Water retention !

I started dieting 5 days ago and I’ve changed my diet drastically but I am eating proper, taking my vitamins and following my doctors tips as well as my trainer but I noticed I’ve swollen up to no end! I’m going to go to the doctor but just curious has anyone ever had water retention so bad and it might not be water, I just noticed and others that I’ve swollen up like a ballon and it’s really odd to me and would love to hear people’s ideas and theories on this!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Did you just start taking the vitamins? Are they a reputable national brand? Or something you got off the Internet that might be a sodium tablet marketed as a vitamin?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I started dieting 5 days ago and I’ve changed my diet drastically but I am eating proper, taking my vitamins and following my doctors tips as well as my trainer but I noticed I’ve swollen up to no end! I’m going to go to the doctor but just curious has anyone ever had water retention so bad and it might not be water, I just noticed and others that I’ve swollen up like a ballon and it’s really odd to me and would love to hear people’s ideas and theories on this!

@redroses098
    Yes I have. Full on freaky cankles water retention! Cause: massive change in diet and workout, compounded by my monthly water retention aka period. It took about a month to fully go away on its own. Overhauling eating and exercise routines can freak your body out a bit, it's perfectly normal. If the retention doesn't start going away after two weeks, then seek medical attention
  • redroses098
    redroses098 Posts: 15 Member
    @psuLemon yes I just started working out again I was pregnant and faced some complications prior but I was clear to work out but I gained 6 lbs but I’m just swollen even my face eye lids it’s very odd.

@lynn_glenmont some of them are prescribed by my doctor or I was told to buy by my doctor i actually have to take a decent amount of vitamins the past couple of years because of an illness I was born with that became worse coupled with cancer which I’m cancer free as of right now but none the less I’m not taking anything I shouldn’t or anything my body isn’t use too which is why I’m gonna go to the doctor just in case but just wondering if it’s something unrelated. I can’t afford to not know what’s going into my body lol the only crazy change is the food which unless I’m allergic to something... I tried certain fishes for the first time but nothing crazy!
  • redroses098
    @VUA21 omg that sounds just like what I could be going through since everything was so sudden and been extreme! You made some good points I will see how my second week goes thank you!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    @psuLemon yes I just started working out again I was pregnant and faced some complications prior but I was clear to work out but I gained 6 lbs but I’m just swollen even my face eye lids it’s very odd.

@lynn_glenmont some of them are prescribed by my doctor or I was told to buy by my doctor i actually have to take a decent amount of vitamins the past couple of years because of an illness I was born with that became worse coupled with cancer which I’m cancer free as of right now but none the less I’m not taking anything I shouldn’t or anything my body isn’t use too which is why I’m gonna go to the doctor just in case but just wondering if it’s something unrelated. I can’t afford to not know what’s going into my body lol the only crazy change is the food which unless I’m allergic to something... I tried certain fishes for the first time but nothing crazy!

I wasn't at all intending to discourage you from seeing the doctor. Just trying to respond to your request for theories, and when there's a sudden change, I tend to look for what else might have changed at the same time. If they're the same brand of vitamins you've been taking for a while, obviously the chances of that being related are much slimmer. (Although, if you happened to start a new bottle at the same time, even of an Rx vitamin, it's always possible the bottle isn't what it says it is. People make mistakes.)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member

Clarifying question: Are you still pregnant at this point?

• redroses098
    @snickerscharlie

No I’m not pregnant at this time
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Well if you gained a few lbs of water weight is normal when you start to workout.

How long and when did you gain the 6 lbs? How often are you weighing yourself? People natural fluctuate 2-10 lbs daily.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    You could add a natural dietetic to your day , like parsley . Could you be getting more sodium these days ?
    I’d see a dr , it’s not usual to swell in your face ,hands and feet yes ,but I’ve never heard of the face . Good luck finding help 🌼
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 308 Member
    have you seen your doc yet? there are lots of things that could cause you to be edemic and it not just be water retention. you said your face is swollen ... im no doctor, but that would concern me that this is not just water retention.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Given that you've been having medical issues, I'm glad you are going to see your doctor. Please don't take suggestions from online strangers (such as taking diuretics). I'm sure they are well-meaning, but your situation is potentially more complex than what we usually would be giving advice on.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2018
    How long ago did you give birth? Were your complications related to high blood pressure or preeclampsia? Postpartum preeclampsia is a thing. Second third fourth the advice to see your doctor.