TEAM: Gutbusters (November)

Replies

• caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Hey all!

I'm finally back from a long, much needed vacation! If it's too late to officially join, that's ok! I'll still just post for accountability if that's alright

Week 1
    caitlynns727
    Previous: 181.5 (yikes! Big weight gain on vacay)
    Current: 179.1

Not surprised by the gain at all. All-inclusive is just too good to resist! Hoping to get down to 170 before the end of the year

I noticed I wasn't on the spreadsheet for Week 1 but had a starting weight, so just in case here's my weigh in from Wednesday again 😊
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Username: dommylifts
    Weigh in week: 2
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous weight: 153 I believe
    Current weight: 154.6

I put on 1.6 pounds and I am not upset about this for two reasons. As I mentioned in previous posts I think I lost too much in week one and I’ve been adjusting calories since. I’ve also been hitting the gym and lifting like crazy so I’m hoping some of the weight is muscle as I definitely think I look a little less fluffy! My goal is still 140! Thanks everyone for your support and I sincerely apologize for not losing this week to help the team. Next week I will lose as I have a better feel for my calorie intake.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    November 11
    Exercised?: Yes (3km in 23mins).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Daughter had first roller hockey game today. Enjoyed it, but has a lot to work on.

Went for a walk while waiting for match to begin, then went flying after lunch. Beautiful weather.

Not much else to report.
  • dommylifts
    November 11
    Exercised?: Yes, shoulder presses and heavy power cleans. Some jump roping and small muscle work.
    Calories?: I was outside of my calories.
    Tracked?: Yes.
  • craigo3154
    WishfulThinning18
    Sunday
    PW: 294.3
    CW: 289.4

Well I'm back to where I basically started this month. Feels like I completely wasted my whole weight loss... I know I haven't, but does anyone else feel like if they gain 5 pounds that they actually gained every single pound back that they ever loss or is it just me? Hopefully on the straight and narrow for the remainder of my journey. I'll have to make good decisions for Thanksgiving... and a Friendsgiving... But both are on the same day (ones breakfast with friends before family time)... so I may just cut my losses for that day lol.

@WishfulThinning18. Not wasted. Time learning. You went up and down, this is pretty normal on a short time scale.

It is not unusual for people to gain back all they have previously lost. This is providing they do not fundamentally change what they do (regular eating habits and activity level).

Noone gets overweight overnight. Noone loses 10+% bodyweight in a week either. It's a long term process (up or down).

Unless you are 8 foot tall, 280 lbs is not a "natural" weight. So you would also likely be having health issues with this too.

Now is the time to do some research and self experimentation. What small permanent changes in your diet can you live with? Do you have emotional eating triggers that self-sabotage your efforts?

Most modern western diets are too processed carb heavy (because they are quick, cheap, easy and have a long shelf life).

There is lots of mis-information distributed AGAINST short term fasting (or intermittent fasting).

Low fat diets have been shown to be ineffective at reducing LDL cholesterol or weight loss.

Ask lots of questions. Plenty of people here that know a LOT about changing lifestyle (ask @LesIckaBod. or @grebber1. for example. Both have lost a LOT of weight).

Changing your lifestyle is NOT easy. It takes consistent work. However if you get it right, you seldom feel hungry and you weight will change (slowly at first, but then it will almost seem to fall away with little effort).

We are here to help and support you. You CAN do this.
  • auntdeb37
    auntdeb37 Posts: 32 Member
    November 11
    Exercised: No
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes
  • auntdeb37
    auntdeb37 Posts: 32 Member
    Where is the spreadsheet located?
  • craigo3154
    edited November 2018
    auntdeb37 wrote: »
    Where is the spreadsheet located?

@auntdeb37. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18v5UwAq-IxvrIzME4GgFha3FI5EbPMHKg6HIE-v9CQk/edit?usp=sharing

You can also find it on the groups main page. Click on the work November in capitals.
    November Information

The November spreadsheet is current, view you and your competitor's progress.

