farms dressings are tolerable, but ... meh.

I usually will either eat a taco salad made with Beyond Meat crumbles and salsa with romaine, tomatoes, and cucumbers or I'll have a whatever salad (the more variety the better) that I'll toss with cottage cheese.

Obviously when I eat salads, they are usually meal salads.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    bolthouse dressing of choice measured out and put a lid on salad and shake the crap out of it. . full coverage with less dressing. make sure to scrape lid.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    I just prefer to make Good Seasons from the dry packet and only use 1 tablespoon. I like my salads lightly dressed and also include grapes instead of tomatoes in the winter because they are pretty anemic and tasteless then. I also like the bit of sweetness grapes lend to the salad. Any salad makes a great meal for me.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    salsa or balsamic or avocado or walden's zero calorie ceasar
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I can't eat salad anymore but loved using salsa as dressing
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    No dressing most of the time. I've never liked the taste and texture of most salad dressing. Occasionally I'll do a vinaigrette if the salad I'm eating is too tasteless.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Generally no dressing at all in my salads. If there is any it tends to be the brine from my jar of gurken.
    I loath oily and creamy dressings I find them taking away from what I really like the veggies in the salad. My mother usually makes her salads swimming in a dressing and then declares it is low fat (yoghurt based) so healthy. I refuse to eat the dressing with salad as I call it.
    Occasionally I will have a vinaigrette and usually one where the sours are in the lead. When ordering a salad when eating out I always ask for it on the side and will either not use it or only 10% of what the proprietor would drench the veggies in
  • kristenwino
    kristenwino Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2018
    I switch up regular dressing, with a few spoonfuls of Cottage Cheese. Instead of salad dressing.
    If I want flavour in it, I'll add dried dill, salt/pepper. OR I'll mix smoked paprika, salt/pepper. OR cayenne pepper,salt/pepper. I add the spices into the cottage cheese before I spoon it on a garden salad. Plus it's added protein. Just a few tablespoons is all I need.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Break up lettuce and spinach, add thinly sliced carrots, chopped tomatoes, sliced cucumber, cubed cooked chicken, small amount of shredded cheese, and sometimes chopped red bell pepper. Toss everything together and place in bowl. Add a small container with 1Tablespoon of dressing. Put cover on bowl. Place bowl in my lunch bag and take it with me to work.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I love balsamic vinaigrette. Lately, I have been using my own olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to season the mixed greens. I also love a sprinkle of sumac on my salad.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    I will use salad dressing if I want it, but I usually use either salsa or nothing. I like veggies and don't need dressing to make myself eat them.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    With a fork. I add some red onions and olives to my salads so no need for dressing for more flavor.
  • absandbootygoal
    absandbootygoal Posts: 10 Member
    Water melon and feta cheese is good together.
    Or I like to add some halloumi