What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Black liquorice is really nice tasting

I used to eat it as a kid. I do like anise cookies.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ketchup is gross

In my world, ketchup is a vegetable side dish. ;)

Explaining for others, but with apologies for making you gag: I easily eat half a cup and more of the stuff on those occasions - now rare - when I indulge in a basket of deep-fried something-or-other. Any kind of crunchy crust cooked potatoes (other than chips/crisps), while delicious, is for me best experienced as a tasty substrate for aaaallllll the ketchup.

Ranch or marinara on appropriate fried things is OK-ish, but I'm having ketchup.

It's crazy, but in my son's world, ketchup is the main dish. He will stick his fingers in it and get a handful and just eat that! I just am not a fan at all.

Depending on what it is, I do enjoy ranch and marinara. Ranch seasoned fries dipped in homemade ranch (not bottled) is delicious!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I really like Hawaiian pizza :grimace: I don't care how inauthentic that makes me.

Cultural misappropriation... :smiley:
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Jam on grilled cheese sandwiches is delicious

What kind of jam and what kind of cheese?

Any will do but a very basic with velvetta (I know I know not real cheese!). And strawberry jam
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I really like Hawaiian pizza :grimace: I don't care how inauthentic that makes me.

I do too. I think the two flavors of pineapple and canadian bacon (pepperoni is good too) offset each other nicely.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    salted cod roe taste amazing on cheese and Blood pudding and apple souce is a great tasting combination.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Most cakes (especially commercial ones) are just sickly sweet and totally yuk!

This is how I feel about frosting. Most frosting. I found a recipe that was food allergy friend for my daughter when she was little for maple meringue that's tolerable.

As for cake? Eh. I have celiac disease and haven't bothered to bake myself a gluten free cake in years, but back when I could eat gluten, I always made home made cakes. Everyone considered me a really good baker and would always ask me my secret. My secret? I cut the sugar in every recipe I cooked and increased ingredients like vanilla and cinnamon. So I was never used to cakes being overly sweet since I deliberately cooked them not to be that way.
    One time I made a Cherry pie and left out ALL of the sugar. Everybody loved it and asked for the recipe. It was much fruiter and fresher in taste. Sugar can really be cut at least in half in most baking recipes.

Ya, I always reduce sugar in baking by at least 1/3.

The JOC recipe for cream cheese frosting says, "Feel free to vary the amount of powdered sugar to taste: we have seen recipes with as little as 1 teaspoon and as much as 1/2 C sugar per ounce of cream cheese."
  • kshama2001
    Jam on grilled cheese sandwiches is delicious

Hmm, I think I will try pepper jelly in grilled cheese. I think I'd like marmalade as well.
  • kshama2001
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Oreo thins are better than the original.

GTFO of here with that nonsense.

I knew that would offend a few people :lol:

lemme guess... you think quest bars are delicious, right?

What's wrong with questbars? They're actually pretty good!
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I bought 6 of them (each a different flavor) when they were on sale at the grocery store. For every single one I tried I took one bite, encountered a horrible fake chemical taste and even worse after taste. Immediately threw it in the trash and went to rinse out my mouth. I tried 4 of them over several weeks to give it fair shot and make sure it just wasn't a flavor I didn't like. Nope, they were all trash and the last two went into the "free" pile in the break room.

I blame sucralose for the nasty chemical taste and after taste.

821a762670b3f94a7ca83424010db7a8--plague-school-lunch.jpg
  • kshama2001
    S'mores really aren't very good. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. Marshmallow anything is pretty bad, though oddly enough, I like a marshmallow or two by itself every now and then.

Have you tried making s'mores with dark chocolate?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    You can't call it a pizza if it doesn't have tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. You may also include any combination of the following toppings:

Italian sausage
    Pepperoni
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Peppers
    Black Olives
    Bacon

That is all.

Any other variations or toppings and you may not call it a pizza. I will allow you to call it a flatbread. But it's not a pizza.

Fixed it for you.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    You can't call it a pizza if it doesn't have tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. You may also include any combination of the following toppings:

Italian sausage
    Pepperoni
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Peppers
    Black Olives
    Bacon

That is all.

Any other variations or toppings and you may not call it a pizza. I will allow you to call it a flatbread. But it's not a pizza.

Fixed it for you.

Nope. Sorry.