NOVEMBER

The teams weights are in the individual team tabs.

There is a summary tab for each weeks results.

All totals are updated as captains enter in the weights for each competitor.
  • bubblemum2
    bubblemum2 Posts: 33 Member
    Monday weigh in -149 lbs woohoo it said “148 but then flickers over lol I’m going to say 149lb . Who ever said I needed sleep was right because I didn’t change my diet just slept more !
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Hey all!

I'm finally back from a long, much needed vacation! If it's too late to officially join, that's ok! I'll still just post for accountability if that's alright

Week 1
    caitlynns727
    Previous: 181.5 (yikes! Big weight gain on vacay)
    Current: 179.1

Not surprised by the gain at all. All-inclusive is just too good to resist! Hoping to get down to 170 before the end of the year

I noticed I wasn't on the spreadsheet for Week 1 but had a starting weight, so just in case here's my weigh in from Wednesday again 😊

@caitlynns727 Sorry about that! I had to wait for your name to be added, then forgot to go back and add the weight afterward. You had a great week, too! Down 1.32%!
  • LesIckaBod
    Happy Monday Weigh-In!

Please use the following format for posting your weights:
    Username
    Nov Week 2
    PW:
    CW

@90kgtoNewMe
    @akasaranoh
    @bubblemum2 - I see you mentioned a weigh-in in your post, but I'm not sure what the final weight should be. Please use the weigh-in format above to make sure I get the right scores in
    @CDiddyGetsFitty
    @eevang
    @jm216
    @Mariamamjad
    @michellelagle
    @ryjar80
    @westray16
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod
    Nov Week 2
    PW: 166.7
    CW: 165.6

I am bumping up and down this middle 160-range fully knowing that if I just committed 100% to tracking again, I would drop probably 3+ easy lbs within a week. Exercise is holding me together right now, and my stalled progress is entirely because of food choices.

I do have some good habits ingrained: it's been easy to make breakfast and lunch choices that are on track: hard-boiled eggs and coffee in the AM, a salad with a heap of protein (tuna, salmon, or egg whites) and lots of color (broccoli, red peppers, beets) for lunch. Also, it's been a pleasure to keep on track with exercise.

Here's what has to improve:
    • I need to make my post-workout protein drink. It keeps me from getting hungry and eating my kids' carby snacks in the afternoon.
    • I need to improve dinners. My husband likes to grill in the summer, but he's not been grilling for months now, and I need to get back in the kitchen and make the chicken breast meals that works best for me. He prefers red meat and pork chops, but his lack of desire to cook meant we threw away probably $25 of meat that he bought and let spoil in the fridge. (I mentioned last week we're working through a motivation problem in this house, too).

It looks like life is pointing at me getting back to pre-tracking meals for a while. We'll see how I do this week!
  • craigo3154
    November 12
    Exercised?: Yes (3km in 24mins - hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Work from home. Got lots of things done today.

My wife is on a 48 hour fast at the moment. Self experimentation to determine whether it has beneficial or adverse effects. Working on inducing ketosis and autophagy. Monitoring blood glucose levels closely to ensure no issues with hypoglycemic episodes.

Not much else to report.
  • craigo3154
    LesIckaBod wrote: »

I am bumping up and down this middle 160-range fully knowing that if I just committed 100% to tracking again, I would drop probably 3+ easy lbs within a week. Exercise is holding me together right now, and my stalled progress is entirely because of food choices.

I do have some good habits ingrained: it's been easy to make breakfast and lunch choices that are on track: hard-boiled eggs and coffee in the AM, a salad with a heap of protein (tuna, salmon, or egg whites) and lots of color (broccoli, red peppers, beets) for lunch. Also, it's been a pleasure to keep on track with exercise.

Here's what has to improve:
    • I need to make my post-workout protein drink. It keeps me from getting hungry and eating my kids' carby snacks in the afternoon.
    • I need to improve dinners. My husband likes to grill in the summer, but he's not been grilling for months now, and I need to get back in the kitchen and make the chicken breast meals that works best for me. He prefers red meat and pork chops, but his lack of desire to cook meant we threw away probably $25 of meat that he bought and let spoil in the fridge. (I mentioned last week we're working through a motivation problem in this house, too).

It looks like life is pointing at me getting back to pre-tracking meals for a while. We'll see how I do this week!

@LesIckaBod. Sounds like you know what to do.

Pre-tracking helps keep things in line while good habits re-form.

You can get back into the swing of this.

Sounds like you are pretty close to target now. You have done impressively well over the past year. Always remember where you have come from. It is easy to lose track of how far you have come when you only look forwards.
  • dommylifts
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Last night, I saw an article about a study that looked at techniques people could use to stay on track with their exercise through the fall into November, which here in the northern hemisphere can be a tough, dark, chilly slog of a month when motivation really starts to wane.

They took inactive but healthy people, and gave them activity trackers and put them in three groups:
    1. the control - did nothing new
    2. exercise - they were directed to walk or jog a certain amount of time on their own, plus join a group workout once a week
    3. meditation - practiced "body scans and mindful walking" and "quiet, seated meditations" ; also did one weekly group workout

And at the end, apparently the control group got less active over time. As the fall wore on, they were moving about 18 minutes less per day than they had been at the beginning of the study.

The other two groups moved less too, but their reduction was only 6 minutes less per day. So, that means that both being in the exercise group AND the meditation group helped keep people moving more, even when the late fall demotivation slog was underway!

Question
    Do any of you do any meditation or mindfulness activities as part of your overall wellness plan? If so, what have been the benefits for you?

I practice mindfulness and meditation. I have a book with little daily tips and tricks for mindfulness and I’ve taken ones I love and placed them in my office. My favorite one is “Remember to be mindful”. It’s very simple and when I read it I stop what I am doing and I take a few deep breaths and I remind myself who I am, where I am, what I am doing, and what the purpose of the project/work is. It keeps me on track. Where I fail is doing this at home. I need to write that quote down and put it in places around my home. I follow a YouTube channel called The Mindful Movement (it may be Mindful Meditation I need to double check). On mornings where I am feeling less than stellar I pick a meditation and just do it. Sometimes I find it helpful, sometimes I can’t stay present. It’s a journey.

• ryjar80
    ryjar80 Posts: 33 Member
    Username: ryjar80
    Nov Week 2
    PW: 159 lbs
    CW: 155.6
  • michellelagle
    michellelagle Posts: 77 Member
    Week: 2
    Username: michellelagle
    PW: 163lbs
    CW: 159lbs
    Yay! Omg I can't believe I lost 4 pounds!!!! 😁
  • dommylifts
    Hi Team!
    Not sure how many people here have a food scale or weigh there food but it has made a huge difference in my journey both in my physical appearance and in my mentality of food and portion sizes. I was shocked at how much or how little some portions really are. I have also began enjoying food way more because weighing it is so fun for me! If you don’t have a food scale I highly recommend purchasing one. I got mine for $18 at Walmart and I love it! Happy nutrition and weight journey everyone!
    Dommylifts
    ruqnyi0xc0vl.jpeg
  • LesIckaBod
    dommylifts wrote: »
    Hi Team!
    Not sure how many people here have a food scale or weigh there food but it has made a huge difference in my journey both in my physical appearance and in my mentality of food and portion sizes. I was shocked at how much or how little some portions really are. I have also began enjoying food way more because weighing it is so fun for me! If you don’t have a food scale I highly recommend purchasing one. I got mine for $18 at Walmart and I love it! Happy nutrition and weight journey everyone!
    Dommylifts

Great idea, @Dommylifts -- and thanks for sharing the youtube channel name for your meditation/ mindfulness training!

I agree that a food scale is important, and even life-changing in its ability to help you learn to recognize how much food is the "right amount" for you and your goals.

Also, I could go a caesar salad right about now....

This discussion has been closed.